Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swaybar Links

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did a 2" lift, meaning 2 degree castor change. The correction bushes are 2 degrees, so castor should be back to stock.
    Alignment on front axle was:
    Camber +0.03 and +0.26
    Individual Toe +4.3mm and -13.3mm
    Total toe: +1.0mm

Geometric Driving Axis +0.13

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apalsson For This Useful Post:

catchinjack (11th March 2014), DSzuke (10th March 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading through the report ARB gave me after the installation of the 2" OME kit and found these figures

Before:
    Front-Left: 775mm
    Front-Right: 775mm
    Rear-Left: 785mm
    Rear-Right: 770mm

After :
    Front-Left: 800mm
    Front-Right: 800mm
    Rear-Left: 820mm
    Rear-Right: 825mm

I also had a 2 degree OME castor kit installed plus 10mm spacers behind the Radius Arms to clear the front guards a bit better.

Basing on the above, the difference is quite modest, or 35mm and 35mm front and 35mm - 55mm at rear. I'm in the process of fitting drawers in the back which I assume will eat up some of that difference.
    Steel drawers are typically around 80Kg but I plan on making my own from a combination of 18mm and 12mm plywood and expect them to weigh under 50Kg when I'm done.
    The reason for the small difference is clearly the fact that the car is a late model (2009), low mileage car that doesn't look like it has ever left the bitumen and the stock springs therefore haven't sagged at all like is so common on Patrols.
    Some of the ones you see on the streets look like Limmos' when you think how low they sit.

In addition to this, I have changed the tyres from the stock 265/75R17 to 285/70R17.
    Depending on which online tyre size calculator you look at, the tyre diameter is changed, anywhere from 2mm to 10mm

Assuming 10mm, total increase in height is only 35mm at front and 45mm and 65mm at rear.

Can we assume that these changes combined fit within the new rules and I don't have to use an engineer to re-certify the car?
    Next week, I will be going out to get a Blue Slip to register the car in NSW (I bought it in Qld). Do I have to be concerned about anything in that process?

Before:
    IMG_1111.jpg

After (Still on the stock tyres):
    IMG_1114.jpg
    Last edited by apalsson; 13th March 2014 at 07:30 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll be fine mate.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I'd post an update to this thread.
    As I mentioned above, I found the car had the wobbles following the lift so in went a 2 degree OME castor kit which seemed to significantly improve the steering. She is now slightly "lighter" around the centre but nowhere near what she was before the castor correction went in.
    Because the radius arms had to come out anyway, I got ARB to drop in the Radius arm spacers. I had some concerns if other geometry would be affected but this doesn't seem to be the case and everything is pretty good.
    There is no scrubbing anywhere now and the tread blocks comfortably clear the front mudflap brackets. Another side benefit of this is that now I can drop in 35" "play tyres" if I want to without any other changes.

Only thing I plan on adding now is a 2" extension bracket for the brake proportioning valve because Patrols seem to need all the brakes they can get and I also plan on towing a fair bit.
    This will bring the brake bias right back to stock. Roadrunner sell nice little pre-fab brackets for either 50mm or 75mm with bolts and nuts for some $24 or I could easily make up one from any scrap steel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12