Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: **trailer brake lights not working**

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post **trailer brake lights not working**

Just put my camper on to take it for a drive and the brake lights don't work, tried the box trailer to check and those brake lights don't work either. Tried the missus car and the trailer lights worked.

I've unplugged the connections on the car cleaned and replaced and still nothing tested with a multi and it read 13.5 on the breake light pin so I'm at a loss.

If the pin is getting the power and there isn't anything wrong with the trailer what could be going wrong?

Thanks in advance

Warwick

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should mention I need to fi this tonight because It's the last chance I have before we hit the road
    2010 GU7, ZD30 CRD. ARB: bulbar, scrubbars, rock sliders, roofrack, front and rear air lockers, twin compressor. OME 2" lift, mickey T's ATZ P3 33" tyres x 6, opposite lock rear twin spare rear bar, Wurton 46" light bar roof mounted, draw system, clearview mirrors, redarc gauges: boost, EGt, engine pressure and temp, trans temp, battery. Dual battery system, 12,000lb warn winch, DYI sound/heat proofing.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plugs not dirty, or lose? Both trailer and car side.

Is it a new plug?? Could be wired wrong.
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you check the earth pin ? Do the rest of the lights work ? Bit odd if its only the brakes

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhurley View Post
    The plugs not dirty, or lose? Both trailer and car side.

Is it a new plug?? Could be wired wrong.
    Plug hasn't been changed on either trailer and it's very clean
    2010 GU7, ZD30 CRD. ARB: bulbar, scrubbars, rock sliders, roofrack, front and rear air lockers, twin compressor. OME 2" lift, mickey T's ATZ P3 33" tyres x 6, opposite lock rear twin spare rear bar, Wurton 46" light bar roof mounted, draw system, clearview mirrors, redarc gauges: boost, EGt, engine pressure and temp, trans temp, battery. Dual battery system, 12,000lb warn winch, DYI sound/heat proofing.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    Did you check the earth pin ? Do the rest of the lights work ? Bit odd if its only the brakes
    Yep all lights work on both trailers except for the brakes but they work when I use a different car so I has to be car side. Just confusing me because it's getting power and it's clean and tight I've redone all connections on the plug and still nothing. I'm about to smash something haha

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see how it could be an earth if everything else works. I'm at a lose now I don't know what to do

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Since the trailer lights work when connected to the other car, the fault is in your car. It could be a high resistance connection behind the socket, or where the wire taps into the brake light circuit, especially if scotch locks were used. Try a bit of crc or wd40 on the plug and socket, it sometimes works. Also check the resistance between the socket earth pin and the car chassis, it should be close to zero ohms.
    Last edited by mudnut; 23rd February 2014 at 11:14 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ye not earth pin if the other lights are ok .
    Is the brake pin firm in the female end and ring on the male it could be getting pushed away when you plug it up, just try pushing on them... Its going to be something simple and you will kick yourself lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has it got those dumb a$$ scotch clips joining the plug to the the harness , they are renowned for failing to make a solid connection

Opps just saw mudnuts post
    Last edited by gaddy; 23rd February 2014 at 11:15 PM.
    If ya not using it buy a prius .....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast