Thread: Kimberly Trip Advice

Thanks
    Thanked 8,039 Times in 3,194 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kimberly Trip Advice

I am in the process of planning and booking my trip to the Kimberly's and Dampier Peninsula.
    I am taking 6 weeks for this trip and will use up 8 nights getting from home to the Kimberlys and back, would like to have more time but not possible with work commitments.
    I am currently preparing an agenda and booking the caravan parks and activities that need to be booked in advance, i would prefer to plan as i go along but have been advised that as we are traveling in peek season (June,July) we need to book.
    I am interested in hearing from anybody who has done the Gibb River Road and/or Dampier Peninsula, interested in highlights, things to avoid and any other advice you think would be useful.

Cuppa, I have read your trip report which is very detailed and a great read but would be interested in what you would do now if you had a week to spend on the Dampier Peninsula, my original plans did not include heading up there but your trip report changed my mind.

Any advice or comments welcome.

Thanks, Tony.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,653 Times in 3,121 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea..

Leave me a seat...

Please.. I'll do the dishes..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    Yea..

Leave me a seat...

Please.. I'll do the dishes..
    Tempting, I hate dishes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (23rd February 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll show you the best bits if you wanna take me along, but you’ll have to do your own dishes!

if I were going up the Dampier Peninsula for a week, I’d do much the same as I did previously. With one addition.
    The west coast & the east coast of the peninsula are quite different so at the very least I would want to camp on both sides. You will have seen from my report that I thought very highly of two places we stayed at, Whalesong Cafe on the west coast & Bully’s camp on the east coast. There are many other small camps, but some are pretty un-appealing & run down, & some with no access to the water. The addition is a camp which has been set up since we were there & I would be keen to give it a go. It is the Gnylmarung retreat near Beagle Bay on the west coast. http://gnylmarung.org.au I think in a week I’d have to go to all three. Whalseong for it red pindan cliffs & beaches, & great laid back ambience, Gnylmarung for some fishing & being a bit more active, & Bully’s for a bit of each of those in the different east coast environment. Bully’s is also a good spot to base yourself in to explore the top end of the peninsula from.

I could tell you a bit about our experience of the Gibb River Road, but others who have travelled all of it might like to tell of their experience. We loved it but only travevelled part of it, & look forward to getting back up there & seeing a everything it has to offer as well as revisiting the parts we preveiously went to.

How are you getting up to the Kimberley? If you are going via the Tanami, I am told there is some great camping along the Duncan Road up to Kunnunurra. Then westward along the Gibb. Trouble with that is that you bypass the Bungles which are a must see (allow at least 3 days in there). If you are passing by Keep River NP on the NT side of the WA Border, it is also well worth a visit.

Geez mate you have me salivating at the thought of your trip!

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

TPC (23rd February 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I did the Gibb in 2010. We didn’t book ahead, just winged it all the way.
    We started from the Derby side, first stop Windjana Gorge. Camping at the Gorge was $10 from memory, first in best dressed. Solar showers and long drop toilets, no powered sites.
    The axle on the camper trailer seize half way across at Imintji . Neville from "Over the range Mechanical repairs" located directly next to Imintji Roadhouse made up a “new” axle from an old Toyota axle. That got us all the way home to Perth via Kununurra. We had to camped in the bush down by the river for the night which was a bit scary.
    We were heading up to Kulumburu but the road up to Drysdale River Station was rough as guts and we just didn’t want to drive another 160 kms on corrugation like that. Driving in we were doing 20 kph and it was rattling the fillings outta my teeth. Coming out I floored it (90 – 100kms) and it wasn’t too bad.
    Home Valley Station: Best Barramundi I have ever eaten.
    El Questro: Millionaires paradise, to expensive for this little peasant.
    Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.
    Adventure before Dementia.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FOS For This Useful Post:

TPC (23rd February 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FOS For This Useful Post:

TPC (23rd February 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7.jpg

10.jpg
    ivanhoe crossing
    Last edited by FOS; 23rd February 2014 at 08:27 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FOS For This Useful Post:

TPC (23rd February 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont want to give you you too much advice, because everything has changed in the last 10 years since our second trip up there......

But - I dont think this has changed, everything is fantastic and there isnt anything I wouldnt see again.

A few of the highlights were camping on the beachfront north of Kalumburu, Mitchell Falls, Tunnel Creek, Fitzroy River, camping out on Halls Creek Station ( which I think all costs money these days ), Winjana Gorge.

Mic
    Last edited by happygu; 23rd February 2014 at 08:24 PM.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

TPC (23rd February 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    I’ll show you the best bits if you wanna take me along, but you’ll have to do your own dishes!

if I were going up the Dampier Peninsula for a week, I’d do much the same as I did previously. With one addition.
    The west coast & the east coast of the peninsula are quite different so at the very least I would want to camp on both sides. You will have seen from my report that I thought very highly of two places we stayed at, Whalesong Cafe on the west coast & Bully’s camp on the east coast. There are many other small camps, but some are pretty un-appealing & run down, & some with no access to the water. The addition is a camp which has been set up since we were there & I would be keen to give it a go. It is the Gnylmarung retreat near Beagle Bay on the west coast. http://gnylmarung.org.au I think in a week I’d have to go to all three. Whalseong for it red pindan cliffs & beaches, & great laid back ambience, Gnylmarung for some fishing & being a bit more active, & Bully’s for a bit of each of those in the different east coast environment. Bully’s is also a good spot to base yourself in to explore the top end of the peninsula from.

I could tell you a bit about our experience of the Gibb River Road, but others who have travelled all of it might like to tell of their experience. We loved it but only travevelled part of it, & look forward to getting back up there & seeing a everything it has to offer as well as revisiting the parts we preveiously went to.

How are you getting up to the Kimberley? If you are going via the Tanami, I am told there is some great camping along the Duncan Road up to Kunnunurra. Then westward along the Gibb. Trouble with that is that you bypass the Bungles which are a must see (allow at least 3 days in there). If you are passing by Keep River NP on the NT side of the WA Border, it is also well worth a visit.

Geez mate you have me salivating at the thought of your trip!

Cuppa
    Thanks for the reply Cuppa, I agree that Bully's camp on the east coast is a place to go, sounds like paradise and I am not worried about the basic facilities as I am happy to bush camp and be self sufficient. I could not work out where Whalesong was at first but believe it is in Pender Bay. I have just looked up Gnylmarung retreat and it does sound like a good choice.
    We will be heading up the Tanami and plan to spend a day at Palm Springs and 3 days in the Bungles so that rules out Duncan Rd.

When i first booked time off work for this trip i thought 6 weeks would allow me to take my time and see everything but have now realized that i could easily spend 3 months up there and still miss some places.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure of the name of the bay where Whalesong is, but basically follow the signs to Middle Lagoon & look out for the Whalesong sign when you get close.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

TPC (23rd February 2014)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast