Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 285/75/16 BFG KM2 VS MTZ's

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
    Ok. Cool. So what was your bad experience?
    Constant bead issues, dirt and spinning on the rim. Punctured very easily. Noisy. Not to mention, f ing expensive.

Km2s, although they are still new, handle great on road, great off road. Not overly noisy. Haven't had any bead issues either.
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lhurley For This Useful Post:

Lewy (27th March 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewy,

Don't think I will get 90,000 out of my KM2's, and I think it will be similar to my MTZ's at around 70,000.

I have just rolled over over about 20,000 and have been giving them a hard time, few cuts and scrapes, lost a couple of rubber chunks, but so much quieter than the MTZ....

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewy,

If you are only looking at $40- 50 difference per tyre I would definitely go the BFG's.
    Had them on my last vehicle and for the life of me, they were brilliant.

I had heard stories from tyre dealers that they were hard to balance and the likes so next tyre I went with and all terrain Micky Thompson. The BFG muddies out lasted these.

With my new truck I could not afford the BFG's, went with a Kelly muddy and would not buy them again. Every time it comes to a tyre I compare them the the BFG muddies.

Took the old truck in some pretty hard tracks and the KM2's never missed a beat.

The only problem with the BFG's is at times they seem to be hard to get. If you can justify the extra coin, and they are available, go with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    not going MTZs again. although quiet they just don't wear well as in longevity, Km2s next time for me
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    not going MTZs again. although quiet they just don't wear well as in longevity, Km2s next time for me
    TD - if you think the MTZ's are quiet, you will love the KM2's ....
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

threedogs (28th March 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have KM2s and love em, the only thing i would like to bring to your attention, is that KM2s are narrower than their actual size.

For example..... a BFG 265 KM2 will NOT be as wide across the tread as a BFG 265 A/T, dispite being the same size, from the same manufacturer , they are about 20mm different in width (see pic below, both tyres BFG 265/75/16)

This caught me out as i purchased my KM2s without seeing them, on arrival my 265s looked like cheese cutters, i then had to re sell them, then went the larger size 305/70/16 to get a equivalent "width" to everyone elses 285.

Now very happy, but please keep this in mind to avoid any dissapointment

<a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Far out hey! Thanks Steve. I'll make sure I take a look at that. I have booked in for the 285/75/16. But I'll ask them about the 305s.

Cheers.
    GU ST-L 4.2 turbo diesel Because reliability counts!!!!!
    Front Elocker and a Heep more cool stuff :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    I have KM2s and love em, the only thing i would like to bring to your attention, is that KM2s are narrower than their actual size.

For example..... a BFG 265 KM2 will NOT be as wide across the tread as a BFG 265 A/T, dispite being the same size, from the same manufacturer , they are about 20mm different in width (see pic below, both tyres BFG 265/75/16)

This caught me out as i purchased my KM2s without seeing them, on arrival my 265s looked like cheese cutters, i then had to re sell them, then went the larger size 305/70/16 to get a equivalent "width" to everyone elses 285.

Now very happy, but please keep this in mind to avoid any dissapointment

To be fair Steve you are comparing a brand new tyre to a used one. My 285's on the ute are wider than the brand new 285 km2 I have sitting in my shed, they see to fatten up a little as they settle. If you like I can post a photo when I get home this arv.

Also keep in mind with 305's they are a slightly bigger tyre again. Not that it's a worry anyways.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took all that into concideration Mat, trust me, it cost me much time and money to swap tyres, not something i took lightly.

Ok easy way to prove my point, ive had my KM2s on the car for well over 10,000Ks now, just measured across the tread (part that toutches the road, not inc sidewalls) measures 215mm (these are 305s remember)

Now i measure my BFG A/Ts across the tread = 220mm (they are a 265s)

As you can see, the 305s are actually narrower by 5mm than my 265s of the same tyre manufacturer, i am bending the tape right around to the corner edge of the tread, so even if the KM2 tread grows 5mm after 50,000 (not sure about that) my 305s will still only have the same actual width as my 265s.

I realise im comparing 70 profile to 75 profile so the total footprint is different, but regardles of anything else, im going on actual width of the tread that is in contact with the road.

The pic of the two tyres are both off rims for the reason you spoke of Mat, but I honestly cant see how my tyres will grow any bigger from this point onwards ? (but happy to be corrected)

So yes if you could run a tape across them Mat that would be good
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm here now getting the km2 put on. Going the 285s as the 305s where 100$ more each and getting 6 so bugger that! LoL
    Thanks every one for your input!!
    GU ST-L 4.2 turbo diesel Because reliability counts!!!!!
    Front Elocker and a Heep more cool stuff :-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast