Thread: Change of seats for patrol ute

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Change of seats for patrol ute

Hi there. Was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for a different drivers seat for my patrol ute. I'm afraid I can't tell you the exact model it is the last of the old shaped ones I think about 98. I am a farmer who
    Is in it all day and have trouble with my back which I think isn't helped by the right side of the seat collapsing due to me getting in and our quite a bit. I'm not a huge bloke or anything (about 97kg) and I have had it fixed up a few times but it doesn't seem to be up to the task. I just wondered if there were different seating options I could look into. I don't want to spend a fortune but by the same token in happy to spend a bit if it helps my back and I don't have to spend 50 bucks to go to the chiro all the time. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you are talking more supportive seat from different car? I am unsure of this.

There are the equivalent of a lazy suzan/turntable you can get to pit on the base of the seat to help yourself Swivel the legs out the door.

An upholsterer could add some bolster to the seat (buy a second hand replacement for the buggered one).

You can also get a purpose built back support from (well, I bought one from) a physio. This helps you sit correctly. I will try and take a photo for you so you know what you are looking for.

Perhaps a combination of the above. I recommend advice from a physio above mine!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,697 Times in 2,480 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few guys have fitted xr6 or 8 seats with a little adjusting to the seat frame although it needs to be engineered to be legal, I would not go recaro or anything too bolstered if you are in and out all day as it will just cause more problems.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have a dodgey back and 16 OPs later am having great difficulty getting in and out with a 2" lift.
    I have a strato 3000 seat and find it great as it has low thigh bolsters,
    The swivel captains chair that was mentioned is $4500. I had a KAB suspension seat
    in my Troopy but wouldn't recommend them for off road work but hwy driving they were great.
    You could source some seats out of a GU ST model , they may fit straight in.
    The Strato seat it about $700 and the base $400 , seeing its your Farm ute some seats from a commodore might be the go
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another vote for the Strato.

The Ute I just bought is an ex farm hack and the prev owner had it since new and it is on its second Strato.
    I was a tad unsure about them as they have a slightly shorter squab than the standard jobbies.
    Now that I've had it a while it is pretty darn comfy, easier to get in and out and has great back support (I'm 130 Kg)

I really love the Recaro's but they are def not suited to getting in and out all the time IMHO.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by P4trol View Post
    So you are talking more supportive seat from different car? I am unsure of this.

There are the equivalent of a lazy suzan/turntable you can get to pit on the base of the seat to help yourself Swivel the legs out the door.

An upholsterer could add some bolster to the seat (buy a second hand replacement for the buggered one).

You can also get a purpose built back support from (well, I bought one from) a physio. This helps you sit correctly. I will try and take a photo for you so you know what you are looking for.

Perhaps a combination of the above. I recommend advice from a physio above mine!
    I am open to all suggestions P4trol. I have used a cheap back support but the problem isn't in the back of the seat more so the base collapsing. It doesn't cause my back any harm getting in/out but I think that is what is destroying the seat as all your weight is transferred onto the right side in the process thus when I sit in the seat proper my right side sits lower than the left causing my back problem. I have had the seat redone but am wondering maybe a different type of foam may be more supportive or stronger.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok,

It sounds like you might need some sort of consultation with both an upholsterer and physio to custom make a solution. I don't know enough about foam and the seat base you require to offer any advice there. The good physio's advice though, is invaluable. That's how I got the current back support, which suits the needs of the back.

Here is the photo of the back support:

One set of straps keeps it bent/adjusts how much bend. The other set goes around the back of the seat to hold it in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Another vote for the Strato.

The Ute I just bought is an ex farm hack and the prev owner had it since new and it is on its second Strato.
    I was a tad unsure about them as they have a slightly shorter squab than the standard jobbies.
    Now that I've had it a while it is pretty darn comfy, easier to get in and out and has great back support (I'm 130 Kg)

I really love the Recaro's but they are def not suited to getting in and out all the time IMHO.
    Thanks everyone for your replies. All very helpful. It sounds like the strato seats may be suitable. Evil twin what do you mean when you say they have a shorter squab? I do want something that is going to last so not sure about commodore seats?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmer spike View Post
    Thanks everyone for your replies. All very helpful. It sounds like the strato seats may be suitable. Evil twin what do you mean when you say they have a shorter squab? I do want something that is going to last so not sure about commodore seats?
    The distance from the back of the seat to the front edge of the bit you sit on is shorter by an inch or two.
    The seat sides are not as pronounced as the factory seats and the back rest feels like it is more supportive as well.
    All that means they are easier to get in and out of IMHO.
    They also have an air bag lumbar support you inflate to suit.

The only downside is that they do not have a tilt lever so if you have stuff stored behind them you have to wind the recliner knob
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the photos P4trol. Evil twin do those seats fit straight in to a GQ patrol or do they need modifying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast