Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ufi turbo?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I read the last page of the thread, and will endeavour to read the whole thing, but do you have back to back graphs with boost vs rpm vs hp to see just where the 18 g is outperforming or outperformed by the 16g

have the UFI turbos changed over time? I know when I got mine they told me they bought them and then did something something to them then sent them on, I thought they said something about compressor wheel/housing mods.
    Could be wrong.

Also are they really selling them for 2700 now? I am almost positive I paid 1800 for mine...
    97 patrol coilcab ute. 4" lift, snorkel, 315/75R16 cooper S/T's. and about 200rwhp and some expensive bits and pieces

Organising a group buy for 63% transfer reduction gears, check the link here

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My quote was 3200 for a 18g, manifold, all lines and dump pipe. Its a lot of money but id rather do it once. From UFI.

Cheap turbos are a concern if not running an intercooler, but if you run a cooler it will catch all the shit if the turbo fails anyway, and you will notice lack of power long before the engine sucks in oil and runs away (takes a bit to fill a front mount with oil).

So if you run and $400 china turbo, make bloody sure you run a $150 front mount to catch the shit if and when it goes boom.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dales300exc For This Useful Post:

89gqpatrol4x4 (24th February 2014), PMC (21st February 2014)

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 881 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by love ke70 View Post
    RLI, do you work with these things to know the difference between them?
    not trying to be rude, genuine question.

Cheers, Andy
    G'evening Andy,

No offence taken mate.

Due to me being forced into semi retirement due to ill-health, i needed something to keep me sane. With my hobby being my Patrol and Jayco Off-Road camper trailer i was in a position to try different set-ups due to the amount of confusing advice out there.

I was and still am, sick and tired of turbo suppliers bagging the crap out of each others products (totally un-professional in my opinion!) So the best way was for me to try products that i thought were the best option for me. ie the UFI TD05 16G, TD05 18G 8cm Kinugawa and finally i was going to try next the Garrett set-up, before i have decided to go down the 6.5 chev path.

There was other turbo's that were also recommended to me, however, after conducting my research i decided that the above three turbo's were the right way to go.

Before i joined the Army, my civilian background was a year 3 apprentice motor mechanic before i decided to give it way because, i wanted some adventure in my life.

I have always played with and built many engines over the years for the various cars that i had.

PS, I hope i have answered your question.

Kind regards,

RLI
    The halls been rented the bands been paid, time to see you dance!

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I read the last page of the thread, and will endeavour to read the whole thing, but do you have back to back graphs with boost vs rpm vs hp to see just where the 18 g is outperforming or outperformed by the 16g

have the UFI turbos changed over time? I know when I got mine they told me they bought them and then did something something to them then sent them on, I thought they said something about compressor wheel/housing mods.
    Could be wrong.

Also are they really selling them for 2700 now? I am almost positive I paid 1800 for mine...
    G'day Andy,

UFI modify there TDO5 16G's and other TDO5 variants, they are a totally different turbo than a Kinugawa TDO5 16G or a factory Mitsubishi TDO5 16G. UFI do certain mods to there turbos, you would have to ask Matt Craig that question.

I am totally unaware if UFI have changed there turbos, that's another question that you would have to ask Matt.

Folks, there is nothing wrong with UFI turbo's if you can afford the price, then buy one, however, if you are on a budget due to financial restraints, then the Kinugawa turbo is fine. If you want something in between the two, then the Garrett is the way to go.

However, please do not spend your hard earned cash on the Chinese rubbish that is out there between the $250.00 and $500.00 mark.

PS, this is only my opinion!

Regards,

RLI

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PMC For This Useful Post:

89gqpatrol4x4 (24th February 2014), Sherro (27th February 2014)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read the other thread, and I must also say, you are comparing a 16g to an 18g. Regardless of brand thats not a fair comparison. If you were comparing a 18g kinugawa to a 18g ufi then I think the results would be more relevant.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still intrigued how/why you are getting better response, or atleast I read it as that is what you are saying, from the 18g over the 16g, when the 16g is meant to be for low end power?

or have I missed a step somewhere?

Cheers, Andy
    97 patrol coilcab ute. 4" lift, snorkel, 315/75R16 cooper S/T's. and about 200rwhp and some expensive bits and pieces

Organising a group buy for 63% transfer reduction gears, check the link here

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dales300exc View Post
    I just read the other thread, and I must also say, you are comparing a 16g to an 18g. Regardless of brand thats not a fair comparison. If you were comparing a 18g kinugawa to a 18g ufi then I think the results would be more relevant.
    G'day Dales300exc,

I offered an opinion based on 89gqpatrol4x4 when he stated the following “What i want is more power for going up hills on the highway etc and beach driving.”

Because I have had several turbo set-ups, I then offered my opinion based on the various turbo set-ups that I have had over the last two years. After posting an opinion 89gqpatrol4x4 then replied with the following statement;

“thanks mate, that's what this thread is about research and as you said $2300 is a huge deal to me (as it is a lot of people) so I want to get it right!”

I have two friends that have the UFI 18G set-ups and both gents are amazed with the performance of my current Kinugawa TD05 18G 8cm set-up.

Regards,

RLI

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PMC For This Useful Post:

Dales300exc (22nd February 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,426 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can't believe how expensive the UFI turbos are compared to a Garrett. The best quote I had on the Garrett GTX2863R was $1700, which I am now running with and it's great. 20psi @ 2000rpm

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

89gqpatrol4x4 (24th February 2014), PMC (22nd February 2014)

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still intrigued how/why you are getting better response, or atleast I read it as that is what you are saying, from the 18g over the 16g, when the 16g is meant to be for low end power?

or have I missed a step somewhere?

Cheers, Andy
    G'day Andy,

You will notice that there has been a trend over the last 12 months that UFI customers have up-graded from the 16G set-ups to the UFI 18G set-ups because you can get more power/torque from the 18G configuration.

It is an absolute fallacy to think that there is a massive difference in turbo response between the 16g and 18g, if any thing it is only quite moderate. I have found that the 18g pulls harder under load and gives me better top end speed by 15ks with the 18g over the 16g. However, it comes down to what you want. If you want to go down the path of the 200kw club then the 18g is the way to go as you have more options to play with ie, 12mm pump, 4inch snorkel and large airbox, water/meth set-up etc etc.

Classic example; here i Coffs Harbour travelling up some of the hills, when i had the factory turbo set-up i was at one stage changing down to second gear to get my Patrol to climb, with UFI 16G set-up, same hill, i only had to drop to third gear, same hill with the 18g set-up, i only change from fifth to forth gear, due to the better power/torque range.

When i travelled to Sydney on several occasions from Coffs, with the 16g set-up climbing some of the steep hills on the F3 motorway between Newcastle and Sydney, under load the best i could achieve those hills was in third gear. However at Christmas when my family and I travelled to Victoria the same stretch of highway i only had to change down from fifth to forth gear with the 18g.

One of my friends who is in the Coffs Harbour 4x4 club achieves the same results with his UFI 18g set-up when travelling to Sydney.

My opinion again, i prefer the TD05 18G turbo set-up, whether you buy a UFI or Kinugawa set-up. If you can afford the UFI turbo then buy it. If you cannot afford $3,000, then you can still have fun with a $900.00 Kinugawa set-up.

PS, as previously stated, it gets down to personal choice and what you want out of your turbo set-up!

Regards,

RLI

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PMC For This Useful Post:

Sherro (27th February 2014)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your response. Very informative. I understand what you mean now. Kinugawas sound like a brilliant buy for the budget minded

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dales300exc For This Useful Post:

PMC (22nd February 2014)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast