Thread: ARB Roof Rack & Awning deal

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Otech66 View Post
    Ive been looking at all types of alloy roof racks for my GQ and have priced Rhino,Blackwiddow and ARB, they are all priced from$1000-$1500 depending on the one you want and where you buy it. I came across the Pinnacle ones on their website for $400+freight. surely freight to Tas is only $150 max (ive emailed them)
    They look the same as the ARB ones only they have 4 feet for the gutter. For my money I will take a chance if the freight doesn,t turn out to be a ridiculous number. Its got to get to the Birdsville races and back next year Does anyone know anything more about these racks that might change my mind?

GQ owner for 10 years
    Have a read through the earlier parts of this thread mate, it is covered in there.
    They seem ok. For a cheapie they're ok but there is a better option.
    If you enter roof rack into the search bar there have been a few discussions on the topic.
    Cheers,
    Drew

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just bought the one that drew put the link up for
    It should turn up Friday I'll post pics on the weekend it cost $760
    Delivered to Brisbane

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a steel short rack on the cab of Y61 that I got off ebay, melbourne suppler, has stood up to outback corrugations, Usually only has second spare tyre/wheel on it but sometimes will have firewood etc. Not sure about alloy racks, do they handle corrugated roads without cracking welds?
    Trev

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trevbob View Post
    I have a steel short rack on the cab of Y61 that I got off ebay, melbourne suppler, has stood up to outback corrugations, Usually only has second spare tyre/wheel on it but sometimes will have firewood etc. Not sure about alloy racks, do they handle corrugated roads without cracking welds?
    Trev
    My initial cheapy E-Bay Alloy Rack broke a weld, as per my previous post on first use on our Double Simpson Desert Crossing, and when I took it back to the supplier he accused me of abusing the rack and breaking it - therefore no warranty ..... funny thing is that when he finally offered me a replacement one after an half hour standoff, the design on the new one was different, and this one hasn't broken after being used for quite a few trips but hasn't been subjected to the same punishing roads either.

I am happy with the new design, and can see that it will take more punishment, but I can still see better design features in the expensive ARB Alloy Rack ..... I bought the cheap one on a tight budget, as I already have the expensive ARB Steel Rack, and didn't want two expensive racks hanging in my garage, and thought I would give it a go.

If this was a competition :
    ARB Steel : 17 Years and still going strong
    First E-Bay Alloy Rack : 4 Weeks ...... broken
    Second ( New Design ) Alloy Rack : 8 Months and still OK

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Pinnacle rack arrived the other day and only ended costing $520.00 to Tassie. I am very happy and its very light being Alloy, supposed to be only 24Kg. it looks exactly the same as the one@Gute posted earlier on this thread. Its got the driving light brackets as well. I parked beside an ARB rack the other day to compare and apart from the ARB one having stronger mounts on the luggage rack the rest is almost identical.(thicknesses of tubing are the thing I cant comment on) The ARB one only had 3 mounting feet on the gutters where my one has four. So hopefully the one I have is a good adequate buy. Time will only tell.
    So far I would recommend a Pinnacle rack for the price.
    Regards Otech66

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been running the Pinnacle alloy rack for almost a year now. Have abused it with all different types of things and it does well. Even holds me and the rum lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. The Following User Says Thank You to meh For This Useful Post:

lucus30 (16th April 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meh View Post
    Ive been running the Pinnacle alloy rack for almost a year now. Have abused it with all different types of things and it does well. Even holds me and the rum lol
    Good to know as I've just fitted a pinnacle alloy rack last weekend
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the hunt for a Roof Top Tent Rack and was wondering if anyone knows anything about these:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Nissa...f600d0b&_uhb=1

I realise it weighs 45kg plus another 50 or so for the tent - probably not an ideal thing but I guess we can work around that.
    Most of the roof rack sellers on Flea Bay seem to be Vic based and are demanding $150 - $180 in freight for a rack. This one is in Sydney which is a lot easier for me because I often go there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pinnacle have a rack for roof top tents available, if they are like my full rack, I would go for it. Take notice of the amount of cross bars as lots of others have mentioned earlier. I think that makes the difference.
    go to http://www.pinnaclewholesalers.com.au/ and have a look

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The $150 - $180 freight charge turned me off the Pinnacle racks a bit. Thus the question about this one (Sydney based).
    It is a steel rack whereas the Pinnacle one referred to is an alloy rack so I assumed there would therefore be fewer cross braces.
    Am I on the right track here?

Quote Originally Posted by Otech66 View Post
    Pinnacle have a rack for roof top tents available, if they are like my full rack, I would go for it. Take notice of the amount of cross bars as lots of others have mentioned earlier. I think that makes the difference.
    go to http://www.pinnaclewholesalers.com.au/ and have a look

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast