The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Why not fit the Relay to the camper and wire the changeover relay sense wire (+ve of the coil) to the input of BCDC.

When no voltage is present at the BCDC Alternator input the relay will be "relaxed" and directing Mains powered 12 volts to teh batteries

When voltage is present it will be "energised" and therefore knows it is hooked up to the Car and switch.

P.S. Cuppas right. Big Panels are an absolute PIA, been there, done that, couldn't wait to not do that anymore
    Mate, there's nothing evil about you!!!! More so an angel... Great so I will go get a change over relay now and will be back asking more questions....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Mate, there's nothing evil about you!!!! More so an angel... Great so I will go get a change over relay now and will be back asking more questions....
    Hold onto the hugs until we make sure it works... them eggs are dangerous critters and can attack your face without warning
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you doing with your old panels???? he he

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyaussie View Post
    What are you doing with your old panels???? he he
    Gonna convert them into a bi-fold camp table.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why not fit the Relay to the camper and wire the changeover relay sense wire (+ve of the coil) to the input of BCDC.

When no voltage is present at the BCDC Alternator input the relay will be "relaxed" and directing Mains powered 12 volts to teh batteries

When voltage is present it will be "energised" and therefore knows it is hooked up to the Car and switch.

P.S. Cuppas right. Big Panels are an absolute PIA, been there, done that, couldn't wait to not do that anymore
    Just to clarify on the bold section. A bit confused here. The mains charger I have removed, for now. As I want to get the 1225 sorted. So the mains 12V powered could be solar power?
    Then after the 1225 is in. I assume to reinstall the mains charger I would just wire up the output wires to one of the batteries. This won't hard the dc-dc charger at all?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Just to clarify on the bold section. A bit confused here. The mains charger I have removed, for now. As I want to get the 1225 sorted. So the mains 12V powered could be solar power?
    Then after the 1225 is in. I assume to reinstall the mains charger I would just wire up the output wires to one of the batteries. This won't hard the dc-dc charger at all?
    Now you've confused me... what do you want your "changeover relay" to switch between?

I pictured one thing but actually now I think you are after...
    Pin 30 Batteries
    Pin 87 Mains Charger +ve Output
    Pin87A BCDC output
    Pin 86 Mains Charger +ve Output
    Pin 85 Earth

When no 12 volts is available from the Mains Charger the relay is relaxed and the BCDC supplies charge (regardless of whether it is Solar or Vehicle input to the BCDC)

When there is 12 volts from the mains charger the relay energises and the Mains Charger supplies the charging voltage and teh now open 87A contact isolates the BCDC from the Mains Charger
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now you've confused me... what do you want your "changeover relay" to switch between?
    I assume it need the relay to switch between solar and dc-dc charging. As per instructions it says I need one for when having both Solar and dc-dc wired in...No mains charging.
    12v and solar.jpg
    Pin 30 Batteries
    Pin87A BCDC output
    Pin 85 Earth

When no 12 volts is available from the Mains Charger the relay is relaxed and the BCDC supplies charge (regardless of whether it is Solar or Vehicle input to the BCDC)

When there is 12 volts from the mains charger the relay energises and the Mains Charger supplies the charging voltage and teh now open 87A contact isolates the BCDC from the Mains Charger
    Yep. I understand that bit. As I physically have two charging units, the mains charger that came with the trailer and now the dc-dc charger.
    Thinking out aloud here...remember I have removed the mains charger for now.
    I was to hook up the dc-dc charger as per instructions with the relay connected somehow. Then to re-install the mains charger by simply attaching the two output positive and negative wires to one of the batteries to charge both whilst at home.
    But I am worried if I wire it in this way I will damaged the dc-dc charger.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Pin 30 Batteries
    Pin87A BCDC output
    Pin 85 Earth

Man this takes a while for me to get around. That should work so the main charger and BCDC charger switch over but then I need to do it again for the solar and dc-dc charger on the BCDC to switch over.
    Running one C/O relay to switch between the two chargers and then another to switch between solar and dc-dc.
    I'm so close.

If I do as the diagram says, I need to get power to the switching pin #86 on the relay. The only two ways I see it happening is a manual switch, seeking power from the camper batteries, or, running a switching wire from the car. Like the diagram says. But thats not feasible.
    Last edited by mudski; 4th April 2014 at 05:56 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The changeover relay has nothing to do with a mains charger!

It's purpose is to make the switching between alternator & solar automatic. Basically when ignition is turned on the relay connects the alternator to the bcdc, & when ignition is turned off the relay connects the solar to the bcdc. Unlike some setups the bcdc chargers use either/or solar & alternator, not both together.

The changeover relay could be replaced with a manual switch provided your memory is good enough to always switch over when setting up & breaking camp. The automatic setup is very convenient when fixed panels are used. Install & forget.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (4th April 2014)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    The changeover relay has nothing to do with a mains charger!

It's purpose is to make the switching between alternator & solar automatic. Basically when ignition is turned on the relay connects the alternator to the bcdc, & when ignition is turned off the relay connects the solar to the bcdc. Unlike some setups the bcdc chargers use either/or solar & alternator, not both together.

The changeover relay could be replaced with a manual switch provided your memory is good enough to always switch over when setting up & breaking camp. The automatic setup is very convenient when fixed panels are used. Install & forget.
    Sorry Cuppa, I see you are frustrated. Try being me! But ET has explained how to use a change over relay for the two chargers. DC-DC and the mains charger.

But to your explanation. How do I get the switching wire from the ignition (as per instruction says) to the relay on the trailer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    The automatic setup is very convenient when fixed panels are used. Install & forget.
    Fixed as in permanently mounted? This setup isn't if it makes a difference.
    Last edited by mudski; 4th April 2014 at 07:28 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast