Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was simple.
    Save diversity.
    It's what makes the world go round.

And the big AND is
    That diversity may just save your life or child's one day.
    that unique tree, frog or spider may just have cancer or whatever healing properties!!.

Once it gone its gone.
    I to enjoy driving up the odd bush track looking from the top of a hill for a great view.
    but not at the expense of life itself.

I often wondered why places like Blue Mts or Boudi are around so close to cities.
    Who in their right mind could want endless expanses of buildings.
    Simply so many benefits to having it ,it can't be covered.
    we can still have a track to drive up a enjoy the bush, without having to kill it.

It has to be accepted we as man cannot control his urge to pillage,
    and think he can some how manage it responsibly.
    Responsibly is a matter of perspective and here diversity is the loser.
    no more need said.
    Last edited by Robo; 8th March 2014 at 01:31 PM.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:

Rossco (16th July 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    I thought it was simple.
    Save diversity.
    It's what makes the world go round.

And the big AND is
    That diversity may just save your life or child's one day.
    that unique tree, frog or spider may just have cancer or whatever healing properties!!.

Once it gone its gone.
    I to enjoy driving up the odd bush track looking from the top of a hill for a great view.
    but not at the expense of life itself.

I often wondered why places like Blue Mts or Boudi are around so close to cities.
    Who in their right mind could want endless expanses of buildings.
    Simply so many benefits to having it ,it can't be covered.
    we can still have a track to drive up a enjoy the bush, without having to kill it.

It has to be accepted we as man cannot control his urge to pillage,
    and think he can some how manage it responsibly.
    Responsibly is a matter of perspective and here diversity is the loser.
    no more need said.
    Yep! Seems common sense to me.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    I’m sorry BillsGU, but I just don’t get it. How is opening up the ’saved bits’ of our country a great leap forward. Most if not all here like to get out into the bush, it’s the reason most have a 4wd, but is geting out into the bush about enjoying the bush for what it is, or just to ‘conquer’ rough tracks & feel like a ‘hero'?
    A simple question, would it be as enjoyable if those tracks were lined with concrete buildings rather than ‘bush’? I think most of us would answer “no”. Ok we aren’t taking about loggers replacing trees with concrete buildings, but the point I’m making is that there is something unique & valuable about our bush & I doubt that most would want to lose it.
    If we can agree that we don’t want to lose what we love, then we have to value & protect it from those who wish to profit without care or conscience.

The arguments tend not to be about whether we care about losing what we love, but about how much we can afford to lose & without changing our behaviours.

Suggesting that allowing logging to take place because it might open up some 4wd tracks is like removing most of the food from the shelves of our shops & saying it’s a good thing to do because it will make the aisles wider. Wide aisles might seem very attractive, but who will care how wide they are once we are hungry?

Australia is very special, even though we have lost huge tracts of bush over the past couple of centuries we still have extensive areas of bush left. It’s not like other parts of the world like the UK & much of Europe where the little bits of remaining woodland fit neatly between the man made. I recall the first time I stood up on an Australian bluff & could see nothing but trees for as far as I could see. It blew me away, I had never had that experience before I came here. If we take it for granted that we have plenty to spare, Tony & his corporate plunderer mates will do something about that quick smart. The National parks are the jewels in the Australian crown & we should all fight to keep them.

Robo’s last post made me think when he wrote “The trees cleared to replace with the ones they want Is killing off countless native species flora & fauna. Species that have taken thousands if not millions of yrs to develop and entitled to life just as we are. Not much diversity left only what they want to harvest. gee that’s got to be nice on the eye.” It seems reminiscent to me of the ’supermarket culture’. Just to take one example. Apples. I recall as a child that there were numerous varieties of apple, some good for cooking, some just for eating, all with their own unique flavour or texture. In just 40 or so years most are no longer generally available except to those who really care enough to search our to grow their own rare ‘heritage’ varieties.
    Our kids might be forgiven for believing there have only ever been a handful of varieties, the ones that can be found in the supermarkets, Granny Smith, Royal Gala & one or two more. Translate this to the rapidly reducing diversity in our forests, extinction after extinction. Animals, plants & trees. Dunno about you but when I get out in the bush on those tracks it’s what those tracks take me through that make it worthwhile, & if having tracks closed as a means of preserving that diversity I can live with that. I’ll walk through it, or enjoy going elsewhere, happy in the knowledge that there areas protected from being used as an ‘industrial resource’.

Besides, if the loggers get into a park, existing tracks will be closed until logging is completed & IF opened afterwards the sights will not be pretty. Ok for those who only see the bush as a series of bog holes & obstacles...... but certainly not a pretty sight.

I’m not specifically aiming my coments specifically at you BillsGU, the call amongst 4wd’ers to ‘open tracks’ is common, but is imho, often a selfish means of shooting themselves in the foot. Lets look after country first & enjoy it second. The alternative is to destroy what we love without understanding what we are doing. Lets keep the really special bits special, even if that means just knowing they are there. Who knows what we will be destroying if we let them go.Could be far more valuable than timber.

Bit of a ramble, but I hope it makes some sense to someone.

Cuppa
    No ramble Cuppa. Makes complete sense to me mate. Agree 100%

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Basically, if the logging industry was a sustainable one then there'd be no need to cut down native forests to expand logging coupes.

"Cut a tree down, plant one and the world is untouched" is such wrong statement.

Think that 200 years ago this country had not a single house, road, clearfell plantation, or mine. Not a single river dammed or animal introduced. Not one coal fired powerstation, chip mill or trawler fleet.

All that in a measly 200 years.

Ofcourse I use products from industry and I like them but I don't think we should be in such a rush to strip everything. What will the place be like in another 200 years?

For those of you playing along at home (lol) do a bit of research into the story of the Gunns timber company an tassie. Basically had a monopoly on the state and %100 NOT sustainable.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (17th July 2015), Rossco (17th July 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This thread is along the
    lines of my CSG thread.
    Which got shut down BTW.
    Last edited by mudnut; 17th July 2015 at 07:34 AM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234