Thread: MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah I see the roof dent would have been fun... How far along is it now?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patch697 View Post
    yeah I see the roof dent would have been fun... How far along is it now?
    Yeah mate it was a real biatch to get out. i had a mate come over who used to own a panel shop to have a look and he steered me in the right direction. I ended up stripping the roof lining out on that side and jacking across from the floor sill on the opposite side of the car. Got most of it out and bogged the rest. A keen eye would still see it but to 99.9% of the population it would never be noticed. Needs the light to fall a certain way to stand out.

How far Along?? Shes rolling mate!! Christened her about a month ago after a 2 year build up. I might post a couple of finish shot shortly. Just trying to lay down the history on the build a bit. It has been a very long and torturing road.

Good on Ya Patch

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story mate.

i'll be honest, I dont think I could've done that. I'm an impatient bugger and that would have killed me to undertake that.

Especially a project like that in the carport. The misses would kill me!

Top effort, very impressive!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Colour up and the nightmare continued. Had a heap of trouble with the paint after the paint shop recommended the wrong gun settings and cost me a couple of months and a few coats of paint. Damn i hate paint!!

Painted the floor inside with about 6 very thick coats of body deadener paint (6litres) and also painted the inside of the doors. I used a Denso wrap onto the fire wall for insulation and i t is very quiet inside when rolling now.

The Young fella gave me a hand big time, would have been lost without him.....or was that lots of stuff lost?? Nah he was soo happy to be helping Dad.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (27th April 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While the carpet was up i ran a full system of Air lines from the back to the front and then a point to each side. I used pneumatic push fitting and fortunately found a sponsor for a heap of this stuff. Bonus as it was really expensive. I would not have got as much done with it if i had had to front with the cash as just the elbows where like $8 each. I reckon there is +50 fittings among other items throughout this build.

I would like to take this Opportunity to thank the sponsor.... You know who you are. Cheers mate.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well don't leave any bits out mate this is one of... if not the best rebuild report I've ever seen you've got me totally sucked in.

Cheers
    Paul

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Great story mate.

i'll be honest, I dont think I could've done that. I'm an impatient bugger and that would have killed me to undertake that.

Especially a project like that in the carport. The misses would kill me!

Top effort, very impressive!!!
    Good on ya Mark.. Fortunately it was not under a carport. Unfortunately I was convinced to strip it down by a family member who was going to do most of the work...... He Helped me strip it to nothing in 4 days over beer and Pizza. In the garage of the Rental he was in, AN HOUR from my home!! Who's Idea was that????

I think he then realised what he had done, didn't know how to fix it and left me too it!!!! I never had an intention to do this mate, He reckoned it would be off the road for about 2 weeks and i would get it back all shiny and new!!!!

2 Years later and all my annual leave and a Shyt load of money, a bit of hair off the scone and a few more wrinkles and i am rolling finally. My 70 year old Dad even came down for a week to help me rub it back and prepare for paint. The young fella basically left me too it mate.

If i had the cash i truly would have parted it out. It was already stripped down.

But she is rolling finally.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate next time im going to Melbourne we will have to meet & have a coffee or something cos thats impressed the hell out of me. Top marks your a true die hard.

Cheers
    Paul
    Last edited by patch697; 29th June 2010 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Good on ya Mark.. Fortunately it was not under a carport. Unfortunately I was convinced to strip it down by a family member who was going to do most of the work...... He Helped me strip it to nothing in 4 days over beer and Pizza. In the garage of the Rental he was in, AN HOUR from my home!! Who's Idea was that????

I think he then realised what he had done, didn't know how to fix it and left me too it!!!! I never had an intention to do this mate, He reckoned it would be off the road for about 2 weeks and i would get it back all shiny and new!!!!

2 Years later and all my annual leave and a Shyt load of money, a bit of hair off the scone and a few more wrinkles and i am rolling finally. My 70 year old Dad even came down for a week to help me rub it back and prepare for paint. The young fella basically left me too it mate.

If i had the cash i truly would have parted it out. It was already stripped down.

But she is rolling finally.
    Good on ya for persisting with it. A lot of people would have given up a long long time ago.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was taking to Dave and Paul about that particular track in the photo's at sokil, dave said he has no intentions of doing that track again any time soon..., and I thought that track I do near Beech Forrest was hard, I was wrong!

Page 2 of 186 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast