Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ARB Roof Rack & Awning deal

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ARB Roof Rack & Awning deal

Hi all, I know there is a lot of information on here about roof racks and I have read a lot of it but I would like a fresh take on the current ARB special offer.

ARB are current giving away an awning with every roof rack sold. I am considering getting the full length alloy rack ($1611 fitted) and it comes with the 2meter awning. I just want a good reliable rack, something that can hold my gear and spare fuel/water containers.

Is this a good deal or can you suggest a rack just as good/strong at a better price?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You'd be hard pressed to find better designed gear, I think you buy a roofrack ,
    then you buy a fitting kit and then fitting on top of that.
    Ring a random ARB shop and ask what price they'll do for a full length rack only,
    and do your maths from there
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

4. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Patrol-Guy (9th March 2014)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased the full length alloy rack in December for $1511 and fitted it with help from a mate in their car park. Was quoted $100 fitting, but could only get over on a Saturday when they don't do fitting. Love the rack, done a 4000km trip with roof bag(clothes), fishing rods, chairs and kids scooters up there, so not a heavy load but full rack. We have 4 kids so rack is only way we can travel, campers at full capacity. Importantly it looks good & keeps the height just under 2.1, happy wife happy life.
    Very disappointed when I seen the awning deal as we wanted an awning as well, and have put it off till other things are funded.

Lemo.
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16293&dateline=137569  2513
    2006 GU IV ST 3.0L TD Di
    Autron Boost and EGT, Dual Bat, Dawes & Needle Valves, ARB Alloy rack, more to come.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemo79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I reading this correctly? $1500+ for a roof rack.
    IF ITS NOT BROKEN IT MUST BE A PATROL

8. The Following User Says Thank You to healy For This Useful Post:

Rickie3 (10th March 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemo79 View Post
    I purchased the full length alloy rack in December for $1511 and fitted it with help from a mate in their car park. Was quoted $100 fitting, but could only get over on a Saturday when they don't do fitting. Love the rack, done a 4000km trip with roof bag(clothes), fishing rods, chairs and kids scooters up there, so not a heavy load but full rack. We have 4 kids so rack is only way we can travel, campers at full capacity. Importantly it looks good & keeps the height just under 2.1, happy wife happy life.
    Very disappointed when I seen the awning deal as we wanted an awning as well, and have put it off till other things are funded.

Lemo.

Hey lemo,

Van you tell me please would you jump up on the rack and walk down the middle? Maybe jump up and down? For real.

I have an Alloy rack off eBay that has done the Madigan Line fully loaded. Packed smart it handled the load well. I avoided walking down the middle of it though and respected that it was alloy. Mine was $600 and I would buy another.

How much stronger is the ARB job? I know the Black Widow alloy rack is supported on Rhino Racks. How is the ARB?

****Edit.

I have just gone out and had another look at my alloy rack. My rack has 4 feet per side and a total of 12 cross bars including the front and back. What are the ARB numbers please?
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 9th March 2014 at 10:25 AM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    ARB have their own fitting system to suit different height and width 4x4.
    ans yes MR I think that is what ARB charge.
    You could be better off getting a Powerful 4x4 copy ,re-powder coating it,
    and fitting it yourself, that's all the guy up the road did all up cost about $600
    With an awning it sounds ok as they must be priced around $300 +
    Looks like 3 feet each side

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    ARB have their own fitting system to suit different height and width 4x4.
    ans yes MR I think that is what ARB charge.
    You could be better off getting a Powerful 4x4 copy ,re-powder coating it,
    and fitting it yourself, that's all the guy up the road did all up cost about $600
    With an awning it sounds ok as they must be priced around $300 +
    Looks like 3 feet each side
    Yeah I can see 3 feet a side so interested in seeing how many cross bearers there are. My eBay alloy job has 12.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    so 12 over what 1800mm that's pretty good ,mesh as well ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a previous gen TJM one on eBay a month or so back. $1500 new, I paid $250 and it appears in good nick for its 10 year age.
    When I was looking for roof racks I just couldn't justify the extortionate amounts of money ARB, TJM et al. want for theirs. I would have been quite happy with the one MudRunner did the Madigan line with (went to their showroom to check it out in person) but I found the TJM one on Gumtree the day before I was going to hand over the cash.
    Have a look on eBay and Gumtree. Much better value to be had there.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have an ARB steel rack on my old Patrol. At the time, I got the 3/4 length one and mounted back on the roof because the far less wind noise from it that way.
    It was an excellent rack and carried lots of heavy loads across some of the worst outback tracks in Australia but I couldn't justify the price tag today.
    I have seen some of the new generation "less than $500 Ebay racks" and must say some of them have been quite good. Some of the sellers even let you come and pick up from their place so that will allow you to scrutinize the finish etc before you pick up.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to apalsson For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast