Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hema Maps

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hema Maps

Hi does anyone know if hema maps for the ipad has campground and other info like the hema gps has,
    Or is it just maps,
    Cheers Tonks
    2004 GU111 4.2 TURBO WAGON, 2" OME SUSPENSION, 33" MTZ's, 3" BEAUDESERT EXHAUST, ARB ROOF RACK, ARB AWNING, BLACK WIDOW DRAW SYSTEM & CARGO BARRIER, DUAL BATTERIES, 12,000lb WINCH, GME UHF, LIGHT FORCE XGT SPOTTIES, BERRIMA DIESEL TUNE.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are now two different Hema apps for iPad. The Hema maps app, & the Hema explorer app.
    I only have experience of the Hema maps app, which does not come with the campground etc info.
    I believe the explorer app does have this, but I haven’t seen it, but find it dificult to suss out just what else is included. It is significantly cheaper than the maps app. I read somewhere that if you already own the hema maps app, & then buy the Hema Explorer app that you have buy the maps again in addition to the cost of the app.

When I bought the Hema maps app, I thought I was buying the same package that comes on their GPS navigator, but it is not a turn by turn navigator & does not have pre-installed poi’s like Camps Australia. Scanning, calibrating & adding additional maps is possible (although a bit of stuffing around) if you have a PC, but if like me you run a mac, it’s not possible without running PC emulator software. I quite like the maps package, but would I buy it again ..... probably not. What I really wanted was their full GPS Navigator on my iPad which isn’t available.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Tonks (7th March 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Tonks (7th March 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cuppa,
    The Hema maps is $ 129.00 & 1.6 GB
    The Hema Explore is only $ 49.00 & 37.8 MB

Surely the Explore is nowhere as good, why is one 1.6 GB & the other only 37.8 MB,

Cheers Tonks,
    2004 GU111 4.2 TURBO WAGON, 2" OME SUSPENSION, 33" MTZ's, 3" BEAUDESERT EXHAUST, ARB ROOF RACK, ARB AWNING, BLACK WIDOW DRAW SYSTEM & CARGO BARRIER, DUAL BATTERIES, 12,000lb WINCH, GME UHF, LIGHT FORCE XGT SPOTTIES, BERRIMA DIESEL TUNE.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have specials on from time to time and can be picked up for $99 I think??

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

Tonks (7th March 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonks View Post
    why is one 1.6 GB & the other only 37.8 MB,

Cheers Tonks,
    If you want all the maps you get with the 1.6Gb package you have to pay extra to add them to the 37.8MB package.
    Their whole marketing strategy irritates & frustrates me. If they had simply made the package from their GPS navigator available for use on a tablet at a reduced cost I would have bought it. The Navigator (HN6) itself is too expensive at around $600 - $800. I would have paid $400 for it as an iPad app. Decent maps covering the whole country, a good range of larger scale maps available to add, & turn by turn navigation to camp spots are the main things I want. The Hema Maps app gives me just the first of those 3 aspects. I’m not interested in the social media aspects of Explorer, & unwilling to pay Hema the $49 when I would have to pay out a lot more to get the coverage of the maps I have already bought from them. Camps Australia has download available for $19.90 which allows you to load all the camp spots into a gps navigator http://www.campsaustraliawide.com/pr...mps-7-gps-poi/ & then gives you turn by turn navigation to those spots. I may eventualy get it when we are ready to travel again, that way you get the latest update.
    WikiCamps is not bad & getting better, but no turn by turn navigation.
    Of course any camp sites lited in these sort of databases are prone to overuse. That’s why we bought a Patrol, so we can get further off the beaten track to find our own spots, but the databases are good as a backup, particularly when en route to an area of interest.

EDIT. THE new Hema HN7 is about to be released & can be purchased for $700
    Last edited by Cuppa; 7th March 2014 at 01:20 PM.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Tonks (7th March 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great topo's but slow and a bit of a pain loading them if ur internet speed isn't lightning fast

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app
    DONT FORCE IT! ......Get a bigger hammer

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fozzee63 For This Useful Post:

Tonks (7th March 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I understand it the Hema explorer does not store maps on the device, so is no good where there is no phone or internet connection.
    2010 TB4.8, 5 speed auto TI Wagon, Beaudesert ceramic coated Extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust, 3inch lift, BP-51 shocks, Black hawk radius arms and drop boxes, Road Runner Offroad billet alloy draglink, Boss air bags, 295/70/17 KM3s, Redarc Gauges, GME XRS UHF, Autometre fuel gauge, Alpine head unit with offroad maps, Carbon winch, Opposite lock bull bar, Light Force Strikers, Safari Snorkel, Duel long range tanks, work in progress.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to paulyg For This Useful Post:

Tonks (7th March 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulyg View Post
    As I understand it the Hema explorer does not store maps on the device, so is no good where there is no phone or internet connection.
    Yes, I wonderted about that. A video I saw suggested that the relevant parts of maps could be copied & pasted for use away from internet connections, but without seeing it actually used , it sounded a bit clunky & unfriendly to me. If anyone here buys it or has bought it, it would be really good to have a first hand review.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Tonks (7th March 2014)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using Hema Maps and Wikicamps with reasonable success. You can download the wikicamp data for offline access. For a total cost of $130 I think it is a very good compromise compared to cost of HN6/7.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to coiled For This Useful Post:

Tonks (7th March 2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast