Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Powder Coating Alluminium

G'day all

Quick one - has anyone powder coated either their alloy rims and/or bullbar??? Looking into doing it, but not sure after researching the net about chipping etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott, powder coating does go through heating process, so make sure it's strong alloy piping. Ally fencing is powder coated with no probs. Powder coated gear should withstand chipping as that's why it's used, giving a stronger finish than paint.
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finly Owner View Post
    Scott, powder coating does go through heating process, so make sure it's strong alloy piping. Ally fencing is powder coated with no probs. Powder coated gear should withstand chipping as that's why it's used, giving a stronger finish than paint.
    Thanks mate - the heat shouldn't be an issue (so the sales people tell me!!) but I'm more concerned about chipping on the rims (of course) than the bar - the bar will get stones hitting it every now and then, but it "should" withstand that ... the rims on the other hand get dragged along rocky ledges and bogholes and I'm just a bit on the fence as to whether they'd withstand it. A normal car, sure ... but a fourbie??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was advised to do my rims in 2pak instead of powder coating.
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finly Owner View Post
    I was advised to do my rims in 2pak instead of powder coating.
    Yeah, I've heard that also, but I do like the powder coat finish ... decisions, decisions ...

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i was always under the impression that powder coating was pretty damn tuff stuff and pretty damn chip resistant......

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK... Powder coating is a hard & very durable product. Its a lot more durable than paint & although more costly Truck & 4x4 accessories manufactures have been using it on alloy & steel bull bars, roll bars, roof racks, rear bars.....exc for many years with no problems. It will scratch, chip & flake after many, many years of abuse from the sun & sky but at a much slower rate than a painted product ever would so all in all a blood good product IMO.

That being said I would choose NOT to use it on Alloy Wheels (although there will be some who may disagree here) as I think its too hard & because of this will chip easier & the product is not fun to get off when it does.

I would recommend using a 2pac baste system with a flex aid added to the paint (which is done at the gun stage) & this will give you a hi gloss but almost rubbery finish that will resist stone chipping & scratching (I did say resist here) much more so than powder coat will.

Only my opinion here but this 2pac method is tried & proven for me & if you do need to touch up a rim from a scrape it can be done without stripping the hole wheel back.

If a rim does need to be stripped back its ten times easier & cheaper to strip 2pac than powder coat I can assure you.

Hope I've helped mate.
    Last edited by patch697; 8th February 2011 at 12:32 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patch697 For This Useful Post:

Clunk (8th February 2011), Finly Owner (8th February 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patch697 View Post
    OK... Powder coating is a hard & very durable product. Its a lot more durable than paint & although more costly Truck & 4x4 accessories manufactures have been using it on alloy & steel bull bars, roll bars, roof racks, rear bars.....exc for many years with no problems. It will scratch, chip & flake after many, many years of abuse from the sun & sky but at a much slower rate than a painted product ever would so all in all a blood good product IMO.

That being said I would choose NOT to use it on Alloy Wheels (although there will be some who may disagree here) as I think its too hard & because of this will chip easier & the product is not fun to get off when it does.

I would recommend using a 2pac baste system with a flex aid added to the paint (which is done at the gun stage) & this will give you a hi gloss but almost rubbery finish that will resist stone chipping & scratching (I did say resist here) much more so than powder coat will.

Only my opinion here but this 2pac method is tried & proven for me & if you do need to touch up a rim from a scrape it can be done without stripping the hole wheel back.

If a rim does need to be stripped back its ten times easier & cheaper to strip 2pac than powder coat I can assure you.

Hope I've helped mate.
    Helped me immensely, cheers bud

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patch697 View Post

Hope I've helped mate.
    Bootiful mate - thanks a million!!! So powder coat the bar, but 2pac on the rims with a flex aid added?? I just want them all black, so not overly concerned if they don't have the same finish up close - so long as the colours match.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    Bootiful mate - thanks a million!!! So powder coat the bar, but 2pac on the rims with a flex aid added?? I just want them all black, so not overly concerned if they don't have the same finish up close - so long as the colours match.
    The 2pac finish is the same you would expect from your due-co on your car its really that good & flexible enough for you to be able to sink your finger nail in & not mark it.

Its bloody good stuff Scotty.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast