Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting MORE from your photos !

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    Id try a clean dry lint free cloth first, you could try a tiny drop of alcohol (that does not mean you drink some RUM, lol ) on the rag if a dry rag does not work, be very carefull as the contacts are easy to damage.

You can also get proffessional Metal Electric Connection Cleaners like Deoxit.

You could wrap your clean rag around a pencil that has a eraser on the top (obviously using eraser end), that way you don't need to worry about fat fingies
    thankyou lol
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 720 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DSC00650_2.JPGDSC00643_2.JPGDSC00647_2.JPGDSC00664_2.JPG
    G`day O4Off
    Would like an opinion on these taken by my 10 yearold grandson only know that the lens was 18 to55 all other setting I have no idea. Every time he and I go out he grabs the camera and fires away and there will be photos like these every time. Im thinking of a future trade maybe.
    Thanks for any comments
    Cheers and Beers Pearcey

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only one im not real keen on is the tractor stack, the candid girl shot is very good , hat man is not bad, but lighting not as good as the girl (try converting it to B&W ?) , tyre track perhaps could use a crop then it would come to life, all bloody excellent from a 10 year old tho mate
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2c worth...

Get the camera off auto. On auto the camera makes a lot of assumptions (guesses) on exposure, light balance, speed etc. I shoot AV (aperture priority) most of the time unless I'm trying to really freeze the motion of the subject. AV mode allows me to control depth-of-field which is important in most of the shots I take (bokeh). I never shoot jpeg because I don't like in-camera processing. Shooting RAW allows the camera to capture maximum detail, sure the files are bigger, but memory cards are relatively cheap, it also allows me to set white balance to auto, as it doesn't really matter when shooting RAW as it's easily changeable in processing. Downside with RAW is you have to process the images, but once you get used to it, it's a very quick process. I try to set my ISO to 100 most of the time (depending on which lens I'm using and the light conditions), there's a lot less "digital noise" at 100 on my camera (Canon 7D). I also use (mostly) lenses that have IS (Image Stabilization) because I shake a bit (unless I'm using a tripod).

Learn your camera. Experiment with it, find out it's strengths and weaknesses (they all have them). Learn the art of photography, it's way more than pointing a camera and clicking a button, but above all, have fun with it. The beauty of digital photography is the results are instantaneous, if you don't like what you took you can delete it and try again. And in my opinion, good glass is a better investment than an expensive body.

Practice, practice, practice............
    GROOVY GUVII

2" Toughdog Lift, Ctek D250S, 152AH AGM Battery, Homemade Battery Box, Duel Rear Cameras, GME TX3510W UHF, Alloy Roof Rack, Kings 2.5m Awning, Titan Drawers.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys
    clubbyr8 he would have just used the settings that were last used, it could have been any where.They were more than likley on some high speed settings as I shoot alot of motor sport and air craft.
    these were all taken in the middle of a paddock where I was helping a mate with a bogged tractor and the young feller just grabbed the camera out of the truck and starts shooting.
    O4OFF the little girl is his 6year old sister and a bit of a posser.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pearcey View Post
    Thanks guys
    clubbyr8 he would have just used the settings that were last used, it could have been any where.They were more than likley on some high speed settings as I shoot alot of motor sport and air craft.
    these were all taken in the middle of a paddock where I was helping a mate with a bogged tractor and the young feller just grabbed the camera out of the truck and starts shooting.
    O4OFF the little girl is his 6year old sister and a bit of a posser.
    Pearcy, I actually wasn't commenting on your grandson's pics (which are excellent for a 10 year old), I was just making a general comment on what I believe is a way to improve anyone's photography skill. Apologies if my post came across that way.....
    GROOVY GUVII

2" Toughdog Lift, Ctek D250S, 152AH AGM Battery, Homemade Battery Box, Duel Rear Cameras, GME TX3510W UHF, Alloy Roof Rack, Kings 2.5m Awning, Titan Drawers.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=clubbyr8;513925]Pearcy, I actually wasn't commenting on your grandson's pics (which are excellent for a 10 year old), I was just making a general comment on what I believe is a way to improve anyone's photography skill. Apologies if my post came across that way.....
    No worries mate.
    I like most others on here are always looking for ways to improve our skills and professional advice is most welcome. My talents with a camera leave a lot to be desired so any help is appreciated.
    I am lucky enough to have 2 grand kids who have interests outside the computer or phone.
    Finding hidden skills can be hard these days and if one shows some skill out side the norm, it may help these kids find a worthy job or be directed towards the use of their talents in the future.
    Again thanks for all advice and keep it coming
    Pearcey

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread digging.

We just bought a Canon 70D with a 18-200mm lens.

It's quite an upgrade from my old Nikon D300. Been playing around with it this arvo, trying to get used to it. Have to say, so far I'm pretty damn happy with it. Been mucking around with the settings, think I need a tripod sooner then I thought.

First question, low light action or moving shots. What sort of settings should I use. Trying to avoid the flash, but not against it.
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmm, Lachlan, without knowing what you are shooting, and just how dark it is, its hard to suggest individual settings, but in general, low light and action are pretty much hard work for a camera, as speed requires light, so flash is normally required when the camera is doing the adjusting (auto modes)

At night time with no flash, for the camera to capture anything, you will need a longer exposure time (risking blurry pics), or a higher ISO (or both) if you wish to retain some speed to capture action, at higher ISO you will start to loose some quality,(but this is better than no pic at all, and if you don't need to crop the shot may still be OK) use a low/wide Aperture/F stop to allow maximum light to the sensor, and try to use minimal zoom, you may still find if its too dark if you have the flash off, as the camera will not be able to focus itself (because it can not see without the pre-flashes) so you may even have to resort to manual focus (very hard for a moving target).

Using the on board Flash with a 18-200mm, (sorry i don't know the camera or lens) but I would suspect the lens would create a shadow in every shot you take ?, so using flash may be less than ideal for any pics, in this case its a external flash, or a different lens (and so your spending starts, welcome to photography, lol)

<a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

lhurley (25th August 2014), MEGOMONSTER (25th August 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    Mmm, Lachlan, without knowing what you are shooting, and just how dark it is, its hard to suggest individual settings, but in general, low light and action are pretty much hard work for a camera, as speed requires light, so flash is normally required when the camera is doing the adjusting (auto modes)

At night time with no flash, for the camera to capture anything, you will need a longer exposure time (risking blurry pics), or a higher ISO (or both) if you wish to retain some speed to capture action, at higher ISO you will start to loose some quality,(but this is better than no pic at all, and if you don't need to crop the shot may still be OK) use a low/wide Aperture/F stop to allow maximum light to the sensor, and try to use minimal zoom, you may still find if its too dark if you have the flash off, as the camera will not be able to focus itself (because it can not see without the pre-flashes) so you may even have to resort to manual focus (very hard for a moving target).

Using the on board Flash with a 18-200mm, (sorry i don't know the camera or lens) but I would suspect the lens would create a shadow in every shot you take ?, so using flash may be less than ideal for any pics, in this case its a external flash, or a different lens (and so your spending starts, welcome to photography, lol)

Thanks steve, i was playing around in manual mode (camera and lens), i try to stay out of auto unless im doing a super quick shot.

You are correct, at no zoom, the lens does cast a shadow, only very slightly if the ground infront of the camera is further away.

Only way im going to learn is by playing, so i think we need a photography trip.
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast