Thread: Doka's TD42 Safari Shorty

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doka's TD42 Safari Shorty

Well its been a while since I have had a patrol. But I got the hankering for another one a few months ago..

Now there is just something about a GQ I like and Ive always wanted a shorty..so I managed to pick up a 1989 TD42 Auto SWB Safari (Jap Import). Had around 197000 km on the clock when I got her (Just clicked over 200000km now)

Its been a slow 'work in Progress' kind of build and have been focusing on making sure its good to go mechanically rather than major mods..

but here she is as I got her..

So when she first turned up the got all the normal stuff..new batteries, coolant flush, all fluids changes etc
    It runs extremely well..in the last 10000k it has had (by the previous owner) :

New Injector Pump
    Head Rebuild
    New Air Con Compressor
    New Radiator
    New Torque Convertor
    New Shock/Springs

as well as a lot of other bits and pieces...but I have added...

All the oils have been changed (somehow they squeezed 8 litres of oil into the front diff!)and the only thing left to replace is the brake fluid, but its still pretty good (had it tested). I will be getting new disks/pads and braided lines so it will get changed then. Going to rebuild the front swivel hubs and do wheel bearings while I am there.

Rear cargo area, quarters and doors have been dynamatted and Focal Bam has be put over that to sound proof it. Now just got to get some more and do the front floors.

Enlarged the hole through the firewall (the one where the clutch would go through if it was a manual). Well actually did not enlarge the firewall hole, just made a new cover plate so I can run the wires through properly. Had to make a 'horseshoe' plate as there was existing wiring and have used Dynamat to help seal it all up.

Diff breathers just about done..had to make a bracket for them..

New Wheels and tyres are on..running 17" Mickey Thompson Classic 3 Alloys with BFG KM2's (roughly 33's).

Upper Adjustable arms going in this weekend. Have a dual Cardan driveshaft for the rear so thinking of getting a second hand housing and re-locating the coil hats etc so I can run that..but its not a priority at the moment.

New Dobinson 2" Coils have gone in..they are their flexi coils..so time will tell how they go.
    Also got some 4" Dobinson Remote Res Shocks in it, but they seem too still so they may get revalved/replaced

Extended Bumpstops front and rear are in..

Icom UHF is in..

Staying with the factory bar for now..so that's been tidied up. Also rebuilt/tested the Factory Winch and put that back in with Synthetic rope. Had to re-do the front fairlead but it came up pretty good in my opinion. Have kept the factory wiring for the winch, but have wired the original solenoid that provides power to the winch to a switch in the cab. Wired in a wireless remote but will also wire in a Winch IN/OUT in cab as well.

Been deciding on what switch gear to use and after too'ing and fro'ing have gone with Honeywell MilSpec toggle switches..nice switches and water/dustproof..just not cheap.

New Headlight reflectors and uprated globes in..Wiring lights wired up..but need to replace the lights as the headlamps outshine them..so for now got some cheap ebay 55w HID's..cant really argue with them when you pay 143.00 for 4 lights..so I got spares when they fail.

Had to get a new Spare Tyre Carrier bracket as the standard one wont fit a 33' it sits the spare lower than a normal Aus patrol one..But a foum member (Thanks DieselJoe) came through for me and sorted that out.

Gauges/sendors and adapters have arrived (VDO 24v) just waiting on the gauge pod and they can be fitted

Been thinking of turbo options..but have a few things I need to do before that. Have to get the Trans cooler and Thermo fitted, also going to put an additional thermo fan on the front of the Rad (in front of the AC Condensor) and have it switched in-cab so if I am crawling around I can switch it on to help keep things cool. Will have the thermo on the Trans cooler also switched in-cab.,

Started the wiring for the rear Aux power outlets..but I have to decide where I am going to put the 24-12v reducer and the additional battery in the back. Going to get a sheet of alloy made for the back as a base to hold the fridge etc so need to nut out exactly what I am doing there..I am not going with a draw system as I don't want the additional weight of one so trying to keep it simple and light. Once I sort that out I can work out where the Battery and ARB Twin-pump compressor will all sit and get that sorted etc.

other bits and pieces being sorted just as part of a tidy up..got enthusiastic and claybarred the truck..and gave it its first coat of wax..so it needs another quick wash and some more wax..few little bits of trim to tidy up..but its getting there.

New Head unit went in, so now need to upgrade the speakers..

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to doka404 For This Useful Post:

AB (5th September 2014), Clunk (5th September 2014), growler2058 (7th September 2014), NissanGQ4.2 (5th September 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some Pics of where it is now....

Dobinsons in.. (front)

Diff Breathers (only had to make the bracket twice )

The horseshoe plate I made up to allow more cables into the cab..just have to tidy up the existing wiring now

Gratuitous under bonnet pics

UHF Install

Winch after I stripped and rebuilt it

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doka404 For This Useful Post:

AB (5th September 2014), Clunk (5th September 2014), growler2058 (7th September 2014)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and..here she is...

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to doka404 For This Useful Post:

Clunk (5th September 2014), growler2058 (7th September 2014), mudnut (26th October 2014), Stropp (8th September 2014), Woof (5th September 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks nice mate
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that Trol looks pretty Schmick.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mate, that has got to be the cleanest engine bay I have ever seen and the rest of the car isn't that shabby either......... looks great

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mate..I was real lucky with it as I bought it sight unseen off gumtree and was quite happy when it arrived as good as I thought it would be.

Its been a bit of a labour of love over the last few months..had to be engineered to be registered as its an import. NSW don't recognise the QLD Rego/ADR Approval. But really its just been a case of slowly going over it and making sure its all ship shape.

Considering it was completely stock and unmolested (still has the original exhaust on it, paint is all original,still had the Nissan Winch cover and even has a full compliment of unbroken grill clips lol ) ..I reckon its worth the effort.

Its a long way from being finished..but its slowly taking shape..
    Last edited by doka404; 5th September 2014 at 10:42 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to doka404 For This Useful Post:

Woof (5th September 2014)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got to thank a good mate of mine who let's me keep it in his workshop and do all the work there. Its much easier when you got a big shop with all the tools and bits you need to work on it. I secretly think he likes having it there lol and got him going..if he found a GU shirty i think it would be snapped uo and be sitting next to it...he has already been dreaming of a Duramax GU Shorty

But he also helped me out with bits and pieces...the wheels on it he bought for his Duramax GU but decided to go with an it set of stock rims for his 37's so gave those to me. He also had the Dobinson shocks, but when they started to leak he swapped them out for Fox shocks and gave me the Dobinsins, which I got fixed under warranty.

In fact he was the one that actually found the shorty..called me one day when I was looking and told me about it..said he was just ducking out and would give me a call back in 30..so 30 min later he called to say.."shorty looks good, l I've bought it"..quick bank transfer over to him and transport organised and away we went..

Best mate ever and can't thank him enough..so many times I had had moments of 'bugger need to get some of those, and he turns round and says 'top draw in the office, plenty in stock so grab what you need' hell even when I worked out those light force spot ties were no doing the job..he wandered into the office sat down and 5 minutes later came out to tell me he had just ordered some HID's for it..can't thank him enough..

So Chucky..if you ever read this..Thank you for everything..would not be doing it without your help, and always a pleasure to help you out with things and tone able to work on your trucks!

Doubly lucky when just around the corner is one if the best shops for steel, ally nuts bolts and all those things you need..they are even open on Sundays which has been a life saver
    Last edited by doka404; 7th September 2014 at 07:56 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the Mickey T rims mate

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growler2058 View Post
    Love the Mickey T rims mate
    17's may not be everyone's choice, but she won't be a tourer..really just a toy for weekend runs and the like

So its a bit different and yes the tyres are a bit more exxy..but I like how it looks lol much better than the gold steelies it came with..

Its been a while since I have gone to this much trouble on a truck that was actually mine, so any suggestions or tips on things I could do or could have done matter..post away!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast