User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Multimeters and test equipment.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what your specific needs, but I got a decent multimeter for like $35 from jaycar. It does everything I need it for.
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lhurley For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (6th March 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhurley View Post
    Not sure what your specific needs, but I got a decent multimeter for like $35 from jaycar. It does everything I need it for.
    Yep me too. I has a variable control rather than a manual select option and i like it. Mudnut i only use mine to measure 12v and Ohms on occasion and that is only looking for continuity. ET is talking another language to me and i simply have No Idea what he said and Bill was border line for me You must be playing with other stuff yeah? do you need the sinewave meter etc?? If so then spend the large for sure.

I dont think i helped.........
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

mudnut (6th March 2014), the evil twin (6th March 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ROFL... My bad... I'll try and translate.
    The OP is interested in potentially refurbishing instrument clusters so he is after waveform and signal pulse measurements and also very very low current applications.
    An everyday Digital Multi-Meter (DMM) won't do all those jobs but the hand held Scope Meters will suit admirably so he only needs one bit of kit for most of his testing.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

dom14 (5th March 2016), mudnut (6th March 2014), MudRunnerTD (6th March 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Jaycar qm1551 measure micro amps and I can source it locally. That and a mini handheld oscilloscope for $80 and I have the tools to do the job but accuracy could be a problem. Signal generators are really expensive for what they do, but I haven't fully researched them yet.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep, agree... it is your budget and your cash and that will get you started. You can always buy better gear later if it is worthwhile

For a sig genny you could use one of the el cheapo kits ex Jaycar.
    You won't need a full on sig gen because you can look at and adjust the output waveform of a kit sig gen with the Scope Meter or Cro.
    A saw tooth which is the easiest therefore cheapest waveform to generate will work just as good as sq wave, pulse or pulse width modulated for testing vehicle instrument clusters 99% of the time.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

mudnut (7th March 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Yep, agree... it is your budget and your cash and that will get you started. You can always buy better gear later if it is worthwhile

For a sig genny you could use one of the el cheapo kits ex Jaycar.
    You won't need a full on sig gen because you can look at and adjust the output waveform of a kit sig gen with the Scope Meter or Cro.
    A saw tooth which is the easiest therefore cheapest waveform to generate will work just as good as sq wave, pulse or pulse width modulated for testing vehicle instrument clusters 99% of the time.
    I agree. Also your sig gen will only need to generate low frequencies. Most of your work will be below 100 kHz which electronically is considered to be in the audio range. For this reason an average scope will do the job. It does not need a large frequency response. As ET says, don't go overboard just yet. Buy the basics and build up on that as / if required.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

dom14 (5th March 2016), mudnut (7th March 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was reading the specs on some of the sites for the uni-t and some don't list the micro amps as such, but as 400mA and 4000mA.

Just for a start, so as not to part out a lot of cash, I have taken the speed sender from my cactus gear box and will set it up with a small stand and flex drive to fit the variable speed battery drill. That should suffice for an accurate speed signal. I might try to get a distributor and set that up as well.

Is the green/red wire from the TB42E speedometer to ECM (ECCS module), pin a feedback signal for something, or an input to the speedo?
    Last edited by mudnut; 7th March 2014 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    I was reading the specs on some of the sites for the uni-t and some don't list the micro amps as such, but as 400mA and 4000mA.
    If it was me I would want it to measure micro amps. 1 milli amp is 1000 micro amps. When you are fault finding and aligning low power circuits you need to be able to measure low currents. Some years ago they bought new multimeters at work. They sent an electrician out to select and buy them and when they were delivered they were useless to the electronic techs because of their current range - they couldn't accurately measure low enough.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

dom14 (5th March 2016), mudnut (7th March 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It just makes me nervous buying stuff off people that can't list the product specs properly.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But when you are dealing with model numbers you just check the specs out elsewhere, and buy with the cheapest seller you reckon will deliver the goods.

You're not buying the cheapest price due to their product knowledge and extensive product listing. You did that work. Discount for you.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast