Thread: GU4 Chassis/Coil tower strength and options for Africa expedition

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate them!

I had a look on Superior Engineering's site but I couldn't find anything bolt-on for a wagon that won't foul the auxiliary tank, I think I will go with the ATOC option if possible, if I am a bit strapped for time, I'm sure the Superior weld-on ones will do the job - watching the weight and only taking the essentials should minimise any extra strain on the towers and chassis.

MudrunnerTD, GUs with a 4.2 are really hard to find over here! All our GUIV Patrols are 3.0L and the only 4.2L we have are GUIIIs with only an automatic transmission :P

Thanks Kallen, I think it is about that, or slightly higher. I reckon that'd be a good idea, no need taking anything extra, anything you'd recommend that's particularly useful?

Threedogs, thanks that would be awesome if you could - sounds like he had a pretty epic trip himself!

Keep an eye out for a trip blog in a couple years time!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tools it's a tough one. But there is no point you taking a ratchet socket set and your mate.
    The patrol is all metric.
    So 10,12,14,16,19,24 and 27 will fix any bolt.. Open ended spanners are handy as you can double the up for extra leverage..
    Hammer, punch, adjustable spanners..

Duct tape or race tape and cable ties!!!!

Screw drivers..

Then you start on the specific tools.
    52mm socket for the wheel bearings..
    A spare set of cv's if you think worthy.
    Hoses, belts, wheel studs and nuts.

We do get ripped off over here for genuine parts, may be cheaper to buy when you land over there..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by karllovesmercedes View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate them!

I had a look on Superior Engineering's site but I couldn't find anything bolt-on for a wagon that won't foul the auxiliary tank, I think I will go with the ATOC option if possible, if I am a bit strapped for time, I'm sure the Superior weld-on ones will do the job - watching the weight and only taking the essentials should minimise any extra strain on the towers and chassis.

MudrunnerTD, GUs with a 4.2 are really hard to find over here! All our GUIV Patrols are 3.0L and the only 4.2L we have are GUIIIs with only an automatic transmission :P

Thanks Kallen, I think it is about that, or slightly higher. I reckon that'd be a good idea, no need taking anything extra, anything you'd recommend that's particularly useful?

Threedogs, thanks that would be awesome if you could - sounds like he had a pretty epic trip himself!

Keep an eye out for a trip blog in a couple years time!
    Yeah wow!! We had the TD42Ti into 2006 and the GUIV. To my knowledge I don't believe Nissan ever imported the Patrol in GQ or GU form with a TD42 paired with an Auto!!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    Tools it's a tough one. But there is no point you taking a ratchet socket set and your mate.
    The patrol is all metric.
    So 10,12,14,16,19,24 and 27 will fix any bolt.. Open ended spanners are handy as you can double the up for extra leverage..
    Hammer, punch, adjustable spanners..

Duct tape or race tape and cable ties!!!!

Screw drivers..

Then you start on the specific tools.
    52mm socket for the wheel bearings..
    A spare set of cv's if you think worthy.
    Hoses, belts, wheel studs and nuts.

We do get ripped off over here for genuine parts, may be cheaper to buy when you land over there..
    I'm happy; that's basically what I had planned Duct tape and cable ties should be compulsory in any tool box haha, could fix just about anything with those and some WD40
    psssssht......Spare CVs on a Patrol? My mate is looking at a 'Cruiser, he should be the one worried about weight - have to carry a couple spare front-diffs in boot

MudrunnerTD, yea all the new cars over here are auto!!!! It's really annoying, so difficult to find a good condition manual truck or car. You guys in Aussie have it good with such a selection of vehicles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12