Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

35 vs 315/75R16

Hey guys this is a conflicting issue, as im sure most would knw hahaha

Now im well aware of the 2 tire size in question, both are pretty much similar, 315's = 34.6 inchs tall, but i guess it all comes down to pricing, but taking that factor out, which would perform better overall? mud, sand, clay and road...

to put it into context, would a Bighorn 762 perform better or worse as a 315 or 35? or are both pretty much same as same?

im curious to know as later on the year, i do plan on getting some weekend mud tires, specifically for play, and keeping the stock 31's for daily and towing cars around to track days and events

Im lead to believe that 15's do air down better and provide an much wider track, where as 16's would have a much firmer side wall, and give better protection against rocks or any sharp objects piercing the sidewalls, does this have any truth to it?

cheers guys, have much to learn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,523 Times in 6,609 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So a 35 will be in a 15" rim. A 315 will be on a 16" rim. I went to 16s as I think that they leave a little more space around the brake calliper to provide ventilation and airflow. Also playing in the mud they will be more likely to clear mud from in behind.

When you air down the objective is not really the bagging out to make the tread pattern wider, its about making the foot print LONGER ther will be little to No advantage in the length of the footprint once aired down from a 15, 16 or 17" rim.

I am happy with the 16s. Most comp guys have now gone to a 17" rim and a 37" tyre. That will be my next combo for sure.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your theories sounds right, but the 16's would probably a better all rounder when off road. Still deflate well with a little extra protection.

In regards to your metrics and imperials, I found when I was looking for shoes that in some cases the imperial version were cheaper than the "same" tyre in metric version.

So shop around and don't settle.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind also that you are more likely to find a 35 that a 315 when out in the bush

Cheers
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!!!
    My rig HERE http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Moneypit-89-GQ
    WARNING: Towballs used in a recovery can and DO KILL people!!!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all good pointers guys, and yes, ive noticed alot of the guys who bush bash alot tend to go 15's, and maybe pricing has to do something with it hahaha

As far as pricing goes, 16's tend to be more pricey, not sure why though, considering both are pretty much the same tall length as each other

But yeah, always on the look out for good bargains, still got couple months before settling on rim and tire choice

cheers guys

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate I made a post about tyre prices not long before this one here is the link. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...hoes-And-Socks!
    06 TD 4.2 coil cab, 3 inch lift, front ARB air locker.