Thread: Speedo - Sticking and inaccurate

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speedo - Sticking and inaccurate

Hi All, I went on holidays last month so my patrol sat for about 2 weeks. Since getting back, as I'm accelerating my speedo gets to about 40, holds there while I'm still accelerting and then will suddenly jump up to around the speed I'm doing. It usually jumps from about 40 to 60, but is getting worse. I've got big Mickey-T's on, so it's always been a bit out, but I've never seen the speedo just stick like this.

Any clues what's wrong? Am I just up for a new speedo cable or is it something more? Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing you have an 01 GU from your user name. The speedos are electronic. The input comes from an electrical sender attached to the gearbox. To me it sounds like the pointer is binding on something, be it touching the black dial face or the bearings have some foreign matter like fluff, dust or hair in them. It is also asked that you introduce yourself before asking questions on this fantastic forum. Tell us about your Patrol and any planned mods and stuff.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahhh from what you have said i had this problem about a month ago. (03 zd30 auto)

it sounds like its the sender unit sensor or the cog that goes on the sender unit. the cog is plastic and wares out over time as it wares against the gearbox.
    the spedo sensor comes without the cog just a heads up and sets you back 300ish from memory.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mk / mq speedo needle drop and touch facis - I had to shoten mine
    1991 GQ LWB 4.2 Carby dual fuel, 32 mud claws, 2 inch lift, LSD's front and back

And its Toooooooo High for the Ball & chain