Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket airbox

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aftermarket airbox

I bought a 88 GQ a few weeks ago now and I'm starting the work to hook up the snorkel what would be the best airbox to be able to plum the snorkel and turbo?

I got into the quarter panel last night and pulled out the old cyclone filter so hopefully I can just fit a new airbox into the exiting snorkel
    ImageUploadedByMotorculture1396760584.137900.jpg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most just keep the primary cylinder filter setup.
    The blokes running big numbers fit commodore boxes or custom stuff from mill weld etc
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Matty852 (6th April 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can buy a replacement air box from PatrolDoctor in Vic that will go into the front left corner and take a GU Primary Filter. 3" inlet and outlet. Bolt in and keep your second battery.

If you chasing something a little more extreme the 4" stainless snorkel through the bonnet into a PatrolDoctor large air box but loose the second battery.

Check out their web site.

Keeping the Pre-filter box from Nissan is a little small. The GQ filter to suit that box is a Pre Filter and not designed for Primary Filtration. The GU TD42 filter goes I. The same place and is a Primary filter but is slightly bigger. I have modified my GQ box to take the larger filter but am looking to swap it out at some stage.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 6th April 2014 at 04:54 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Matty852 (6th April 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had a look, the patrol docta gu box seems to be the way to go, snorkel wise I will keep the one fitted on it for now and see how it goes, because of the intake in the snorkel

I am not too sure how it will go giving me enough airflow so worst case I will just use the existing hole in the quarter panel and make up a stainless snorkel and use the holes already made.

It makes things difficult with how low the snorkel sits on the panel and nothing else on the market would cover up the holes. ImageUploadedByMotorculture1396769261.900737.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah. bugger! Sh1t of an exhaust! You have a TD42! Wow wonder what that snorkel is off?? Never seen one like that before.

You will probably have to chase a new quarter panel I'd say. Then anything possible.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said the same thing when I first saw it, the it actually draws upwards through a piss ant intake, I haven't seen anything like it before

Thanks
    Thanked 12,429 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty852 View Post
    I said the same thing when I first saw it, the it actually draws upwards through a piss ant intake, I haven't seen anything like it before
    TD42 needs a lot of air when turbod. That snorkel will really limit you.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured as much, as it is I am running a larger high mount already. I brought it as it was, once it dies on me I will replace it with a low mount Mitsubishi turbo. So it looks a bit tidier. My main concern at the moment is to get rid of the pod filter and hook a snorkel up and fit a new airbox. ImageUploadedByMotorculture1396779024.968840.jpg

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once that is taken care of I will be looking at fitting an oil cooler to help it deal with the Darwin temperatures

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So for now I have settled for a zd30 airbox which fits in nicely, I will look at a stainless box once I swap out my turbo for a low mount which will give me a bit more space to play with

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast