Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ufi turbo?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RLI, have any other mods been done in this time too? IE fuel pump, better exhaust or intake etc etc?

for the record, I remember out west on 35s with my old safari turbo, 14psi, LPG fumigation and a maxed out GQ pump, pulling back in from overtaking road trains at 155 and it still had more legs, and thats uncorrected speed.

with the new setup and the 200hp pump, it would do this without even thinking about it, top speed would be limited by the rest of the vehicle not the hp.

just makes me wonder if you are not/never have been getting enough fuel to make the turbo you have do what you want it to do, still odd the bigger turbo is more responsive for you. not arguing the point with you, more trying to understand you setup and modifications as a whole, to get a clearer idea of what will and wont work for people.

Cheers, Andy
    97 patrol coilcab ute. 4" lift, snorkel, 315/75R16 cooper S/T's. and about 200rwhp and some expensive bits and pieces

Organising a group buy for 63% transfer reduction gears, check the link here

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 881 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by love ke70 View Post
    RLI, have any other mods been done in this time too? IE fuel pump, better exhaust or intake etc etc?

for the record, I remember out west on 35s with my old safari turbo, 14psi, LPG fumigation and a maxed out GQ pump, pulling back in from overtaking road trains at 155 and it still had more legs, and thats uncorrected speed.

with the new setup and the 200hp pump, it would do this without even thinking about it, top speed would be limited by the rest of the vehicle not the hp.

just makes me wonder if you are not/never have been getting enough fuel to make the turbo you have do what you want it to do, still odd the bigger turbo is more responsive for you. not arguing the point with you, more trying to understand you setup and modifications as a whole, to get a clearer idea of what will and wont work for people.

Cheers, Andy
    G'day Andy,

The best top speed that i have got out of the Patrol, was at Christmas time, on a section of the Hume hwy at 3.00am. I managed to hit 145ks. That was running on 33's (285x75x16) tyres.

My Patrol is a 2001 GU 4.2 turbo diesel wagon with all the bells and whistles including steel full length roof rack. She has 255,000ks on the clock, with still the original injectors and injector pump.

Both nissannewby and I have tuned her several times over the last twelve months, ie fuel pin rotated 180 degrees, both nylon washers removed, so there is minimal tension on the spring fuel pin/diafram spring. The injector pump has been advanced by 3mm for better response.

I fitted a new All terrain clutch when i fitted the UFI TDO5 16G turbo and 3inch exhaust system. I have modified the air intake from 90mm to 105mm coming from the snorkel internal fitting to the airbox. I am also running a UFI 3.5inch airbox lid.

When i had the Patrol dyno tuned in Geelong at Christmas at Dalton Automotive, Chris Dalton advised me that the pump was maxed out, (which both nissannewby and I both already knew at the time.) The TDO5 18G was making 25psi boost, which only 19psi was effectively been used, due to the injector pump was unable to produce the fuel that was required.

Chris advised me that a DC (Diesel Central) 12mm injector pump and matching injectors would really get the turbo performing to its proper potential.

So at present, my Patrol is producing 127 rear wheel kw's. As previously stated, the tune that both nissannewby and I had done was well and truly on the money, Chris did 6 runs only managing a 2kw increase in power. The first run produced 125 rear wheel kw's.

You can view further info and photo's on my build thread. (RLI's Patrols)

PS, Andy, with me up grading to a 6.5 chev diesel auto, would it benefit by 63% transfer reduction gears or 85%?

Kind regards

Paul
    Last edited by PMC; 23rd February 2014 at 01:03 AM.
    The halls been rented the bands been paid, time to see you dance!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, cheers for the info.

So the pump was at its max with both the 16g and the 18g?

very interested results.

I may be off to see diesel central at the end of this week so I might have a chat with them about their findings on the dyno

in terms of the reduction gears, I think with the auto you wouldnt have an issue with either the 63 or the 85.

are you getting the auto built with lock up switch etc etc to help on downhills?
    if you are, then the 63 may be better, if you are not the 85 may give you more control downhill. This all comes down to your diff ratio though, as the standard autos are low, but you are manual at the moment so if keeping your ratio, you may find the 85 too low.
    also depends what you drive and how?
    if you wanna jump in, placing order tomorrow lol. undecided whether I will buy extra sets or not.

Cheers, Andy
    97 patrol coilcab ute. 4" lift, snorkel, 315/75R16 cooper S/T's. and about 200rwhp and some expensive bits and pieces

Organising a group buy for 63% transfer reduction gears, check the link here

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice guys, definitely leaning more one way now I think.
    GQ Snorkle Lockers front n rear

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123