Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Was talking to a photographer when up at Portland Roads & he asked me how I was storing my camera & lenses. "In a soft carry bag" I said. This brought on a drawing of breath in through his teeth. Next time he visited he brought one of his camera cases, a Pelican case, airtight, waterproof with silica gel to keep things dry & a small battery powered hygrometer to keep a check on humidity levels in the case. He opened the case & the hygrometer said 20% , but reached 50% & still rising within within just a few minutes. Ambient humidity was over 90%. He then explained how one wet season was sufficient to get mould/fungus growing between the coatings of lenses, ruining them, & corrosion inside cameras. Well I don't mind admitting that it was an issue I had never considered, & that he put the wind up me. Seeings we are likely to see a lot more high humidity I thought it prudent to take some preventive action. The Pelican case & Silica gel arrived from ebay this morning. The mini Hygrometer (2 for $8!) should get her next week. Wife agreed to it being an early birthday pressie.

IMG_1418 (1).jpg

Been using the same Pelican 1520 for my gear around 10 years now, 100% the best investment, it has saved my gear time and time again, on a very steep track ive had the whole thing fall out of the back of the car bouncing onto rocks, its had heaps of exposure to beach conditions (also falling out of the car onto sand).

Even just a week ago, a whole heap of beach sand somehow got dumped all over it in the back of the car, i just put the whole case on the ground, and hosed it off, no ingress of water or sand what so ever, my internal foam is looking a bit sad after all these years use, but still does the same job and nothing inside has ever got damaged.

20200721_210807.jpg
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (6th August 2020)