Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12V plug in wagon

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile 12V plug in wagon

Howdy guys, ok firstly let me say I met with Tank (bigrig's) awesom GQ over the weekend and what a TANK looking forward to the Landcruiser park in March to see how she goes.

Now the question I am playing with designs for the back of my GQ in regards to Fridge or a chuckwagon etc. Has anyone built in a 12V plug into the back of there wagon and if so have you any design or photos on how you went about it?

Cheers
    Ryan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Howdy guys, ok firstly let me say I met with Tank (bigrig's) awesom GQ over the weekend and what a TANK looking forward to the Landcruiser park in March to see how she goes.

Now the question I am playing with designs for the back of my GQ in regards to Fridge or a chuckwagon etc. Has anyone built in a 12V plug into the back of there wagon and if so have you any design or photos on how you went about it?

Cheers
    Ryan

G'day Ryan. Glad you asked.

I was blessed with 12v already installed in my truck when I got it. Don't know how they did it, but here's the pics for it.

I would suggest you don't rush into it. Make out your wants and needs list, check out the other forums and plan for the future.

I personally believe it's best doing things properly the first time, but understand it's not always how it works out.

PS: I'm not trying to hyjack your thread. Ross
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to do mine quite easily. I used a 15amp fuse, narva socket, switch and about 7m of 4mm cable.
    Ran the cable from my seond battery through the firewall along the trim that sits on the floor/door throuht to the back. The pics tell the rest of the story.
    Cheers Mick

Everyone makes mistakes, the trick is to make them when no-one is looking.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molongmick View Post
    I managed to do mine quite easily. I used a 15amp fuse, narva socket, switch and about 7m of 4mm cable.
    Ran the cable from my seond battery through the firewall along the trim that sits on the floor/door throuht to the back. The pics tell the rest of the story.
    This is a neat set up that will be ok for a fridge
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I recommend two plugs. I also recommend at least 1 of them is a Merit Plug (like in Ross's Pic). Mine was done by the prev owner and is an Engel Plug (2 pin) and a Ciggy Socket which is also fine if you have an Engel frig.

There are a few reasons for opting for two sockets such as ... I run two Engels on long trips 1 as a Freezer and 1 as a Frig so both plug into the rear power panel and if you have a frig in 1 socket the other is there for compressors, lights, inverters etc

You can switch both but I would only bother switching one of them and they can be in parallel so no need to run seperate power cable. Mine are unswitched and fused at the battery.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Clunk (8th February 2011)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have them in the back of my GQ, I got an amplifier wiring kit and ran the wires to the back where the jack sits, I pulled the inner bracket out and cut a replacement panel out of alloy sheet, it has two ciggy plugs plus volt gauge and fuse box, I haven't got a photo yet but can do if interested. My jack now lives in the drawers (not that it fits anything)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah mate a photo would be great.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a quick photo for you to have a look at. The fuse box is behind the panel, as it only has two bolts holding it on it is quick enough to take off and change the fuse.

[/IMG]

The photo is from my old car but the panel is the same, now I just have a bit more crap in the way with rear drawers.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLY BOY View Post
    Here is a quick photo for you to have a look at. The fuse box is behind the panel, as it only has two bolts holding it on it is quick enough to take off and change the fuse.

[/IMG]

The photo is from my old car but the panel is the same, now I just have a bit more crap in the way with rear drawers.
    So this is built over the original storage hole on the back left had side? Look nice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fitted an Engel plug with switch & light into the side panel on the passenger side

ran the cable through the floor channel to a fuse block then onto my 2nd battery
    plug in Engel, turn switch on, works lovely

cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast