Thread: Michael's V8Y62

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michael's V8Y62

Moving away from the Introduction section of the forum here is my thread about my new, to me, car. Pearl, her new name because her paint is Ivory Pearl, is a 2019 Y62 Series 4 Ti with 61k on the clock. I drove her home yesterday and fell in love. Everything is so gentle and effortless. Pearl is quite, comfortable, HUGE (I literally looked down into 200 series Landcruisers and Pearl is standard height), and luxurious.

I am not going to go crazy with external modifications, she has a bull bar (which I do need living in a rural area where Kangaroos and Wallabies are everywhere and are part of the reason for the demise of my old car) which I will probably fit a winch to eventually but for a few years that will be most likely the limit of visible exterior modifications.

I will do small bits and pieces to the interior like sheep skin seat covers, I have dogs and I don't want the leather on the seats damaged. I must be in the minority because the fake wood grain doesn't bother me so I won't be covering it up. I will be getting a dash pad cover to make sure the sun doesn't cause problems with the dash top. I will also probably fit some KO Gear modifications that help to make the vehicle slightly more usable.

There are 2 things I will be concentrating on. In no particular order I'll be tuning the engine with HP Tuners and/or WinOLS as time permits just based on dataloging. The other things I would like to do some research on is the steering, while every make and model is slightly different and it takes a little time to get used to a different car the steering in the Y62 feels to light so I'll be looking at tyre pressures first and then researching other things.

I'll post some pictures later.
    Cheers.
    Michael (V8Y62)

EDIT: Posted some pictures today (7/7/23) in post #38
    Last edited by V8Y62; 7th July 2023 at 07:06 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to V8Y62 For This Useful Post:

MB (12th June 2023), mudnut (12th June 2023), Plasnart (11th June 2023), rusty_nail (11th June 2023), Touses (11th June 2023), Trolatron (11th June 2023)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took the family for a drive in Pearl today. Over 3 hours driving around taking my time to get used to driving her. Now I have heard about the inaccuracy of the speedo and to be honest I didn't believe it would be as bad as people have said but it was. Let's just say I'll never get book for speeding with the speedo being out by 6 kmh when it reads 50 and at least 9 when it reads 100. At 109 kmh on the speedo you finally get to 100 kmh actual road speed. The speedo inaccuracy adds 10 minutes to a trip that normally takes me 45 minutes. To combat this I'm considering getting a GPS HUD because I can't see the speed readout on my dash cam in Pearl.

On a personal note it has been a long time since I have driven a car for more than an hour, or even up to an hour, and not ended the drive with excruciating back and leg pain being barely able to walk after driving. The only other car that I can drive for extended periods is an old VC Commodore, even the VS Commodore Pearl replaced gave me problems and don't get me started on the lack of comfort in the Getz and Troopcarrier.

In my excitement I forgot to take photos, I will get some soon.
    Last edited by V8Y62; 12th June 2023 at 05:56 PM.
    Michael.
    Vehicle: Pearl: 2019 Y62 Ti.
    Modifications: none yet.
    Michael Built FB page
    Hacking the VK56VD ROM thread and GitHub page.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V8Y62 For This Useful Post:

MB (12th June 2023), mudnut (12th June 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Y62 View Post
    Took the family for a drive in Pearl today. Over 3 hours driving around taking my time to get used to driving her. Now I have heard about the inaccuracy of the speedo and to be honest I didn't believe it would be as bad as people have said but it was. Let's just say I'll never get book for speeding with the speedo being out by 6 kmh when it reads 50 and at least 9 when it reads 100. At 109 kmh on the speedo you finally get to 100 kmh actual road speed. The speedo inaccuracy adds 10 minutes to a trip that normally takes me 45 minutes. To combat this I'm considering getting a GPS HUD because I can't see the speed readout on my dash cam in Pearl.

On a personal note it has been a long time since I have driven a car for more than an hour, or even up to an hour, and not ended the drive with excruciating back and leg pain being barely able to walk after driving. The only other car that I can drive for extended periods is an old VC Commodore, even the VS Commodore Pearl replaced gave me problems and don't get me started on the lack of comfort in the Getz and Troopcarrier.

In my excitement I forgot to take photos, I will get some soon.
    Fwiw I'm pretty sure the Australian car standards state vehicles must read a minimum of 6% over the speed they are travelling? I guess Nissan just took the y62 a few percent further?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,962 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    Fwiw I'm pretty sure the Australian car standards state vehicles must read a minimum of 6% over the speed they are travelling? I guess Nissan just took the y62 a few percent further?

Can you post up what standard that might be Nicco?

Personally I find the excessive speedo inaccuracy in this country bloody frustrating. We all know our speedos read way under, then it’s up to us to determine what is actually 100kmh. Get it wrong and bingo you’re paying fines.

FFS just give us accurate speedos from factory then if we modify the vehicle the fault is ours. Can’t be that hard.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (12th June 2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post

Personally I find the excessive speedo inaccuracy in this country bloody frustrating. We all know our speedos read way under, then it’s up to us to determine what is actually 100kmh. Get it wrong and bingo you’re paying fines.

FFS just give us accurate speedos from factory then if we modify the vehicle the fault is ours. Can’t be that hard.
    Adr 18 I believe?

Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post

I read it in an RACV mag article recently

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    No it doesn't it states the allowable difference between speedo and road speed + a fudge figure. The formula for ADR 18 (as of 2006) for our vehicles is 0 ≤ (V1 – V2) ≤ 0.1 V2 + 4 km/h. V1 is speedo speed, V2 is actual speed. So 0 ≤ (100 – 91) ≤ 0.1 91 + 4 km/h can be up to 13 kmh (0.1 91 + 4 = 13.1) which is ridiculous (infact teh entire formula is ridiculous as it encourages inaccuracy +4 kmh more which adds even more inaccuracy). We are given 5% leeway on speeding tickets (go higher than 42kmh in a school zone in NSW and you are in trouble) yet we can be going as low as 86.9 kmh when our speedo reads 100 kmh.

In all honesty I've never owned a vehicle that is more than 5 kmh out and that's why it was so noticable to me and why I'm researching GPS HUDs.
    Last edited by V8Y62; 12th June 2023 at 07:35 PM.
    Michael.
    Vehicle: Pearl: 2019 Y62 Ti.
    Modifications: none yet.
    Michael Built FB page
    Hacking the VK56VD ROM thread and GitHub page.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to V8Y62 For This Useful Post:

MB (12th June 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually sync my GQ speedo in behind an interstate B Double from a Nationwide company, their puters don’t lie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Y62 View Post
    No it doesn't it states the allowable difference between speedo and road speed + a fudge figure. The formula for ADR 18 (as of 2006) for our vehicles is 0 ≤ (V1 – V2) ≤ 0.1 V2 + 4 km/h. V1 is speedo speed, V2 is actual speed. So 0 ≤ (100 – 91) ≤ 0.1 91 + 4 km/h can be up to 13 kmh (0.1 91 + 4 = 13.1) which is ridiculous (infact teh entire formula is ridiculous as it encourages inaccuracy +4 kmh more which adds even more inaccuracy). We are given 5% leeway on speeding tickets (go higher than 42kmh in a school zone in NSW and you are in trouble) yet we can be going as low as 86.9 kmh when our speedo reads 100 kmh.

In all honesty I've never owned a vehicle that is more than 5 kmh out and that's why it was so noticable to me and why I'm researching GPS HUDs.
    Yeah mate I get it, I'm actually driving a new SsangYong ATM and the speedo reads similar to yours so I feel your pain. I just run off the android auto Speedo and it's all gravy

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

V8Y62 (15th June 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many kilometres per miles until you Blokes run out of fuel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast