Thread: MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Highly Recommend Superior Sway Bars & Linky’s recently installed on your Best Advice You Two Following Suit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hahaha. They are overrated... not a bad call though.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (5th July 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Highly Recommend Superior Sway Bars & Linky’s recently installed on your Best Advice You Two Following Suit

#JustWaitingForAMate

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (5th July 2022), Rossco (6th July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,243 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still searching for the Culprit whom spoke/faced of the Family unspoken promises…when in Rome/Vegas

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Rossco (6th July 2022), Winnie (6th July 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So after the failure of my High Country trip the GQ is in the dog house. I'm showing it a little love though and sorting out the cooling system. I really should have dealt with it after Tassie but didn't. Although I only got as far as the freeway the other week I noted it was already running a little warm.

So the Radiator has been pulled out and hosed out with purpose today to remove more mud than I could see. I will give it a coat of paint before putting it back in.

Embarrassing I know.... I really should have pulled that out when I got back from Tassie. SLACK.

Interesting though, when I put it back in the shed and walked away when I got home I notices coolant on the floor of the shed in a couple of spots? I also noted there seemed to be some seeping leakage around the front top of the motor and decided I needed to inspect the thermostat and the Water Pump.

When I was in Tassie a couple of years ago in the GUIV I had a Waterpump failure in Zeehan, I fitted a brand new waterpump then to finish that trip but then pulled it out to fit a JPC hi output one when I got back. I had a brand new waterpump sitting there so not a bad call.

I removed the waterpump and noted there was some shift play which made pulling it off a good call.

So i had to harvest the studs from the old one for thr new one.

The viscous coupling seemed a little tight so I pulled it apart to inspect and it looked OK. When I got back from Tassie in the GUIV I also installed a Quikazz Fan and Hub with the waterpump. The old one off the GU has the upgraded infinity Fan and I will fit the GU Hub and Fan to the GQ.

The Thermostat I pulled out was a 77 degree and on the advice of MB in his thread I will chase up an 88c one to fit in.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

10G (1st August 2022), AB (1st August 2022), Cremulator (1st August 2022), Rossco (1st August 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So for anyone interested too, here is a pic of the dual Alternators set up for 12v and 24v.

12v on the passenger side (factory fitted)

24v off the Power Steering belt. Tidy.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

10G (1st August 2022), MB (1st August 2022), mudski (3rd August 2022), PeeBee (1st August 2022), Rossco (1st August 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And I have to say, this mod is a bloody winner. I installed thisnLED strip lighting a few years ago and just put clamps on yhe ends. They just tuck down beside the battery when not in use, no need for a switch or relay.

Whether out bush at night or in the shed you xant have too much light.

Clamps on.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

AB (1st August 2022), Cremulator (1st August 2022), MB (1st August 2022), mudnut (31st July 2022), PeeBee (1st August 2022), Rossco (1st August 2022)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    So for anyone interested too, here is a pic of the dual Alternators set up for 12v and 24v.

12v on the passenger side (factory fitted)

24v off the Power Steering belt. Tidy.

Hey Daz, how have you done this? Have you just hooked the 2nd alternator's 0v / earth, up to 12v to give you a 24v out of that 2nd alternator? ie; 2 alt's in series???

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Hey Daz, how have you done this? Have you just hooked the 2nd alternator's 0v / earth, up to 12v to give you a 24v out of that 2nd alternator? ie; 2 alt's in series???
    Nah independent of each other. Common Negative only. I have 2 Optima on the floor behind the passenger seat as my 24v bank. I have a 600amp kill switch between the gear stick and the console for easy isolation. 24v needed an excite light to function. I use the 24v for the winch but also run my Engel on 24v cause I can. The car only has 1 12v battery, no second 12v battery. 12v is used for lights and compressors only.

I have welded an m12 bolt head to the left side chassis and use it as a Neg Post. 70mmsq cables to and from the 24v and winch.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (1st August 2022)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Nah independent of each other. Common Negative only. I have 2 Optima on the floor behind the passenger seat as my 24v bank. I have a 600amp kill switch between the gear stick and the console for easy isolation. 24v needed an excite light to function. I use the 24v for the winch but also run my Engel on 24v cause I can. The car only has 1 12v battery, no second 12v battery. 12v is used for lights and compressors only.

I have welded an m12 bolt head to the left side chassis and use it as a Neg Post. 70mmsq cables to and from the 24v and winch.
    Ah yep, I see. Well done.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (1st August 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Here is a pic of the Neg Post welded to the chassis.

And 2 Optima Reds behind front passenger seat and seat mount converted to a shelf that mounts my Engel. Engel run off 24v too. Works great

And the 600amp constant iso switch for safety

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (6th August 2022), Rossco (6th August 2022)

Page 184 of 186 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186 LastLast