Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ufi turbo?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ufi turbo?

I sent ufi a email the other day and they sent back this.

Hi Rob,

I believe that the TD05-16 small will be the turbo you are looking for. This turbo will tick all the boxes that you have mentioned in your email.

The price of this unit is $2350 inc of gst.

If you have any further questions please ask.

Regards

Glenn Crofts
    Parts Manager

tel 61 8 9259 3090
    fax 61 8 9479 7402
    freecall 1800 199 701
    email spareparts@unitedfuel.com.au
    web www.unitedfuel.com.au

 Please consider the environment before printing this email.

From: Rob Billington [mailto:robbillington@optusnet.com.au]
    Sent: Wednesday, 19 February 2014 4:15 PM
    To: sboyle@unitedfuel.com.au
    Subject: turbo

Hi,

I have a 1989 gq td42 and would like to turbo it. I am based in Brisbane but you guys have a pretty good reputation on the patrol forums, so I thought i’d find out what you offer!

The car is an 89 gq td42
    I have a standard gu turbo manifold to go on
    A dts air box

What i want is more power for going up hills on the highway etc and beach driving. I have low range gears and think that it has enough power for most of the slow stuff i do.
    I was thinking about quick response/ spool time and moderate to low boost i.e. no more than 14 psi. I have not decided wether i will run an intercooler but at this stage probably not so boost may even be a little lower.
    What do you offer for this application, price etc? Not expecting a race car but bit more go would be great!

Many thanks

Rob

That's a shit load of money! would it be that great?
    GQ Snorkle Lockers front n rear

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 89gqpatrol4x4 For This Useful Post:

PMC (20th February 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 881 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Rob,

I had a UFI TD05 16G and they are a great turbo, however, i have now got a Kinugawa TD05 18G and it is a better turbo for low down torque and pulling power for towing my Jayco Hawk Off-Road camper trailer. There is a massive price difference between the two brands;

1. UFI turbo TDO5 16G $2350 inc of gst. Delivery can be anywhere from 14 days to 6 weeks depending if they have them in stock.

2. UFI turbo TDO5 18G with billet wheel $3000 inc of gst. Delivery can be anywhere from 14 days to 6 weeks depending if they have them in stock.

3. Kinugawa TD05 16G $790.00 inc of gst and delivered in 6 days from the factory in Taiwan.

4. Kinugawa TD05 18G with billet wheel $900.00 inc of gst and delivered in 6 days from the factory in Taiwan.

Check with nissannewby regarding the UFI 18G turbo as he has got one of those.

PS, do your research before you buy, work out your budget and know what you can afford before parting with your hard earned cash.

Kind regards,

RLI
    Last edited by PMC; 20th February 2014 at 06:59 PM.
    The halls been rented the bands been paid, time to see you dance!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PMC For This Useful Post:

89gqpatrol4x4 (20th February 2014), MudRunnerTD (20th February 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks mate, that's what this thread is about research and as you said $2300 is a huge deal to me (as it is a lot of people) so I want to get it right!
    GQ Snorkle Lockers front n rear

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Rob,

If you want something in between, i highly recommend the Garrett turbo set-up. There is a few members on this forum that have them and they are a fantastic product with great after sales and service.

My next project was going to be the Garrett turbo set-up, unfortunately due to my wife's needs being an automatic, i am now going down the 6.5 chev market. Otherwise i was definitely going to go down the Garret path.

PS, i hope this also helps you with your research.

Regards,

RLI

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PMC For This Useful Post:

89gqpatrol4x4 (20th February 2014), MudRunnerTD (20th February 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RLI what specs is your 18g? and how long have you had it im looking at buying one thats all
    thanks
    00, Dx 4.2 turbo, dual batt, 3in exh, Boost contrl, boost and egt guages, GTX2867r, cc intercooler, 3.5in airbox mod, roof console,4 x hid spots and hid projectors, snorkle ,winch,reverse lights and tinted windows, safari tuff clutch, now tuned to 155rwhp also 2000 ford fairmont ghia, 1987 mitsubishi 4wd ute converted to buggy

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of the UFI 16g,
    I am interested RLI that you say the 18g is spooling better than the 16, the 18 is meant to be the bigger turbo with more lag and more top end, the 16g better for loads etc.

The UFI 16g is pushing 20PSI by 2000rpm,
    in first you might find tis a little doughy up to 1400ish, I am going to get diesel central to have a bit of tweak with mine and see if we cant get it on song a bit lower down.

everyone needs to remember the turbo is post air filter, if the taiwanese turbo lets go, one of 3 things can happen. Well theres more than 3 things, but lets be a doomsday-ist here.
    1, spits a exhaust wheel, down the exhaust it goes and you fish it out the muffler and buy a new turbo. not so bad.
    2, spits a comp wheel, you get an engine full of metal and rebuild the motor. rather bad.
    3, spits oil seal into comp wheel housing, diesel will burn oil as well as they burn diesel, essentially operating at full noise until the engine goes bang, usually because it runs out of oil to lubricate the bearings, as its busy burning it all as fast as it can pump it into the air intake, the bearing spins on the crank and siezes, the rod has no option but to snap under the rotating force and punches out the side of the block.
    at which point you hope the motor stops, but it might take a touch longer yet.

this is all worst case, but it is also why I dont mess around with cheap turbos. Those sellers dont care if your turbo shits itself and costs you a 12K motor, guys like UFI do.

Cheers, Andy
    97 patrol coilcab ute. 4" lift, snorkel, 315/75R16 cooper S/T's. and about 200rwhp and some expensive bits and pieces

Organising a group buy for 63% transfer reduction gears, check the link here

11. The Following User Says Thank You to love ke70 For This Useful Post:

89gqpatrol4x4 (21st February 2014)

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by love ke70 View Post
    I have one of the UFI 16g,
    I am interested RLI that you say the 18g is spooling better than the 16, the 18 is meant to be the bigger turbo with more lag and more top end, the 16g better for loads etc.

The UFI 16g is pushing 20PSI by 2000rpm,
    in first you might find tis a little doughy up to 1400ish, I am going to get diesel central to have a bit of tweak with mine and see if we cant get it on song a bit lower down.

everyone needs to remember the turbo is post air filter, if the taiwanese turbo lets go, one of 3 things can happen. Well theres more than 3 things, but lets be a doomsday-ist here.
    1, spits a exhaust wheel, down the exhaust it goes and you fish it out the muffler and buy a new turbo. not so bad.
    2, spits a comp wheel, you get an engine full of metal and rebuild the motor. rather bad.
    3, spits oil seal into comp wheel housing, diesel will burn oil as well as they burn diesel, essentially operating at full noise until the engine goes bang, usually because it runs out of oil to lubricate the bearings, as its busy burning it all as fast as it can pump it into the air intake, the bearing spins on the crank and siezes, the rod has no option but to snap under the rotating force and punches out the side of the block.
    at which point you hope the motor stops, but it might take a touch longer yet.

this is all worst case, but it is also why I dont mess around with cheap turbos. Those sellers dont care if your turbo shits itself and costs you a 12K motor, guys like UFI do.

Cheers, Andy
    G'day Andy,

Check out the 4.2 turbo diesel 200 killer wasp club! thread regarding turbo info performance.

PS, you are correct with your opinion regarding Chinese turbo's and for one would not purchase one. However i was very impressed the Kinugawa turbo, after pulling both the UFI and Kinugawa turbo's apart i could not tell them apart, i would not be surprised if they were sourced from the same factory in Taiwan.

Regards,

RLI

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PMC For This Useful Post:

love ke70 (21st February 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RLI View Post
    G'day Andy,

Check out the 4.2 turbo diesel 200 killer wasp club! thread regarding turbo info performance.

PS, you are correct with your opinion regarding Chinese turbo's and for one would not purchase one. However i was very impressed the Kinugawa turbo, after pulling both the UFI and Kinugawa turbo's apart i could not tell them apart, i would not be surprised if they were sourced from the same factory in Taiwan.

Regards,

RLI
    4-2-turbo-diesel 200 Killer Wasp Club
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

love ke70 (21st February 2014), PMC (21st February 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am very happy with my ufi 16g large that i bought from RLI when he purchased the kinugawa, in fact im extremely happy with the performance now, it drives like a car
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

PMC (21st February 2014)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RLI, do you work with these things to know the difference between them?
    not trying to be rude, genuine question.

Cheers, Andy
    97 patrol coilcab ute. 4" lift, snorkel, 315/75R16 cooper S/T's. and about 200rwhp and some expensive bits and pieces

Organising a group buy for 63% transfer reduction gears, check the link here

19. The Following User Says Thank You to love ke70 For This Useful Post:

PMC (21st February 2014)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast