Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extractors & exhaust for 98 4.5 gu advice tb45

Hi guys,
    I am looking for best advice before I do my exhaust and headers.

Exhaust I got quoted $1250 with extractors included, but he quoted me $500 for the 2.5 inch exhaust and $750 for the extractors?

I saw on ebay you can get Genie, Pacemaker or Redback extractors all of them prices are -+ $500 each.
    But I dont know which one is the best of the lot as the prices are almost the same?

And do they realy make a differance?
    I have heard that sometimes the original manifold is better than an aftermarket one?

Let me know what you guys think please.
    o, before I forget, I see you can get an KNN filter for them as well, is that any good or should I stay away?

Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Genie & Pacemaker are much of a much-ness - almost the same
    Red Back - never heard of them - so no comment

you are screwed with being in Gerro, prices are crap for basic things - I got quoted $1500.00 to fit a new clutch in my car - with me supplying the Clutch - lucky I limped home to perth

keep searching Fleabay & Gumtree, and get the extractors, then when your ready - Mettams Mufflers in Midland will do you a good price - have used them a few times, never had a problem
    2 1/2 to 2 3/4 will give you what you need for exhaust
    you can buy complete systems from Fleabay - but - you need to cut it some to fit the extractors

cheers
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate.

I ordered one of ebay. $250.
    Look the same as the rest.
    Here is a guy that will do the rest of the exhaust for $500 and that include the fitment of the branch.
    So the whole system is going to cost me $750.

And the snorkel is going to be fitted this week as well.
    But I saw on the earlier threads that everyone talked about the knn and uni filter but no one replayed and said what there findings were with them.
    Think I will go with the knn.
    They have been a while around?

Hope some one will reply that walked the path.

Thanks guys.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    redback extractors are ok, but if you have the cash pacemaker and genie will give better midrange torque

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it really net much of a gain? I'm considering the same thing but it seems a large outlay on something that may really just be a wank factor...

Anyone with a system fitted got any input?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 805 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can afford to, do it if your engine breathes better you'll get better power and economy. Upgrading intake and exhaust is the cheapest and best thing you can do for your engine

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 93patrol For This Useful Post:

Evo (5th February 2014), threedogs (5th February 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Give Scotts Rod a bell they will have the lot and cheaper than what
    you have been quoted ,they are a sponsor as well check them out in the Vendors
    Best thing to allow all the ponies to breathe
    Genie are Crap buy Aussie buy pacemaker
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

10. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

93patrol (5th February 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BLCGTS View Post
    Does it really net much of a gain? I'm considering the same thing but it seems a large outlay on something that may really just be a wank factor...

Anyone with a system fitted got any input?
    I'm with you!
    Is there really much difference in performance between a mandrel bent set of pacemakers and 2.5 inch exhaust system compared to a cheaper press-bent alternative? Is it really just splitting hairs? Is any minor performance difference lost on a tb42/tb45 anyway?
    Discuss......

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    I'm with you!
    Is there really much difference in performance between a mandrel bent set of pacemakers and 2.5 inch exhaust system compared to a cheaper press-bent alternative? Is it really just splitting hairs? Is any minor performance difference lost on a tb42/tb45 anyway?
    Discuss......
    The point of a bigger exhaust is to help the motor breath so in effect making it work easier, as example i fitted a cat back 2.5" mandrel bent zorst with sports mufflers on my mums ef xr6 and it increased her fuel economy. Can't remember the exact figures but last year my parents drove to qld in it with some friends of theirs who were driving a ve commodore and they had the same economy, roughly about 850km to 3/4 of a 65ltr tank running 95ron.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alitis007 View Post
    The point of a bigger exhaust is to help the motor breath so in effect making it work easier, as example i fitted a cat back 2.5" mandrel bent zorst with sports mufflers on my mums ef xr6 and it increased her fuel economy. Can't remember the exact figures but last year my parents drove to qld in it with some friends of theirs who were driving a ve commodore and they had the same economy, roughly about 850km to 3/4 of a 65ltr tank running 95ron.
    Cheers George,
    What I meant though was that given the TB42 is hardly a performance engine, will a cheaper set of extractors and exhaust perform pretty much as well as a top shelf mandrel bent system? Would there be a noticeable performance difference between say a set of quality pacemaker extractors and a cheaper press bent set of no-name extractors?
    My thoughts are that rather than spend $400+ on a set of pacemakers I could get a cheaper alternative and get 8/10ths of the performance for half the price.......
    Or bugger the extractors completely and just change to a hi-flow cat and 2.5inch system. Though I suspect that will only improve the top end and I'd need extractors to improve bottom end and midrange torque.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast