Thread: DIY LPG install questions for tb42e

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY LPG install questions for tb42e

I love my troll, but I hate the fuel use at 100 to 110, it sucks but I want to keep the diff gears the way they are.... So maybe a lpg dual fuel setup just for hwy driving would be good Im thinking ( yes it hurts). I remember helping an old girlfriends dad install an lpg setup years ago in VIC and the law was you just cant physically hook up the setup but its ok to install everything ready for that? Is that still the case? Also, Ive had heaps of dual fuel cars but mainly worked on safety cut off switch setups. With the start on petrol and then click to gas setup, thats would just be a switch like the safety cut off ones right? The rest woudnt be any different right?
    Cheers
    Rob

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    still against the law and most places want to do the work themselves as its their licence on the line
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ........and there are a few blokes who are removing their gas setup in favour of straight petrol, especially given the increasing price of gas relative to petrol. You should also check the maths. With reduced efficiency of gas (about 60% of petrol) and a much higher price relative to petrol than in the past you might find that on balance it won't save you much on an annual basis, especially if you take into account the cost of installing the gas setup......from what I have observed, reliability is compromised and you will probably also do a head while on gas. If I was going to convert mine to gas and I have no interest in doing so, I would go with a straight gas setup rather than run dual fuel, they are more efficient and in general work much better. As far as improving the fuel efficiency, exhaust (a little improvement), new ECU such as Nisstune (to allow a more efficient engine program), diff gears and turbo. The TB42 will never be a Prius though. Just my 2c
    Cheers,
    Drew

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (30th March 2014)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just dumped my gas set up and have gone straight petrol... the amount of things that were not working properly from the gas being so harsh was not funny..

My main reason for dumping the gas was being able to carry all the fuel I need and being able to get more in the Vic High Country (sick of carry many jerry cans) also upon seeing $1.05 at Merrijig I wanted to be sick.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good points. I have always had issues with dual fuel cars and have always thought either straight gas or petrol is better, but it was tempting. I think the old rule of thumb is if gas is more than half the price of petrol its cheaper to stay petrol. I dont want to go straight gas as running out of gas compared to fuel in the bush is going to cause multiple issues. The only reason I was even considering dual fuel was just for the hwy without changing diff gears and you can pick up an in date setup cheapish now days, but its the install costs that are the killers. Now i know I cant do it myself, I suppose Ill run the tb42e till she dies ( could be years even though she has 300 tho on the clock, such a reliable donk) and then maybe go the normal route of v8. Even a 5L has to be cheaper to run than the tb42e when considering the weight of the car. Ive read extractors, exhaust etc has minor improvements and its normal to just get more reliability over big power numbers. Definitely an idea with either a stand alone or piggy back ecu as a proper tune for my engine would give good results ( you cant have a standard across the board tune for every tb42e as every engines different in some way).
    Is it worth spending the dosh on the tb42 over an 8? Also, on the lines of turbo, how do the tb42e's respond with one seeing they have equal bore/stroke?
    Cheers guys for correcting me and making me see reason over a theory that might have worked in my mind and my mind alone. I appreciate any advise
    Rob

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A decent turbo setup on a TB42 will have you shredding rubber mate. Absolutely loves a bit of forced induction the old TB does.
    It is something I have my eye on doing in the future.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for that. Well, a decent 5L, adaptor, then wiring etc and engineer Id say turbo would be around the same money hey