Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kimberly Trip Advice

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the informative information, going up there for 4 months come July

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trailers are fine on the gibb just check your bearings before you go
    and let you tyres down as you would in your 4b
    It's more people don't think and just go for it than bad luck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pickers For This Useful Post:

TPC (25th March 2014)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 720 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G`day Tony
    I haven't done the Gibb or the Kimberly so no advice on those from me.
    But when we did the Canning I towed a trailer and had no problems. The Tanami was rough as, and we were down to 10 to 20Ks per hour but there were plenty of good camp spots along the way. Also stayed and Old Halls Creek which was pretty good and did a couple of day trips from there all on private property but again no problems with permission. Camped at the Bungles for 4 nights and as Cuppa say`s you will need time to see every thing. Did the Chopper flight over the Bungles and if you can afford it Do It. It is a little exy but well worth it. By the way one fell out of the sky 2 weeks after our flight so no more choppers for the missus.Wolfe Creek to Halls Creek is an easy run and camping at Wolfe Creek would not be a problem.
    Only hint I can give you is travel as light as possible and watch out for rental 4x4s they dont always remember that its a harsh land and we drive on the left side of the road. Towing a trailer is not a problem if you take your time and drive to the conditions. Also I ran around 25 to 28psi on all the dirt and kept-ed the speed down to a reasonably and easy pace.
    Sorry this is a bit late but have been indisposed for a month.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pearcey For This Useful Post:

TPC (25th March 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the gibb in 2011 and saw a broken trailer almost every day, the tanami is a long way 1000+km to be doing at 25 km per hour!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to liftlid For This Useful Post:

TPC (26th March 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,044 Times in 3,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Tanami is now very well maintained because of the mining so I believe I will have an easy drive along there.
    I have travelled a lot of rough tracks with my camper trailer in the past and will always drive to the conditions and keep the trailer maintained.
    I have also seen a lot of broken trailers on other tracks and it is usually because people have tried to go to fast and some are light duty trailers that should never be taken on the dirt.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TPC,

You are right - the Tanami has always been a pretty good road every time I have travelled it when I lived up there ....

There was only one time where I had two punctures / destroyed tyres on the same trip, and other than that not one other mishap.

Make sure that you carry two spares so you can keep going - you will rarely need them, and rarely even need the one, but when you do, like I did, it is very handy.

A tip that you probably already know, but try to make the Camper and vehicle rims and tyre size common, so you can maximize your spares....

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

TPC (26th March 2014)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 720 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry guys, I forgot to tell you that our trip was done at the end of the terrorist season and from Tilmouth Wells to the Granites was the corrugated bit from the Granites to Halls Creek was pretty good.
    I know you will have a great trip Tony and will totally enjoy every moment, but if you do need help just call me I`ll only be to happy to cruise up there and give you a hand.
    Pearcey

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pearcey For This Useful Post:

TPC (10th May 2014)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gidday Hardcore, my partner and just now in Katherine waiting for a part for my ute which should arrive today. we are heading to Kununurra today then down to the Bungle Bungle before heading to Fitzroy crossing and on to Broome. Our plan is to return via the Gibb River rd. Sounds like you are heading staight out the Gibb from Kununurra so, if you can, post tome info about the places you go to.

I''l do the same - especially for the Bungle Bungle. Have heard may mixed reports about the road in so may be useful to have up to date info.

Cheers...Colin

15. The Following User Says Thank You to colinlamos For This Useful Post:

TPC (29th May 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colinlamos View Post
    I''l do the same - especially for the Bungle Bungle. Have heard may mixed reports about the road in so may be useful to have up to date info.

Cheers...Colin
    No up to date info, but when we went in to the Bungles a few years ago (on motorcycles) there were really only two spots to catch people out. One water crossing had a deep hole in it. It was quite entertaining sitting & watching confident faces change rapidly when water hit the windscreens momentarily. Bikes were able to cross at the side using a narrow concrete wall.
    There was also one section of deep ruts filled with bulldust, but it was pretty easy to identify before hitting it, the area had numerous tracks to get around. On the bikes we found the ride in an easy one (& my wife was no gun rider) but listening to those returning to the free camp at Spring Creek (@ the turn off the highway) before we went, our expectations were for a really difficult ride. We think most who were saying how it was the worst road they had ever been on were probably folk who had only ever used their 4wd's for caravan towing, & never been off road.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

TPC (29th May 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,044 Times in 3,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colinlamos View Post
    Gidday Hardcore, my partner and just now in Katherine waiting for a part for my ute which should arrive today. we are heading to Kununurra today then down to the Bungle Bungle before heading to Fitzroy crossing and on to Broome. Our plan is to return via the Gibb River rd. Sounds like you are heading staight out the Gibb from Kununurra so, if you can, post tome info about the places you go to.

Cheers...Colin
    Gday Colin,

We are not heading off from Adelaide until 21st June and will be visiting the Bungles and Kununurra before we get on the Gibb River Rd on 2nd July.
    How long will you be spending in the Kimberley's?
    I am not worried about the track condition for the Bungles, as Cuppa said most reports are probably from people who are not used to off-roading.
    When I start the trip I will start a new thread and add my experiences when I have internet coverage.

Cheers, Tony

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast