Thread: 09 GU engine stops when taking off in 1st

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

09 GU engine stops when taking off in 1st

Hi all ... Have a stock 09 GU that I'm having issues with. Has 60k on the clock. Issue is the engine cuts out usually with a loud clunk when taking off at lights or up a hill or when in soft sand. Revs drop real low and I have to really pump the accelerator to get revs up to the 3k area while slowly releasing the clutch (yep not good for the clutch).

Dropped the oil every 10k but will be doing it more often when I can. Have replaced the fuel filter, air filter, and oil in the last 1000kms. Have changed fuel, used to use mostly Caltex but have changed to Shell now to see if fuel brand makes a difference. Have also used injector cleaning additives (Whynns) to see if that might help as well.

Even had the accelerator pedal system replaced as a Nissan recall affects our model.

Still having the same issues. Mostly noticeable when towing the camper (1.5t) at lights or in soft sand (no camper).

Usually the Patrol shows no black smoke even when under load however there is generally a big puff of it when I'm pumping the throttle to get the revs up enough to prevent the engine cutting out.

Any thoughts as to what else I can try? Or even what may be causing this issue.

Seems to me (as a layman) like there is a blockage somewhere that causes a loss of power that results in the cutout.

Other than that the engine appears to function fine ... Power seems to be there in other gears and at the right time.

Help would be appreciated.

Sanz
    09 3L TD Patrol + EasyCamper.

Getting Lost in Australia
    http://www.facebook.com/GettingLostAU

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did Nissan mention any previous fault codes
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No ... I did ask if there was any other issues and they said they didn't check for anything else ... was just a recall fix. Is there a way to access that info myself?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you would need to get a scangauge to tell you whats going on, but you could get a mechanic to see if there is any pending codes, although it seems like it struggling to boost could you have a look around the intercooler and hoses for oil may be a leak. hang in there will be some more people talking soon. kev
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the problem start after the recall fix?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No ... Problem started at about 40k ... we purchased the car at 33k and it towed great with no issues. Now that I think about it we seemed to have better fuel economy at that stage as well. I've dropped the oil at 10k intervals and replaced the fuel and air filters once since then as well. Towing the same setup back then we were getting close to 700km from the 90 litre tank ... now we barely scrape past 550km. Driving style is ultra conservative, we tow in 4th at 90km/hr as the engine seems to sit at that speed nicely.

The issue is also noticeable when driving on sand in H4 ... Taking off in 1st there just doesn't seem to be power initially and I have to pump the accelerator to get the revs up or the engine cuts out.

Would a dirty or faulty MAF sensor cause something like this? Or should I be looking more toward the fuel system?

Thanks.

Sanz

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what engine are we talking here? definately remove and clean the MAF sensor, just use carby cleaner on it, I just keep spraying mine till it looks clean then dry with compressed air about 10 psi

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the 3 litre ZD30 engine.

I'll pull the MAF out and give it a good clean. I don't have carby clean on me but do have isopropyl alcohol ... will that do?

Are there signs of wear or anything on the sensor that would indicate it could be causing issues?

Thanks for everyone's input ... Much appreciated. Hoping to sort this out soon before we head into the Top End and then into the Kimberley.

Sanz

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GettingLost View Post
    I'll pull the MAF out and give it a good clean. I don't have carby clean on me but do have isopropyl alcohol ... will that do?
    That should be fine! dont use any brushes or scrubbing devices, just keep spraying the MAF till it looks clean, make sure its dry before installing, also I use electrical grease on the connector before connecting the plug

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    type in check maf sensor in top right hand corner and press magnifying glass beside it. scroll down to sticky checking and cleaning maf sensor started by ynot. do you think it may be turbo lag as it just sounds this way could also be a faulty egr quick fix on that is block it or like I said earlier boost leak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast