Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

National Parks Open For Logging, Thanks! Tony Abbot

He's at it again,
    How embarrassing is it to be a Aussie right now with this idiot in charge.

Last night, Tony Abbott told the timber industry that too much native forest was locked up in national parks -- and that logging companies were the ultimate conservationists.

Abbott's new forests policy? No more national parks, the destruction of Tasmania's World Heritage listed forests -- and an announcement that our pristine wilderness is now open for business. This is corporate power gone crazy: a Prime Minister bowing to the extreme policy of an industry lobby, instead of listening to the public. We have to show him that we won't just stand back and accept this.

Tell Tony Abbott now: keep your hands off our national parks! Commit to protect our forests now.

Petition link if anyone else is appalled
    http://action.sumofus.org/a/Abbott-n...parks/?sub=mtl
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (7th March 2014), rusty_nail (7th March 2014), taslucas (8th March 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well at least he is right in saying too much is locked up, I'm sure that they could share 10 thousand acres for me to four wheel drive and dirt bike in

Once all the tress a ripped out all our National Parks will have houses built there.................its the way of our future.
    Last edited by NissanGQ4.2; 7th March 2014 at 05:31 AM.
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See I'm in 2 minds.
    I'm against touching the heritage listed stuff. That's for sure..

But were I work we cut down one tree and plant 5.. In the end 2 of the 5 will mature but only 1 cut down again.

We mainly do plantation logging, so like farming cereal crops..

I think if done right there will be no issue.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

@GUte (28th March 2014), FNQGU (7th March 2014), Fozzee63 (7th March 2014), NP99 (9th March 2014)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Abbott is worse than bloody Gillard, I'm yet to see a promise he made be fullfilled, all I see is excuses and the blame game.
    Cheers,
    Leo

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catchinjack For This Useful Post:

Robo (7th March 2014), rusty_nail (7th March 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That a great idea pull 1 out and plant 5 very sustainable, as a firewood cutter ( small scale ) I'm for sustainable cutting

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    never a good look when out 4x4ing and you come across a bald mountain scarred by logging.
    We need timber and it has to come from somewhere, though I'm not a fan having everything built from Pine
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (7th March 2014), Robo (7th March 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in a logging area and love it. One day as 3D says you see a large logged area but when you go back 12 months later it is covered in saplings and after a few years its better than it was before. What industry could be more sustainable than logging? Some of these so called "old growth" areas are only 30 years old and were planted. Too many bulldust spinners out there with their own agenda IMHO. Here in NSW it seems previous governments had plenty of money to buy up land and call it a national park - but they have no money to look after it - so they lock it up or call it "a conservation reserve" or whatever. When you climb over the gate and wander a couple of Ks into the wonderful "reserve" you find it full of weeds and feral animals. Talk to any farmer in NSW who has a national park as a boundry neighbour - they will tell you its a nightmare.

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

@GUte (28th March 2014), BigRAWesty (7th March 2014), FNQGU (7th March 2014), Maxhead (7th March 2014), NissanGQ4.2 (7th March 2014), P4trol (7th March 2014), Robo (7th March 2014), Sir Roofy (17th July 2015), TPC (7th March 2014)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I don't want to see any 'pristine' forests logged, but if I understood what I heard on the news, this area Abbott is talking about was previously logged, and isn't 'pristine'. I am also against locking up vast tracts of either Land or Sea to recreational users, such as what the Greens have been practicing for the last 20 years.

The other side of the coin here is that the timber that we need has to come from somewhere, and if we don't manage our own logging in a sustainable manner, then we tend to import. And where do we import from? A nice cheap source, such as Malaysia perhaps. Has anyone taken a peek at how they do business? Not much in the way of sustainable policy in there I am afraid. One of their biggest loggers gets into PNG in a big way, and masses of areas are completely cleared with no regard to sustainability or reinstatement, or species habitat management.

So before I go and scream anything at Tony Abbott, for making moves that support Australian businesses, I would like to understand the bigger picture a little better.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

@GUte (28th March 2014), Ben-e-boy (7th March 2014), BigRAWesty (7th March 2014), BillsGU (7th March 2014), gaddy (7th March 2014), Robo (7th March 2014), TPC (7th March 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atm there is a boat load a week leaving Portland, full of log. It's then sent back by boat in chip, pulp or timber.
    Trucks are rolling past our front gate and 150k's further down the road..

Sad really. Just goes to show how farked Australia is.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Robo (7th March 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    Atm there is a boat load a week leaving Portland, full of log. It's then sent back by boat in chip, pulp or timber.
    Trucks are rolling past our front gate and 150k's further down the road..

Sad really. Just goes to show how farked Australia is.
    Didn't realise there were old growth forests in South Oz. I thought it was all plantation.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast