Thread: Auto shifting into 4x4 tips

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by menace 2 View Post
    Hmmmmmm...a bit hard to read...anyway , it just says what everyone else says
    Try a left Click on the pic, it will get bigger and so much easier to read
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On this subject..... on my 06 ST auto, when engaging 4wd obviously the hubs engage so when I put the transfer lever back to 2wd do the hubs disengage immediately? ?
    Reason I ask is I also have a v6 triton, once I engage hubs the vehicle needs to be turned off to disengage. But once engaged I can go from 2wd to 4wd at any speed.
    I plan to live forever................going well so far

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokey View Post
    On this subject..... on my 06 ST auto, when engaging 4wd obviously the hubs engage so when I put the transfer lever back to 2wd do the hubs disengage immediately? ?
    Nissan suggest it is normal you should have to reverse for about 1M to disengage the auto hubs after driving in 4x4, however, if your car is standard, and your auto hubs are working correctly, I doubt you will actually ever need to reverse, the hubs should disengage very soon after selecting 2wd (less than 20M), it helps if the ground is flat, the car is rolling, steering is in the straight ahead position, and you lift off the throttle.

The disappearance of the Green 4x4 symbol in the left hand side of your gauge cluster, will confirm the hubs are now free.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey View Post
    Reason I ask is I also have a v6 triton, once I engage hubs the vehicle needs to be turned off to disengage. But once engaged I can go from 2wd to 4wd at any speed.

What year model Triton do you have ? sounds quite odd, but if that's the case, I could only imagine its because most people with 4x4s never go off road, so why run the front part of the drivetrain all the time, then if you "do" use the 4x4 mode, the car keeps the hubs locked all the time, this gives you the convenience to select between 2 & 4 at any speed, id have thought the hubs would have to be electronically controlled in this case ?
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

Pokey (21st April 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Triton is a late 04 GLS V6. Last of the v6's. Auto everything including gearbox. Need to be in park or nutruel to engage 4wd which also engages the hubs. Can then select 4wd or 2wd on the fly. Very handy on tracks and beaches. But to disengage the hubs it needs to be turned off for a couple of seconds. Annoying when you get back to the black stuff. Apart from that it's a very very impressive 4wd :-)
    I plan to live forever................going well so far

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12