Thread: Getting MORE from your photos !

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Was talking to a photographer when up at Portland Roads & he asked me how I was storing my camera & lenses. "In a soft carry bag" I said. This brought on a drawing of breath in through his teeth. Next time he visited he brought one of his camera cases, a Pelican case, airtight, waterproof with silica gel to keep things dry & a small battery powered hygrometer to keep a check on humidity levels in the case. He opened the case & the hygrometer said 20% , but reached 50% & still rising within within just a few minutes. Ambient humidity was over 90%. He then explained how one wet season was sufficient to get mould/fungus growing between the coatings of lenses, ruining them, & corrosion inside cameras. Well I don't mind admitting that it was an issue I had never considered, & that he put the wind up me. Seeings we are likely to see a lot more high humidity I thought it prudent to take some preventive action. The Pelican case & Silica gel arrived from ebay this morning. The mini Hygrometer (2 for $8!) should get her next week. Wife agreed to it being an early birthday pressie.

Attachment 80656

Been using the same Pelican 1520 for my gear around 10 years now, 100% the best investment, it has saved my gear time and time again, on a very steep track ive had the whole thing fall out of the back of the car bouncing onto rocks, its had heaps of exposure to beach conditions (also falling out of the car onto sand).

Even just a week ago, a whole heap of beach sand somehow got dumped all over it in the back of the car, i just put the whole case on the ground, and hosed it off, no ingress of water or sand what so ever, my internal foam is looking a bit sad after all these years use, but still does the same job and nothing inside has ever got damaged.

20200721_210807.jpg
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (6th August 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    What model and how heavy is the case when fully loaded, Cuppa.

FYI, Just weighed mine, and its 10.1 Kg loaded as per pic ^
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

mudnut (21st July 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am so mad at myself. The camera case snagged on a cupboard as I was bringing it inside and it hit the ground with a mighty bang. Since then the focus is soft at best using any lens.

This is the best I can get, with manual focus, with my poor eyesight. I will have to send the camera away for repair. I have even enhanced the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

Rossco (7th November 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a bugger mudnut, hope it can be sorted without too much pain. I've come close to doing much the same a few times. I can't remember what camera you have, but I can recommend a camera repair place I used in Melbourne. I thought the sensor on my camera was wrecked after someone who should have known better (an ex professional photographer) managed to get a few drops of red wine on the sensor which had dried & gone hard. This happened in Tassie, & best I could find there were places who would send the camera away , taking several weeks. Turned our the place I used in Melbourne was where they would have sent it to.They quoted me a reasonable price, I took it in, swanned around the local shops & cafes for a couple of hours & then picked it up, They did a marvellous job, & charged me less than the quote!

http://camera-clinic.com.au/index.php/en/
    Last edited by Cuppa; 7th November 2020 at 12:10 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

mudnut (7th November 2020), pearcey (7th November 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Cuppa. It will have to wait until we go to see the Outlaws. Did you make an appointment or just rock up?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Cuppa. It will have to wait until we go to see the Outlaws. Did you make an appointment or just rock up?
    I phoned & made an appointment. You should phone them anyway to tell them what camera it is & what he issue is to ensure it's something they can do.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

mudnut (7th November 2020)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mudnut - you can definitely look at repair. Take images, record the settings and include them when you make the appointments. eg. that image above looks super noisey. What are the other settings? Is anything registering as unusual?
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

mudnut (10th November 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. I have pics on a card to show the local repairer (who I just found out about). Hopefully I will see him this week.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Camera is back. It had a clean and adjustment. Took a quick snap through a trellis to get this little fella on the front lawn. It was just on the sports setting as I didn't have time to muck around before the bunny fled. The camera did quite a good job of focusing through all the other objects in its path.
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (18th December 2020), Hodge (15th December 2020), MB (16th December 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Camera is back. It had a clean and adjustment. .
    Just out of interest .... do you know what they had to adjust?

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast