Thread: Getting MORE from your photos !

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

advice please

hey 04OFF thanks for making this thread buddy,also thank you to anyone else giving advice and tips, very appreciated.
    i have a cannon powershot SX50HS http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-sx50-hs.
    had it for about 7 months, been trying to use as many different modes and settings as possible so this thread will be very helpful as to show me and others what and how the features or modes can help with photography.
    heres a few shots i took on saturday night.

(trying to go for a 4wd action cover shot hahaha)

this photo i think is good but could use some tips with it if possible guys thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Hi Steve,

I have a Canon EFS 18-55mm lens, that is currently getting stripped into pieces, when its time for me 2 put it back together could you guide me as 2 what bits go where please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    haha I'm in the same boat as NissanGQ4.2.
    After reading the thread initially I thought I'd go find the dslr and have a play only to find that our 18-55 kit lens only has a bit of zoom play left and right, and there is bit of lens on the inside just loose. So that's fubar. Camera I believe is still ok. Ours is a Nikon D40X.

oh dear, maybe we need a camera mechanics workshop thread as well (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by rd28ti View Post
    (trying to go for a 4wd action cover shot hahaha)

this photo i think is good but could use some tips with it if possible guys thanks

Ok so your first one obviously the front and top of the car is cut off because you standing too close, most likely because the flash won't cover a great distance ?, if so, its a easy experiment to find out at what distance your flash will still be effective, and that's to take your camera and car out to a dark location, try taking pics as you step backward a few metres at a time, take note of the maximum range that still works good, this may allow you to get back from the subject further, but still allow the camera to get a pic.

The other thing is the time/date stamp, always looks bad on any pic IMO.

Love how the driver has tongue out (lol)

The second one is really very good , of course still has the time and date stamp, I would normally like to see a little more room in front of the car, but.....you are showing the track behind, and this greatly adds to the pic, it also looks like a crappy overcast day, these can be difficult to get anything looking "nice", I think from the two pics you have posted, the first tip, is to just stand back just a little more.

Another thing that looks good on overcast days, is if you can put the cars headlights on.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

rd28ti (27th April 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    oh dear, maybe we need a camera mechanics workshop thread as well (lol)
    Yeh think my shutter has stuck closed
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Yeh think my shutter has stuck closed
    So why are you pulling lenses apart then ?

Do you have a error code coming up on your camera ? Were you shooting in high speed mode when problem developed ?
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is great as ever since I got a digital slr my photos have been crap ill be watching and getting involved closely I have a canon 550 with a efs 17-85 and a 70-300 and I cant get a good photo at all on the 17-85 and should be getting a 24-105 l lens in the next few months.
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Nikon D40 and have played around with it a fair bit...these are by far not perfect photos but I submit them to show that a flash is so often not needed for a set shot...I try not to use flash at all at night especially indoors under in-candescent light...the colours come out more true...I also use a power flash pack on the camera if shooting action shots a night...it enables you to be further away and probably would rival my led driving lights ...lol
    I also use a Canon A620 and A70 powershots merely for their size and ease to carry...they aslo can be played with regarding settings with good results

Although I try and consider everything , maybe you can pick any issues 4off and explain how to improve with the settings etc..

below:...no flash..with aperture adjustment , with slow shutter speed...this will enable the camera to take in or digest everything that is there as much as possible without lighting up everything
    Picture 079.jpg
    march 2007 012.jpg
    Below..canon power shot A70
    F.2.8
    Exposure .6 sec
    Focal length 7mm
    max aperture 2.968
    no flash
    IMG_1120.JPG

below for silhouette shots
    Nikon D40
    F.5.6
    Iso 200
    Max aperture 5
    exposure 1/1000 sec
    no flash
    mixed 417.jpg

Kevin 07..that lense is a macro lense..which is the next one I plan to also get for insect photos etc and maintain distance...what did you plan to do with it ??

hope any of this helps
    the one thing wrong with middle age ...is knowing you will grow out of it !

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan close ups and family shots or day to day lense until I come across a 50mm lense as well. but a macro no I cant get anything close hence the 50mm coming
    Last edited by kevin07; 28th April 2014 at 05:47 PM.
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin07 View Post
    I plan close ups and family shots or day to day lense until I come across a 50mm lense as well. but a macro no I cant get anything close hence the 50mm coming
    the 105 will do that for you Kevin...they just allow you to stay at more of a distance to do it instead of being one inch away etc
    the one thing wrong with middle age ...is knowing you will grow out of it !

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the 17 -85 would do it but its crap cant get anything close

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    So why are you pulling lenses apart then ?

Do you have a error code coming up on your camera ? Were you shooting in high speed mode when problem developed ?
    Don't mind me Steve, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

In Auto focus it doesn't focus anymore so won't take a photo
    In manual focus when you look through the view finder it looks darker than what it should be and when you take a photo it also comes out dark unless your taking a picture of something bright.

I know its something 2 do with the lens as my other lens works fine.

I have been getting an error code 99 occasionally since it has failed.

Can't remember if I shooting in high speed when it failed but more than likely was
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast