OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: mudnut's 'Old Trol' build thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Which part are you having trouble with Craig???

Have you tried Trident at the Mount (I know nothing about them)? Heywood Auto (I do know about them), i've been told, have fitted several ARB lockers, I know they're different, but it can be done locally. They send the centres to Portland to get done to them what ever it is that gets done and they install it.

I THINK there is a Harrop mob in Ballarat??
    It is just the locker mech I am needing to get done, but I have done a front axle seal before and would prefer someone else to do the heavy stuff and I can assist.

As for the locals, all mechanics I asked have not recommended anyone to fit a locker.

i
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll PM you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

mudnut (5th December 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Still on the lookout for help.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    It is just the locker mech I am needing to get done, but I have done a front axle seal before and would prefer someone else to do the heavy stuff and I can assist.

As for the locals, all mechanics I asked have not recommended anyone to fit a locker.

i
    When I got mine fitted I was advised against using the local mob who supply & fit them in Ballarat (TJM?) - fairly or not I don't know - there was talk of apprentices doing a job which needs to be shimmed accurately & a noisy diff resulting.
    I took mine to Harrop in Melbourne. Dropped it off in the morning, they gave me a lift to the train station, I swanned around Melbourne for the day, & they came & collected me from the train station. Service was excellent plus they threw in a few freebies. Cost was the same as I would have had to pay in Ballarat, & I was very happy to know that the job was being done by the folk best to do it. They even phoned me a few days later to check I was happy with the job. That was what? 6 or 7 years ago? Have never had a single problem with the locker, just works when I need it. I recall there was a chap in Ballarat ( Cameron - was on this forum) had one fitted to his car - loved his e-locker but the diff always whined. He had a local workshop install it (not the mob supply them). I think he had a Pajero.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MB (6th December 2022), mudnut (6th December 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In the midst of dismantling the grill to replace the headlight. All the screws were rusted into place, so I had to pull the grill away from the body, to access the four bolts which hold the whole light assembly in. One bastard broke, so now that has to dealt with. Looking at the vehicle before attempting to replace the sealed beam, I didn't see how rusted the fasteners and mountings were. I will pull both sides out, clean, repaint them and fit stainless steel fasteners. I am so glad I didn't have to try and change a headlight on the side of the road or at a campsite.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (12th May 2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Got 16 " Rims and KO2s on order. The Rugged Terrains are at 66000 ks, and are showing signs of age. Still got plenty of tread, though. Unfortunately the don't make them any more, or I would have got them again. Bloody good tyres, especially on sand.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (2nd July 2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fitted the rims and KO2s. Gotta say, they are a lot quieter at 100kph than the old tyres. I had the Rugged terrains fitted in 2011. They aren't made any more but I got 69000ks out of them, and if I had of driven more in that time, I probably would have got up 80000 plus. Having a good look at them, the rubber was starting to go hard and there are fine cracks in the valleys between the treads. Also got a good deal with a $150 factory rebate. Every little bit helps.
    Last edited by mudnut; 6th September 2023 at 04:27 PM.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah my KM2's are probably 7 years old now still with 60% tread on them. I think the rubber has gone off on these and she's quite sketchy now in the wet. I was thinking about the KO's next as I don't think I need a mud terrain tyre. But then I am thinking maybe go for something with a soft compound, as they might stay usable for longer due to the lack of k's my Patrol does. The last two years its done a whisker over 12 thousand.3

What size tyres did you go for Craig?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Yeah my KM2's are probably 7 years old now still with 60% tread on them. I think the rubber has gone off on these and she's quite sketchy now in the wet. I was thinking about the KO's next as I don't think I need a mud terrain tyre. But then I am thinking maybe go for something with a soft compound, as they might stay usable for longer due to the lack of k's my Patrol does. The last two years its done a whisker over 12 thousand.3

What size tyres did you go for Craig?
    Because it is basically a tow tug, now, I opted for 265 (31) x 10 and upgraded to 16'' Trak 2 steel. Apparently its easier to get 16" tyres in the country than the old 15". I had a mixture of rims too, so its good to have a full set.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

mudski (11th September 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 473 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is maybe a global thing. It is easier and cheaper to find 16s and 17s around here than a good 15.

I credit that to the fact that no 4x4 truck is sold here with 15" wheels anymore, so the support for such size is going down.
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BrazilianY60 For This Useful Post:

mudnut (8th September 2023)

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415