Thread: What size Solar Panel ???

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob, again, I am no expert but I know that Morningstar, Bluesky and Victron are makers who are at the top of the pile in general when it comes to controllers/regulators. I don't know of SolarKing, but that doesn't mean much either. Most of these should handle the calcium batteries, but without looking at the exact specs of each, I can't advise you for sure.

Some MPPT Controller makers will claim up to a 30% efficiency over a PWM type controller, but you may also want to weigh up the cost v benefit of that increase, and not assume that you will actually get a 30% efficiency anyway, more likely a 10-15% efficiency benefit. Another factor is that a 160W panel setup might easily cover that loss, and still manage your batteries well with that PWM controller, whereas with a smaller panel setup the MPPT might be more critical, if that makes sense.

Cuppa or ET are probably better advising you here.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Bob (22nd March 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally have set up my Power for the Van and Camping. It is as follows:-

Caravan
    100 AH Deep Cycle (Calcium) Battery
    Redarc BCDC1220-IGN DC to DC Charger
    Run through Anderson Plug from Patrol which Charges Caravan Battery whilst travelling
    [Useage- LED Strip Lighting in Caravan and Caravan Fridge (12Volt) whilst travelling only. Campsite LED Floodlight]

FRIDGE/FREEZER
    110 AH Deep Cycle (Calcium) Battery
    Redarc SRP0240 40A Solar Regulator
    140 Watt Solar Panel (Not fixed to enable follow of Sun)
    53 Litre Fridge/Freezer

The Solar Regulator has the facility to charge two Batteries so I can also top up the Caravan Battery from Solar

I started up the Fridge/Freezer and set to -19 Degrees and after an hour of the Fridge Compressor running continuously I then connected the Solar Panel and Regulator.
    The Regulator indicated that the Battery was full charged after 45 minutes whilst still running the Fridge Compressor continuously .
    The Fridge/Freezer reached -18 Degrees after two hours with a fully charged Battery.

If there is a cloudy day I can connect the Fridge/Freezer to the Caravan Battery
    Last edited by Bob; 13th April 2014 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    sounds good solar wont work when raining and at a such an such % when cloudy.
    even cloudy you'll be getting something at least.
    Not a fan of mounting panels on roof tops , I'd rather chase the sun a bit more efficient
    Last edited by threedogs; 13th April 2014 at 11:44 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon you’ve got a reasonable system there Bob. Depending upon the power usage of your fridge & the weather you may want to consider a bit more solar down the track, but may find what you have is enough. The solar reg you have chosen has plenty of capacity for adding more solar (although it is a 20amp, not 40 amp unit). I reckon, given the choice, that roof mounting beats portables hands down, much less hassle, even though you might only get 70% of rated output. In good solar weather I’d say you can expect around 8 amps when your battery is down, probably a bit more whilst the panel is new.
    Regarding MPPT regulators ..... they are the current flavour (pun intended), & whilst a good MPPT regulator can manage to drag a bit more into batteries in certain circumstances the claims of an extra 30% isn’t anything like what the vast majority of users are ever likely to see. In addition to that there are plenty of cheap MPPT regulators out there where the only MPPT thing about them are the letters printed on the case. I continue to believe that a half decent PWM regulator will be far better than a cheap MPPT regulator.

Bob, if you haven’t already done so, I strongly advise you to buy the optional temperature sensor which is available for your regulator. It will make a big difference to the lifespan of your battery. It’s a pretty cheap investment at only 10 bucks!
    http://www.redarc.com.au/products/pr...erature-probe/

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Bob (18th April 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    I reckon you’ve got a reasonable system there Bob. Depending upon the power usage of your fridge & the weather you may want to consider a bit more solar down the track, but may find what you have is enough. The solar reg you have chosen has plenty of capacity for adding more solar (although it is a 20amp, not 40 amp unit). I reckon, given the choice, that roof mounting beats portables hands down, much less hassle, even though you might only get 70% of rated output. In good solar weather I’d say you can expect around 8 amps when your battery is down, probably a bit more whilst the panel is new.
    Regarding MPPT regulators ..... they are the current flavour (pun intended), & whilst a good MPPT regulator can manage to drag a bit more into batteries in certain circumstances the claims of an extra 30% isn’t anything like what the vast majority of users are ever likely to see. In addition to that there are plenty of cheap MPPT regulators out there where the only MPPT thing about them are the letters printed on the case. I continue to believe that a half decent PWM regulator will be far better than a cheap MPPT regulator.

Bob, if you haven’t already done so, I strongly advise you to buy the optional temperature sensor which is available for your regulator. It will make a big difference to the lifespan of your battery. It’s a pretty cheap investment at only 10 bucks!
    http://www.redarc.com.au/products/pr...erature-probe/

Cuppa
    Thanks for that Cuppa and yes I have a temp probe on the way

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob mate your right on top of it now that was a good read

cuppa that was a good read as usual thanks to both

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123