User Tag List

Thread: Rear Axle Oil Seals

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear Axle Oil Seals

Now both rear seals are leaking so I need to get off my RS and fix them. I have a 98 GU Wagon and I have been told that they are "dead easy just take off the wheel and the disc assy(caliper)undo the nuts that hold the axel in you can see them when you look behind the wheel then pull out axel the seal sits inside the diff at the end then just pry out old one and put in new one
    same as an old holden and such, the bearings will stay on the axel"

As I haven't gotten under the old girl to have a look yet I am assuming from the description that no special tools will be required.

Has anyone done them themselves, is it as easy as it sounds and are there any tricks that people would like to share
    Western Patrol Club member #27
    2.8TD GU --> The Red Rocket

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The job is as you have described.
    When you remove the brake callipers sit them up on top of the axle housing, don't let them hang down on the hoses.
    You will need a hook type seal puller to get the old seal out. I find the best way to get the new seal in is to use a socket the same diameter with a 6" extension and tap it in with a hammer.
    Clean the axle and try to hold the axle in the centre of the seal when you reinstall the axle,ie don't just let the axle slide in on the bottom of the seal.

Tony

4. The Following User Says Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

RustyNails (5th February 2011)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyNails View Post
    Now both rear seals are leaking so I need to get off my RS and fix them. I have a 98 GU Wagon and I have been told that they are "dead easy just take off the wheel and the disc assy(caliper)undo the nuts that hold the axles & accessories in you can see them when you look behind the wheel then pull out axel the seal sits inside the diff at the end then just pry out old one and put in new one
    same as an old holden and such, the bearings will stay on the axel"

As I haven't gotten under the old girl to have a look yet I am assuming from the description that no special tools will be required.

Has anyone done them themselves, is it as easy as it sounds and are there any tricks that people would like to share
    encountering the same problem. actually i encounter it now, i dont know what to do specially im new having this problem. i dont know if i go to my mechanic or i done it by myself.
    Last edited by ishie; 17th May 2011 at 10:18 AM.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ishie View Post
    encountering the same problem. actually i encounter it now, i dont know what to do specially im new having this problem. i dont know if i go to my mechanic or i done it by myself.
    While it's not a difficult job you do need some mechanical competency. Do you know anyone who is more knowledgable with cars who could assist you? If not then it would be best to leave it to a mechanic.

Tony