OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public interactive maps, thoughts?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Public interactive maps, thoughts?

I'm curious what peoples thoughts are in relation to the multitude of open source public maps of the high country etc.
    MudMap have one, Hema now have one. My concerns are that I don't really want to tell everyone about my favourite campsites or fishing spots because then they become crowded and more than likely no longer a good spot to go to.
    Discuss....

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't post them up then. I cant imagine you'd get hundreds of people go to a campsite anyway just because you've posted it on a map. I like it, when I'm going to an area I check out what people are saying about all the campsites.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (15th March 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed with Winnie on this
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's interesting? I did not kow this feature existed? Is that on MM2 ? So through the App you can click on a camp site that someone has added via their own POI and it becomes logged within the App for all to see and you can read their rating of it??

Interesting. Could be awesome! I don't think it would see camps being over populated. It might see a few more using it throughout the year and next time you go there someone might already be there but so be it. Has some real potential also for finding very good spots and read about large groups dumping into sites and loud groups.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MM2 has this feature similar to HEMA's campsxaustralia being built into their app
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    That's interesting? I did not kow this feature existed? Is that on MM2 ? So through the App you can click on a camp site that someone has added via their own POI and it becomes logged within the App for all to see and you can read their rating of it??

Interesting. Could be awesome! I don't think it would see camps being over populated. It might see a few more using it throughout the year and next time you go there someone might already be there but so be it. Has some real potential also for finding very good spots and read about large groups dumping into sites and loud groups.
    That's pretty much it. It's pretty good and you can upload photos of the campsite fr people to look at too. What type of facilities are there etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not being critical of the concept because as Winnie and Daz suggested there are some great points behind the concept. I guess I'm just iffy about posting some of my favourite bush camp locations because up until now they have been "off the grid" so to speak and that's the reason I go there.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    I'm not being critical of the concept because as Winnie and Daz suggested there are some great points behind the concept. I guess I'm just iffy about posting some of my favourite bush camp locations because up until now they have been "off the grid" so to speak and that's the reason I go there.
    Obviously though mate if there a spot you want kept a secret don't post it up. I added a couple of spots along Donnellys Creek Trk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 573 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    If you plot the course to and from your little piece of paradise Drew, is it there for all to see or do you have to upload it? I have the Hema maps and didn't even know that this could be done!
    2006 Ser IV GU, 6.5l TD V8 Chev with 4spd Auto, 3in Lift, 35in Kumho's, 12000lb winch, Nissan snorkel, Diff breathers, lightbar + Lightforce HD spots on roofrack. Built to go bush.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It needs to be uploaded, the new HEMA app which is similar to the MM2 app also needs to be uploaded but it also has a geocwche feature from ohotos taken with apple devices etc

www.swat4x4.com

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oncedisturbed For This Useful Post:

Gecko17 (15th March 2014), Hodge (15th March 2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast