Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disk Brakes?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disk Brakes?

Im looking in to replacing My front disks.. I have DBA slotted's atm and after about 40,000 km they now have a disk pulse so Id say the are slightly warped... I'm looking at these DBAs Or might look at these Brembos... What are peoples thought? Any other good brands out there worth trying?

Also On the Brembo ones they say Y61 3.0L Now I was always under the assumption that all Y61s Had the same size Disks excepted for the Petrol models? I have a STL 4.2

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brembo-SL...dade735&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DBA625S-D...e7758ec&_uhb=1

Cheers and happy Easter to all
    GU ST-L 4.2 turbo diesel Because reliability counts!!!!!
    Front Elocker and a Heep more cool stuff :-)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,435 Times in 3,006 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fitted RDA ‘grooved & dimpled’ rotors with EBC Greenstuff pads to the front of my DX & it has transformed the braking on my close to 4 tonne vehicle. Time will tell how long rotors & pads will last, but performance wise I’m very happy with them. I paid $405 all up.

That said, that Brembo combo of rotors & pads look to be very good value, & my previous experience of Brembo brakes on motorcycles would probably have seen me choose those for the Patrol if I had seen them when I was looking.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cuppa... I must say the Brembos are grabbing My attention LOL.. They are meant to be the best after all...

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,613 Times in 723 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewy
    All disc`s will warp at some early stage of use. this is dew to the normalization of the metal. IE continual heating and cooling of the disc.Some times it`s bad enough to feel through the pedal or the steering and some times through both.
    I would just get the old disc`s machined and fit a good set of pads

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pearcey For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (18th April 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,539 Times in 6,613 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pearcey View Post
    Lewy
    All disc`s will warp at some early stage of use. this is dew to the normalization of the metal. IE continual heating and cooling of the disc.Some times it`s bad enough to feel through the pedal or the steering and some times through both.
    I would just get the old disc`s machined and fit a good set of pads
    Good post Piercey,

Mate do you know what the story is with machining slotted rotors though? I have No Idea???

That Brembo kits looks Choice!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that brembo kit is looking good :-) So even though it says for the 3.0 turbo it still be the same for mine? I'm guessing yes but thought Id make sure...

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,613 Times in 723 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G`day Guys
    Slotted disc`s can be machined but if you can get them grounded it would be better.Grinding takes away any chance of getting a "rolled" edge on the slots.There are a few specialized brake shops around with the equipment to grind the disc`s.
    With the Brembo brakes, if they are made for the Euro market the disc`s will have a high wear rate and you would more than likely have to replace the disc`s at every pad change. IE check out the Euro cars the black dust on the wheels is 90% disc dust not pad material Price wise it looks pretty good.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pearcey For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (18th April 2014)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As pearcey said, the rotors likely just need a freshen up. not replacing.

but in contrary to what pearcey said, I do not agree that the rotors will be warped, I have read a few articles on this from people with the right gear and the right knowledge, and basically, they have never seen a warped rotor.
    What happens when braking is its not a purely frictional arrangement, but a chemical transition of pad material to disc and disc material to pad, if you get them too hot and hold the brake on with the rotor stationary, say that scary stop on the motorway or when some bastard stops for an orange you were gunning it to make and you have to jump on the brakes, when you stop, the material transfer keeps happening and lays down extra pad material on the disc, creating a thick spot, which creates the 'warped rotor' feeling or pedal pulsing.

I may be completely wrong, but in my experience and from what I have read, this is usually what happens, amongst other factors of course...
    97 patrol coilcab ute. 4" lift, snorkel, 315/75R16 cooper S/T's. and about 200rwhp and some expensive bits and pieces

Organising a group buy for 63% transfer reduction gears, check the link here

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Some awesome Info there guys thanks heaps!! So does anyone know what a freshen up/Machining is roughly worth?

Cheers Again
    Lewy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
    Wow Some awesome Info there guys thanks heaps!! So does anyone know what a freshen up/Machining is roughly worth?

Cheers Again
    Lewy
    It's around the $100 mark. Can even get a bloke to come out to your house/work and do it.

Give Slacks Creek Brake and Clutch a call, I get all my brake stuff from them. Usually the best price too
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast