Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1998 2.8L GU ... The dreaded overheating

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum (thanks to the folks welcoming me already!). I'm after some advice on my Patrol (please and/or thank you)......

I have a '98 2.8L TD GU, which I got 2 and a bit months ago. Ever since I've had it, I've had issues with the cooling system. If I drive on the highway at 100km/h for around an hour, the temp gauge on my car goes up and heads for the H (it normally sits on half) and overheats (It goes quicker at 110km/h). After it overheats I've found the radiator system to be completely empty of coolant (it looked like it bubbled out of the overflow tank from the pink stains around it)

Over the Easter weekend, the radiator was taken out, emptied, all inlets and outlets were hosed out, the fins cleaned, all hoses were hosed both ways, the block was hosed out, and the thermostat was replaced. The Header tank and overflow bottle were also cleaned out. The coolant was replaced and it was bled (as much as this strange system is able to be bled). I took it for a half-hour highway drive today to test it out, and found the same thing to be occurring. It also smelled like the coolant was burning (it's new coolant), and it's still loosing coolant. As before, it appears to be bubbling out of the overflow bottle (all hoses and connections appear to be fine). The only difference this time is that the temp gauge didn't move past half (but it was definitely hot)? Both the top and bottom hoses were hot (so I know that the thermostat works).

I'm quite stumped ... Has anyone else ever had this or a similar issue? Ideas on solutions?

Cheers

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only other thing I can think of is ....water pump is shot or maybe thermo fans not working properly..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a head gasket to me.....
    I plan to live forever................going well so far

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pokey For This Useful Post:

Bush Ranger (2nd May 2014)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coolant got air or bubbles in it?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typical RD28, either cracked head or blown head gasket

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rickie3 For This Useful Post:

Bush Ranger (2nd May 2014)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickie3 View Post
    Typical RD28, either cracked head or blown head gasket
    Are the 2.8's prone to the above?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tallman View Post
    Are the 2.8's prone to the above?
    Most definately, mine did both, and a few friends same issue

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've had my mechanic go over my car and it appears that all of the obvious things it could be are in working order (there don't appear to be any air gaps either).

However, my Patrol doesn't have a radiator shroud. It never had one when I got it (This may be part or all of the problem). Off on the hunt for a shroud! (If anyone knows where I can get one please let me know)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcooky90210 View Post
    Hi guys, I'm new to this forum (thanks to the folks welcoming me already!). I'm after some advice on my Patrol (please and/or thank you)...... I have a '98 2.8L TD GU, which I got 2 and a bit months ago. Ever since I've had it, I've had issues with the cooling system. If I drive on the highway at 100km/h for around an hour, the temp gauge on my car goes up and heads for the H (it normally sits on half) and overheats (It goes quicker at 110km/h). After it overheats I've found the radiator system to be completely empty of coolant (it looked like it bubbled out of the overflow tank from the pink stains around it) Over the Easter weekend, the radiator was taken out, emptied, all inlets and outlets were hosed out, the fins cleaned, all hoses were hosed both ways, the block was hosed out, and the thermostat was replaced. The Header tank and overflow bottle were also cleaned out. The coolant was replaced and it was bled (as much as this strange system is able to be bled). I took it for a half-hour highway drive today to test it out, and found the same thing to be occurring. It also smelled like the coolant was burning (it's new coolant), and it's still loosing coolant. As before, it appears to be bubbling out of the overflow bottle (all hoses and connections appear to be fine). The only difference this time is that the temp gauge didn't move past half (but it was definitely hot)? Both the top and bottom hoses were hot (so I know that the thermostat works). I'm quite stumped ... Has anyone else ever had this or a similar issue? Ideas on solutions? Cheers
    I have the 99 2.8gu and have also had the the same prob mate I had to rebuild the motor a month after buying it. Towards the end of last year I started having the same issues, it would go a hole week then over heat and loose all the coolant, had it to the mechanics and nothing came up. Sometimes it would go a fortnight then just over heat. Since I have replaced the water pump I have not had any issues so that could be your issue.

Sent from me using Forum Runner

Live life, Love life.
    Snatch straps on towballs can harm and/or kill!!!!!!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not sure if this is different but, about 6 months ago, we drove from melbourne to perth in our 98 4.5lt petrol/gas and got to the adelaide hills and the temp started rising! Just babied it through past adelaide near gawler, had a local mechanic replace the clutch fan, worked for abit longer then had the same issues. Went all the way to port agusta to the ARB mechanic and just to play it safe, got all new radiator, water pump, thermostat ect. Pretty much a brand new cooling system and have never had the problem since. But about a year before hand, especially on hit days, the air con would blow hit air randomly. But yea, could be one of those mentioned above, good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast