User Tag List

Page 5 of 187 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, looks a treat now mate. great work!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys,

OK here is the next installment, there were lots of things i did in this build up that i took pics of and i will add in sections for your info.

First one is the front bar and Winch

Here is a pic the after i fitted it all back up and this is basically what it looked like before the strip down

First i fitted up the Chrome Grill and was happy there.

Then i had another look at the front bar and just thought that is was getting pretty grubby by comparison to the rest.

I had to strip out the winch to fit the airlines anyway so here is what happened next. I am a sucker for punishment.

Out comes the Winch and set aside for other work. Going to run Plasma rope that has been in the shed for 2 years so this bit is not required

Off it comes

Rubbed back and ready for paint (cheap pressure pack Saturn Black from Bunnings)

Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 6th January 2011 at 11:12 AM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Next got started on the winch. I pulled it to bits on the bench in the shed to give it a good clean out.

I used this link for a great writeup and how to ==> http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/8274/

Then i went about renovating what needed to be done. I Painted the casing using a Charcoal Hammertone paint out of a can

I tapped the casing to run Air lines to pressurise the case for Bog holes etc. You can see also that i used some of that PVC liquid tape on the terminals thinking that i could trim up the mess when dry => NO YOU CANT!!! so after this pic i went and got a very fine brush and neatened it up allot.

I reckon it looks great.

Mounted it back up into the newly painted bar and fitted the air lines

See on the back of the numberplate i have fitted a white LED marker light that is switched with the winch isolation switch in the dash and lights up the winch whenever power is connected to it. F*#king awesome at night for winching.

Attached my home made Nylon Fairlead and Bob's your Aunty.

From this >>>>

To this >>>>>

Mounted up my Lightforce XGTs that i converted to HID and wound on the plasma and ready to go!!

Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 6th January 2011 at 11:33 AM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MR you have certainty got all the good stuff going on, by the time your finished I don't think there well be a bit on your Rig you don't know about. The thing is almost brand new & man what a Rig.

Cheers
    Paul

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info, thanks mate.

that first photo looks like you've got a giant satellite mounted off the back...haha

I'm going a bit blind these days but did you deliberatly mount a roof rack frame over the roof spotties to stop them getting smashed off by tree limbs, etc?

I was reading that other thread here too, did you decide to use the nylon fairlead instead of ally?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've seen air lines mounted on the motor to keep it cool but never in the top gear cover?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patch697 View Post
    MR you have certainty got all the good stuff going on, by the time your finished I don't think there well be a bit on your Rig you don't know about. The thing is almost brand new & man what a Rig.

Cheers
    Paul
    LOL Cheers Paul, Yeah i have to say i dont think i have scratched it yet and i never used to give a crap when driving in the bush, might be a little bit more gentle now. It became a bit of a project and grew and grew and grew. But i am really happy with how it all came out.

Quote Originally Posted by GQ-Nut View Post
    Great info, thanks mate.

that first photo looks like you've got a giant satellite mounted off the back...haha

I'm going a bit blind these days but did you deliberatly mount a roof rack frame over the roof spotties to stop them getting smashed off by tree limbs, etc?

I was reading that other thread here too, did you decide to use the nylon fairlead instead of ally?
    I actually made the roof light rack from scratch rather than use a roof rack conversion. A friend of mine made one like this and i liked it so went about making one. was a big job at the time but came up a treat. I will post some pics of it if your like. The 4 lights hanging from it are all cheapy lights that i have converted to HID and work well for close bush at night.

Quote Originally Posted by GQ4.2 View Post
    i've seen air lines mounted on the motor to keep it cool but never in the top gear cover?
    Hey GQ, yeah i fitted this system up to pressurise the casing to reduce the likelihood of water and mud getting inside through a bog hole. It will also help with keeping the motor cool.. Bonus. I have this isolated with an air solenoid switched at my centre console and i will post my Air system soon.

Thanks for looking guys and appreciate the comments

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually made the roof light rack from scratch rather than use a roof rack conversion. A friend of mine made one like this and i liked it so went about making one. was a big job at the time but came up a treat. I will post some pics of it if your like. The 4 lights hanging from it are all cheapy lights that i have converted to HID and work well for close bush at night.
    That would great mate if you get a spare 5.

I want roof spotties but always worried about knocking them off so if you get a chance that would be greatly appreciated.

Give me some ideas indeed!

Cheers mate.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    These are my roof lights that i made form scratch.

I used 25mm tube that i bent to the right shape using a tube bender then mig welded a 70mm flat plate across the length of it on the top and some and a couple of pieces bent up for the gutter mounts. You can buy the other half of the gutter mounts form Super cheap.

I haven't got any real close ups but you should get the idea.

I like that they offer real protection to the lights without sticking really high above the roof. I bought the lights before i started making the rack to get the height above the roof right. I like the profile i was able to get.

All the lights were bought off Ebay for $35 or less each. I then bought HID kits for each of ebay out of Hong Kong and you can see the ballasts hanging from the underside between each of the lights

Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 13th July 2010 at 12:05 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interestingly, that last pic is taken exactly at the dent in the roof! that section of the roof was caved in a good 3 inches and took a fair bit to get to this stage.

Page 5 of 187 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast