Thread: zd30 oil pressure guage setup

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

zd30 oil pressure guage setup

Does anyone know much about fitting an aftermarket oil pressure guage to a 09 ZD30 ? I was reading another thread about the older DI engine and they apparently have 2 oil pressure sender units. Do the Common rail 09 have 1 or 2 oil pressure sender units ? and if so which one do you rig up to the oil pressure guage?
    Cheers Basil.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to basil For This Useful Post:

BigLuxxy (1st February 2024)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im in the process of going through this at the moment, as Ive just been rebuilding my engine after lack of oil preesure due to loose oil pump cover bolts. The DI engine has a low oil pressure switch and a high oil pressure switch, these are just off/on switches that operate a dash light I believe. The common rail engines have a low oil pressure switch, and an oil pressure sensor which sends a signal directly to the ECM, If the ECM detects oil pressure has fallen below a certain value for given conditions a signal is sent to the instrument cluster to illuminate the oil pressure warning light (red oil can). The low oil pressure switch illuminates the same warning light directly when oil pressure is near zero.
    Ive bought an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and sender unit (electrical type) and will be fitting the sender in the same place as the factory sensor with the use of a T piece. This is at the rear right side of the engine above the starter motor. Not sure how easy this is to get at with the engine in the car. Easy for me with the engine out of the car. The low oil pressure switch is located just behind the oil filter.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GeeYouCRD For This Useful Post:

basil (3rd March 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering if anyone knows if the scangauge can read oil pressure ?
    ------------
    2008 GU 3.0 CRD Auto - Life's too short to eat bad food.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Just wondering if anyone knows if the scangauge can read oil pressure ?
    I have not seen anything saying it can and have not found anything on mine.
    "For example, if you killed your grandfather, you'd cease to exist!"
    ―Professor Farnsworth
    "But existing is basically all I do!"
    ―Fry

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile basil

Quote Originally Posted by Fry View Post
    I have not seen anything saying it can and have not found anything on mine.
    Thank you GeeYouCRD. T-piece great idea. (i was wondering if that would upset things ...can't just disconnect the factory oil press light hey) anyway I will set one up to that sender unit near the starter motor. I gunna set up a pyro and oil press gauge in a pod I reckon. I have already got boost on my scanguage. Oil pressure gauge is always handy if you keep an eye on it. I read about your oil pump drama. Really bad luck. You repaired that one really cheap, (not including your 1-2 weeks labour to pull it all down not to mention the inconvenience too.) What brand guage are you gunna use ? I noticed everyone seems to go for the autometer or VDO so I think I will get one of them. I like the VDO guages, they seem quick and easy to glance at and know whats going on.
    Thanks again.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im using a SAAS gauge, Ive allready got Autometer boost and EGT gauges, but the Autometer oil pressure gauge only reads to 100 psi, which I think might not be enough, as the crd oil pressures are idle speed - more than 28 psi
    2000 rpm - more than 57 psi
    3300 rpm - more than 92 psi
    The SAAS gauge reads to 140 psi.
    Gauge hasnt arrived yet, but I put the motor back in yesterday, and today connected allmost everything back up. Have left the starter motor out for ease of access from below to the sender. Hopefully arrives tommorrow and ill be turning the key in the next couple of days.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK thanks ,I will have to check out the pressure range of any potential gauges. Hope the rebuild goes well. Was the turbo OK after the piston damage?
    Cheers basil.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there, realise you're a CRD but I've got a oil pressure gauge installed on my '04 Trol. Just plumbed into the same point as the low oil pressure switch using a T-adaptor (rear left side of engine from the driver's point of view, just behind oil filter).

Much easier to fit with engine in situ than the point for the high oil pressure switch/oil pressure sensor. Even easier if you remove the oil filter + housing first. Readings are fine from the low pressure switch point and I believe thats also where the Nissan techs fit a pressure gauge if they need to check.

My gauge is just a TIM 100psi gauge which works fine for the rev range I work in (up to 3500 maybe 3750).

Cheers
    Rob

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Barrbeast For This Useful Post:

basil (6th March 2014)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Barrbeast from Scotland. Just had a look at both sender units. It could be done from either sender unit. The one near the oil filter is a bit easier to get to but then the turbo is right next to it so it will have to cop some heat there. Also when changing the oil filter you would have to be carefull not to damage anything when working there. The sender near the starter motor is only accessible from underneath, I managed to get my hand up to it from underneath the vehicle. Then I would have to thread the wires down to it from above,,,somehow. Either spot should work OK, because I am only adding a T-piece into the oil gallery. I think I will try the one near the starter motor, harder to setup, but at least I won't break it when doing an oil filter change.
    Cheers Basil

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My gauge and sender unit arrived today, installed it but wasn't easy, installing the T piece and senders was no prob, but putting the starter motor back in was a pain because the factory sender unit now sticks further out and over the top of the top starter motor fixing bolt. Could only get to this bolt from underneath with a lot of difficulty, also there is a small bracket under this bolt that supports a wiring harness. i had to cut the corner out of it to clear the sender. But got there eventually. By the way this is the place the factory manual says to measure oil pressure. Fired the engine up and was reading 40 psi at idle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast