OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh no....a new issue for my tb45e. Where to look?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evo View Post
    They do have a maf, also what type of gas setup do you have, as in mixer, injected?

Hoping to get a step closer to my issues tomorrow, hope yours don't take as long to solve.

Evo
    Hey Evo it's the old mixer type mate. And hoping all the best for you. I got a bung back too so know the pain of climbing all over the patrol so hopefully tomorrow you might get the answer you are looking for and it's a cheap fix
    SPEED METAL NEVER WENT AWAY>>>>> ONLY OUR HEARING DID!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ozzymalone For This Useful Post:

Evo (18th February 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just tossing up some experience,
    When my auto went it went bang. Like a boom bang. Then it smelt. Oh god the smell, it was a very distinct oil burning smell. It was very sluggish in 1st but that was due to pretty much no insides in my torque converter. 2nd was a little better. It was normal at idle tho.

In this situation i would be looking at vacuum lines and spark. Air leak somewear? Spark lead knocked while fixing the cooling?
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my wife thinks the smell was plasticky* and not 100% if the smell and the problem where totally related as she was near an industrial estate that tends to pong regardless. Have disconnected the battery so time will tell if this is an easy fix. The exhaust could possibly be a culprit as it is the stock Nissan jobby and it has truthfully always looked to need replacing as it certainly is showing its patina of 15 years running down the beaches and bush. Don't like my chances of getting the bolts undone below the headers as they look pretty well rusted shut so might have to tackle this tomorrow and see how we go. Hopefully I will get a chance to check for air leaks/vacuum leaks tomorrow too. Let you know how I travel.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzymalone View Post
    Hey Evo it's the old mixer type mate. And hoping all the best for you. I got a bung back too so know the pain of climbing all over the patrol so hopefully tomorrow you might get the answer you are looking for and it's a cheap fix
    So my wife thinks the smell was plasticky* and not 100% if the smell and the problem where totally related as she was near an industrial estate that tends to pong regardless. Have disconnected the battery so time will tell if this is an easy fix. The exhaust could possibly be a culprit as it is the stock Nissan jobby and it has truthfully always looked to need replacing as it certainly is showing its patina of 15 years running down the beaches and bush. Don't like my chances of getting the bolts undone below the headers as they look pretty well rusted shut so might have to tackle this tomorrow and see how we go. Hopefully I will get a chance to check for air leaks/vacuum leaks tomorrow too. Let you know how I travel.
    Mixer type gas setup plus possible plastic burn smell could very well be backfire through the intake.
    Being you have had backfire before, plus loose filter box lid.
    Maf may well be the culprit.
    Also, depending what solenoid so you have on the gas setup, I have had a vehicle that was dual fuel previously, and had an issue where the solenoids failed and was fueling both gas and ulp together which runs like a pig and has no power...
    Just some ideas for you to look over.
    And even if the exhaust isn't blocked, it wouldn't go astray later down the track to free up a little more power and economy.

Evo

PS: I found that if you soak all the nuts/bolts on the exhaust with penetene or inox, leave overnight, and, although tight, once cracked, come off easy. Just be careful not to break manifold studs on the head, but in saying that, all mine were ok after the same treatment.
    Pays to put in fresh studs at the same time too.
    Last edited by Evo; 18th February 2014 at 12:51 AM.
    Cheers,

Evo

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Evo For This Useful Post:

ozzymalone (18th February 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I woke up and started thinking. The power is only totally down and erratic when at idle and coming up to speed. Could this maybe eliminate vacuum lines as the miss seems to disappear higher in the rev range? Would/could the symptoms be associated with spark plugs and leads?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I woke up and started thinking. The power is only totally down and erratic when at idle and coming up to speed. Could this maybe eliminate vacuum lines as the miss seems to disappear higher in the rev range? Would/could the symptoms be associated with spark plugs and leads?
    Nah plugs and leads would be consistent if not worse at higher revs. I think evo might be on to something with the running both fuels. If that was the gas it would run like a pig in low revs as it's running to rich, but be some what better at higher revs and it requires more fuel then and could be leaning out a bit/enough to seem ok.

Do you have a snorkel?
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lhurley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. Also of note too. It seems to idle more smoothly on gas. Higher revs, more stable idle but still has a miss. And no snorkel yet lhurley

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ozzymalone For This Useful Post:

Evo (18th February 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reason I asked about the snorkel is that it creates positive pressure in the air intake when at speed, and this causes havoc with mixer type gas systems.

On the air intake, probably close to the engine, is the like stubby cooler type thing over a hole?? That can cause issues to if it is split. A back fire could of split it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the air intake, probably close to the engine, is the like stubby cooler type thing over a hole?? That can cause issues to if it is split. A back fire could of split it.[/QUOTE]

Still not 100% sure if there was a backfire. The stubby cooler type thing you refer to is that like a rubber cap looking thing after the main intake between the mixer/injection and the short sleeve of plumbing? Ta'

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the air intake, probably close to the engine, is the like stubby cooler type thing over a hole?? That can cause issues to if it is split. A back fire could of split it.
    Still not 100% sure if there was a backfire. The stubby cooler type thing you refer to is that like a rubber cap looking thing after the main intake between the mixer/injection and the short sleeve of plumbing? Ta'[/QUOTE]

That could be it, i would need to see it to really know. pics?

For starters just make sure everything is tight, check for leaks and see what you can find. Also check your fluids, give them a sniff to see if they smell wrong.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lhurley For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast