OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: TD42 stalling at intersections please HELP!!!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TD42 stalling at intersections please HELP!!!

i have a td42 in a 1988 y60 safari swb i turboed it at christmas and its been going bloody beautifully up until 2 days ago when it cut out as i pulled in to a friends driveway it started instantly from the key then later on that day as i pulled up to an intersection over the last fiew days the problem is getting worse and worse it will idle fine maby a little high at 900rpm and drives and boosts fine thru the rev range but every time i pull up to a stop sign or have to come to a stop it will alsmost stall out and return to idle or fully stall out but it restarts off the key fine. also now if you have it idleing and give it a little rev on the gas pedal to 1500rpm or so as the revs drop back to idle the engine will also cut out.

things i have tried to fix the problem
    . new diesel filter
    . old filter was quite dirty and fair bit of water in the bottom as i drained in to a glass to check contents
    . checked for gauze in inlet banjo on pump but it didnt have one to clean
    . let truck sit overnight and drained 5L from bottom of fuel tank diesel looked fine with no water in there
    . checked over vac hoses and fuel hoses look to be in good condition

so does anyone have any suggestions or things to try or possible cause of my problem ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard mate....

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the rubber hose on the tank side of the filter. Maybe it has small holes in it so above idle it sucks a little air. Took a while to find but my 4.2TD behaved much like you describe but I had pin holes only so it just ran out of steam above 1500 / 2000

May not be your issue but easy to replace the short rubbers which are getting old. (Unless they have been changed) Mine's an 89 so similar

Cheers
    Chimo

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    welcome mate,i had fuel problems(dirty filters)and I also drained fuel tank and it looked fine.But after still blocking filters I dropped the tank out of the car and cleaned it proplerly..You will not clean the tank by trying when it's still in the car.If you can take the fuel pick up out of the car while the tank is still in.(I couldn't do this) as I had long range tank,on the fuel pick up there is also a filter that blocks up aswell.If you want to clean the tank remove it and wash it out with about 5lt of diesel at a time until you are happy that it's clean enough.

All this info of course if it is the dirty fuel that is your problem.
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers and will double check the rubber hoses and its def not low on power and revs right out freely with no miss just as it returns to idle when you have to stop or press the clutch in and coast the revs drop below the idle point and it stalls

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have had the same problem with my mates 2010 st
    cleaned maf sensor and all good now
    this happened last weekend
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have checked and replaced all the rubber hoses that needed replacing checked wireing and plugs n IP loom all seem in good condition sprayed either all around fuel lines and injectors with no difference in revs ive noticed now it stalls out far easier if i give the gas only a small tam say to 1200 rpm then it will def stall if i give it a big rev n let drop in rpm it will drom to 2,3,400 rpm n pick back up but wont stall also now it i hold at 1500rpm the engine will start hunting raising and dropping in revs going all over the show am starting to think it might be the injector pump :/ will try some other stuff tomorrow as i really hope its not IP (fuel guvoner starting to crap out) any other suggestions of things to try??

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would try and get to the filter in the tank,on the pick up..
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon