Thread: Uhf and stereo wiring gu4

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Limmy View Post
    What is difference from Legal and illegal power cb ?
    mines an oricom 80 channel uhf
    All manufacturers make their radio sets suitable for a frequency range, lets say ABC Company makes one that will hypothetically work on any frequency between 400 to 500 Mhz.
    All countries around the world divvy up "their" bands differently EG Australia has divided up its frequency spectrum so that the public CB band where only the radios need a class licence and the users don't need one is 466 to 468 (roughly).
    To give as many people as they can access and cause the least interference to each other the rules limit the transmit power in this CB useage to 5 watts
    If you want to pay money for a licence and your own frequency you can legally transmit much higher power on your frequencies outside the CB band.

So, probably 75% of the manuf are like ABC and make a single model radio that will transmit higher power over wide bands and leave it up to the user (or techies) to program the power limits and channels.
    Probably 25% or less are like Oricom, GME, Uniden and make an Australian CB specific radio that cannot be reprogrammed.

Therefore you end up with...
    A) radios like your Oricom that will only do 5 watts, have a narrow frequency range. This keeps cost down.
    B) legal approved radios that will cover a much wider band so they do the private channels and also higher power often called commercial. They therefore cost more and in Australia are required to be configured so that the User cannot change the power unless it is programmed by software by "authorised" techies.
    This is the realm of Motorola, Icom, Tait, Kenwood etc and is why the Icom 400 is considered one of the greatest all time "CB" radios ever.
    C) illegal radios similar to B but that can be changed to any power "out of the box". These are illegal in Australia now but abound on Ebay and are the Wouxun, Baofeng, Puxing
    If you see a radio adverstised as CB it is usually only capable of CB frequencies and 5 watts (or less) power
    If you see a radio advertised as UHF it is usually a B or C jobbie.

Probably a third to maybe half the users I know are running sets capable (I stress capable not necessarily transmitting) of higher than 5 Watts Tx power. My favourite brand is Wouxun and I have 3 of their sets for some years now that all perform very well and have yet to have a fault
    Anyway... Because of this you need to watch the power wiring and where you grab it from.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Limmy (12th April 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guys this is awesome information ! I love this forum . thanks again

Im going right now to pick up a few bits n pieces.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12