Thread: Kimberly Trip Advice

Thanks
    Thanked 8,039 Times in 3,194 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FOS View Post
    My wife and I did the Gibb in 2010. We didn’t book ahead, just winged it all the way.
    We started from the Derby side, first stop Windjana Gorge. Camping at the Gorge was $10 from memory, first in best dressed. Solar showers and long drop toilets, no powered sites.
    The axle on the camper trailer seize half way across at Imintji . Neville from "Over the range Mechanical repairs" located directly next to Imintji Roadhouse made up a “new” axle from an old Toyota axle. That got us all the way home to Perth via Kununurra. We had to camped in the bush down by the river for the night which was a bit scary.
    We were heading up to Kulumburu but the road up to Drysdale River Station was rough as guts and we just didn’t want to drive another 160 kms on corrugation like that. Driving in we were doing 20 kph and it was rattling the fillings outta my teeth. Coming out I floored it (90 – 100kms) and it wasn’t too bad.
    Home Valley Station: Best Barramundi I have ever eaten.
    El Questro: Millionaires paradise, to expensive for this little peasant.
    Hi Fos, what time of the year did you do your trip?
    A lot of the places we are going don't have booking but we will spend some time at caravan parks at Broome, Fitzroy Crossing and Kununurra and have been advised to book these.
    I would be happy to avoid these places but the two wives have to be kept happy.
    The broken axle would have been a real drama for you, i would imagine the camper you had would have done a lot of work being a hire one but does makes me think again of all the mechanical things that can go wrong.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygtu View Post
    I dont want to give you you too much advice, because everything has changed in the last 10 years since our second trip up there......

But - I dont think this has changed, everything is fantastic and there isnt anything I wouldnt see again.

A few of the highlights were camping on the beachfront north of Kalumburu, Mitchell Falls, Tunnel Creek, Fitzroy River, camping out on Halls Creek Station ( which I think all costs money these days ), Winjana Gorge.

Mic
    Thanks Mic,

We plan to see all of those, I haven't found anyware in the Kimberly's that doesn't cost money now and except for the National Parks most are very expensive.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    went up to dampier penn last year,one thing I can tell you the caravan parks are not cheap,best one in the whole area imo was the balmorral rd caravan park..which way you coming and going?

If you are keen theres a book called the...ummmm? Kimberly bible(all the locals call it that) had nearly every bit of info in it about the Kimberly..I'll try and dig it up tonight and give you the name..if you can't find it I can send it to you..just return it once done mate....

Found it..it's called "the Kimberly.......................................... ..An adventure's guide...by Ron and Viv Moon......look it up mate an excellent book if your heading that way..
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

TPC (24th February 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rate this pretty highly. Birgit has been doing it for quite a while now, & updates it every year.

http://www.kimberleyaustralia.com/de...kimberley.html

and

the freebie version http://www.kimberleyaustralia.com/ki...vel-guide.html

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Avo (24th February 2014), TPC (24th February 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wa 489 View Post
    went up to dampier penn last year,one thing I can tell you the caravan parks are not cheap,best one in the whole area imo was the balmorral rd caravan park..which way you coming and going?

If you are keen theres a book called the...ummmm? Kimberly bible(all the locals call it that) had nearly every bit of info in it about the Kimberly..I'll try and dig it up tonight and give you the name..if you can't find it I can send it to you..just return it once done mate....

Found it..it's called "the Kimberly.......................................... ..An adventure's guide...by Ron and Viv Moon......look it up mate an excellent book if your heading that way..
    I do have that book and it is great, have been using it to work out estimated traveling distances and times.

We will be heading up via the Tanami and probably heading back the same way.

This is where we have planned to stay so far.

Coober Pedy
    Alice Springs
    Renehans Bore
    Wolfe Creek
    Halls Creek-Palm Springs
    Purnulula NP
    Kununnara
    El Questro
    Drysdale River
    Mitchell Falls NP
    Drysdale River
    Windjana Gorge NP
    Horizontal Falls (Derby)
    Broom
    Dampier Peninsula
    Broom
    Fitzroy Crossing

Thanks
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    I rate this pretty highly. Birgit has been doing it for quite a while now, & updates it every year.

http://www.kimberleyaustralia.com/de...kimberley.html

and

the freebie version http://www.kimberleyaustralia.com/ki...vel-guide.html
    I have just downloaded the pay version, well worth it for $27.

Time to do some more reading.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FOS View Post
    We saw something similar on the roads up there almost every day, last place I would tow a trailer.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stay away from the communities if you can, you will sleep better that way, also allow more time to enjoy the waterfalls on the gibb, it's pleasant just sitting in the rivers after lunch, take more time to explore the places that are harder to get to.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to liftlid For This Useful Post:

TPC (24th February 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TPC View Post
    Hi Fos, what time of the year did you do your trip?
    A lot of the places we are going don't have booking but we will spend some time at caravan parks at Broome, Fitzroy Crossing and Kununurra and have been advised to book these.
    I would be happy to avoid these places but the two wives have to be kept happy.
    The broken axle would have been a real drama for you, i would imagine the camper you had would have done a lot of work being a hire one but does makes me think again of all the mechanical things that can go wrong.
    We went all of September 2010. The only place we had drama getting accommodation was Broom. We ended up getting a cheap motel and only stay one night on that trip.
    The camper trailer, yeah bit unlucky but we were reimbursed for the cost of the repairs and have used the same hire mob since then with no problems.
    Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.
    Adventure before Dementia.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    make sure you take something to help the sandflies stay away if your going to be anywhere near the coast up there mate also,nasty buggers they are.
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast