Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ZD30 Turbo Explosion

Gday,
    bought a GU II 2000 the other week and before it had even gone 200kms the turbo went bang. The turbo over spooled and snapped the impeller shaft, sucked a gut full of oil into the exhaust. The intake is in bits in the old mans shed, getting the nads kit done as we speak, new after market billet turbo, pressure testing the intercooler to make sure that didn't get taken out too. Took the intake manifold off to check for gunk but it looked unusually clean. Got the needle and dawes valves ready to go but not really sure how it all goes together and what to set each valve to. From my understanding the PSI should be set to 13? I'm having real bad luck with this thing so far, I'm starting to regret my decision on buying a patrol but I've still got a glimmer of hope that when she gets put back together it will be a good truck.

Any ideas/pointers with the install of the new turbo would be awesome, chasing some new intercooler mounts too if anyone knows where to find them. Google search intercooler mounts only really brings up front and top mount intercoolers.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, I can't really help ya with the turbo/intercooler bits but once she's up and running your welcome to have a look at how NADS is set-up on my wagon.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mud Gecko For This Useful Post:

rookiepatroller (15th February 2014)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most 3ltrs you can get around 15 or 16 psi before limp mode hits. Open your needle valve right open and first set the max boost using the dawes valve. Then start your truck up close the needle valve right in. You will see the actuator arm on the turbo right up when you close the needle valve off. Then begin to slowly open the needle valve until the rod drops about 1/4 of an inch. This is a starting point for the needle valve. Ideally you want 10psi at 100k's. I don't, I have higher, but that's the ideal point. This mid range boost is adjusted from the needle valve. If you close the needle valve too much your boost will rise too quick and your max boost will bounce when you plant the foot and then settle down again. Open too much and your boost will rise way too slow and the car will have now guts down low then all of a sudden the power will come.
    You will know when you have it right as when you hit that sweet spot the car runs great. Also after all this is done block the egr too.
    Last edited by mudski; 15th February 2014 at 11:05 PM. Reason: grammmaaaarrrrr

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (18th February 2014), rookiepatroller (15th February 2014)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that. Any reason why I couldn't block the egr before setting the valves up? Also, you wouldn't happen to know where I can get some kind of drawing/schematic to help setting it up? One more question, why does everyone rate the provent 200 so much?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rookiepatroller View Post
    Thanks for that. Any reason why I couldn't block the egr before setting the valves up? Also, you wouldn't happen to know where I can get some kind of drawing/schematic to help setting it up? One more question, why does everyone rate the provent 200 so much?
    Your boost will more than likely go all over the shop if you do block the egr first. I can pm you a setup diagram if you like later on when I get home.
    The Provent has a replacement filter that you can clean a few times before it needs replacing and they do a better job than other brands as that is what they are designed to do. I have a shipment of Provents coming but it wont be for a week or so...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a smaller catch can off ebay that was $100ish and works great and fits pefectly next to the secondary battery. Line in is wet with oil, line out is totally dry. Has a cleanable filter aswell. Looks just like the provent. Search this site for Dawes valves setups and there's heaps of stuff to help you out.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a picture of my engine bay, just an idea of where things are ImageUploadedByMotorculture1392691103.754580.jpg

11. The Following User Says Thank You to critta11 For This Useful Post:

rookiepatroller (18th February 2014)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah mudski that would be great, cheers. How much do u want for one of your provents when they get here?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah mudski that would be great, cheers. How much do u want for one of your provents when they get here?
    X2 that mate