Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The mighty splits

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The mighty splits

Well at long last I have found some split rims They looked a bit scraggy but figured they would scub up ok.First job to do remove old tyres easier said than done. Time to brake out the R&R Beadbreaker. Half hour later rummaging arround in the garage cursin an swearing couldn't find the bloody thing. Yell out to the missus ya been playing with my beadbraker again got this in response. Finally found it but had to say sorry to the missus shit.

First thing to do put some grease on the appropriate parts of the beadbreaker so all nice an easy to operate. That done had to sneak into the laundry to find the Lux flakes . Missus had her head in the oven nearly stopped right there an then to switch the gas on nah only kiddin,

The flakes were found easy enough she is so organized somethin I should look into. Well anyway put some flakes into an old icecream container ( found that in the fridge had to eat all the bloody ice cream bloody hell the things a man has to do.) an added some water.

Righto on with the job got ma saw horses out an plonked a wheel an tire on the saw horses to get nice an comfy. Mind you all this was done gingerly some of you may remember my hernia situation can't keep an old dog down I say. I had 6 of these to do so onwards an upwards. Six minutes later I had all the tyres off to easy. What don't believe me oh allright 6 years later all done an dusted.Nah cut the bullshit all up took me 20 minutes for the first one an got a bit quicker for each one as I progressed. I then wire wheeled an sanded and cursed all 6 wheels then slapped some primer an paint.

Next step was to get the tyres that were on the cruiser splits off so I could then put them on the shiny new Patrol splits 5 stubbies later this was accomplished. Cleaned up the tyres,tubers an liners then got them on the Patrol splits.Well there ya go all nice an shiny.

Next job to do off to the tyre shop to see if they balance up 5 out of six not to bad I think to myself an 20 bucks to boot. Tyre guy took some pitty on when he saw me strugglin with the tyres. Got em home an plonked them on the ute. Come up schmick I thought.

Well the missus came out an thought they looked shit the young bloke from across the road came over an said much the same. What are you goin to do with the muddies you had on it he asks . Noticed he had a gleam in his eye thinkin he might fool the old chogger into gettin em cheap. Told him what I was usin the splits for an off he went with my size 9 boot up his arse for good measure.

All up took a fair bit of the week end to do what with some of the blokes in the neighbour hood commin arround an havin a gawk an grabbin some beer from me fridge an talkin the talk about what is better big fat muddies or the chees cutters. Bloody hell didn't get any peace.

Well that was my weekend done an dusted. the old beadbreaker got a good workout an so did the old fella using it arm muscles grew an inch I reckon.

Cheers Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [/SIGPIC]The old girl like me well past the use by date

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Vansleve For This Useful Post:

Family4x4 (4th March 2014), my third 256 (6th March 2014), threedogs (4th March 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You my friend are a word smith.

P.S. rims look sh1t.

P.P.S nah they look good.
    In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Did you get cramp in your finger, bummer and everything was going so well lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea nice one.

Woulda looked better in black... Lol
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have come up ok. So what is your reason for wanting to use cheese cutters?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Have come up ok. So what is your reason for wanting to use cheese cutters?

Towin this thing arround. Get a bit better fuel consumption and a bit more oomph for the 4.2. But mainly got a good deal on the tyres awhile ago. Paid $250.00 for 5 near newies. Had these on a Bj 73 cruiser with a turboed 2h an when towin the van made a difference so figured it would be the same for the ute. Exhaust temps also dropped somewhat on the cruiser when climbing Cunnighams Gap with the van on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gary Vansleve; 4th March 2014 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    Yea nice one.

Woulda looked better in black... Lol
    Yeah you might be right got some black caliper paint lyin arround might splash some on the spare to see what it comes up like.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to see you used the safety strap when inflating mate.
    Cheers, the ferret.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    Nice to see you used the safety strap when inflating mate.
    Cheers, the ferret.
    Yeah mate only got one head an even though it's ugly would like to keep it intact. Also like to be a good boy scout always prepared.In sayin that must have changed out quite a few splits over the years an never had any issues but ya never fruckin know. I think a lot of the drama's relate to the heavy machinery area an not the 4wd fraternity. Might be wrong.Just sayin.
    Last edited by Gary Vansleve; 4th March 2014 at 01:33 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen a 10.00.20 fly apart, no reason why a 750.16 wouldn't, I've seen the damage to the roof of a shed and know of one person being killed.
    so, yes, best to prevent danger anytime.
    Cheers, the ferret.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast