OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS/ Mapping software list compiling.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liftlid View Post
    I've used the android version of ozi explorer and it worked great and cost $24 I think, I already had the maps .
    The CFA and topo maps are harder to read as the dotted Lines blend into the background
    I have used the CFA maps for many years and have no trouble reading them. It may depend on the quality/resolution of the scanned file. I can't think of the dotted lines you are talking about. Again - it may be resolution.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    I have used the CFA maps for many years and have no trouble reading them. It may depend on the quality/resolution of the scanned file. I can't think of the dotted lines you are talking about. Again - it may be resolution.
    It's not the resolution it's when you use them zoomed in on the gps, they also don't have as much detail as a rooftop or meridian map

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not the resolution it's when you use them zoomed in on the gps, they also don't have as much detail as a rooftop or meridian map
    OK - When you scan them you can select the resolution you want them scanned at. Because they are a bit map file, the higher the resolution the smaller the dots that make up the bit map. My files are scanned at high res so my dots are so small I can zoom in a long way before I see pixels. I hope that explains it better.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    OK - When you scan them you can select the resolution you want them scanned at. Because they are a bit map file, the higher the resolution the smaller the dots that make up the bit map. My files are scanned at high res so my dots are so small I can zoom in a long way before I see pixels. I hope that explains it better.
    I realise that, it's not the scanning that's the problem with them it's just there are better maps you can use.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    I just want software and maps that have very detailed map of Victoria mainly. As for scanning and then actually putting them onto or into the app is beyond me. Something I suppose I need to learn. How expensive is it to buy them already done?
    I can see this is going to do my head in and ill probably end up getting the wrong one.
    Scanning and calibrating the maps for Memory map/Hema is a piece of piss once you've done the first one. It takes barely 5 minutes. For the detail of the Rooftops maps it's a worthwhile time investment.
    I get Officeworks to do the scanning for me so there's no need to scan and join each map.
    Read my very helpful tutorial on the subject. It really is very straightforward.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I realise that, it's not the scanning that's the problem with them it's just there are better maps you can use.
    Thats odd...

Like BillsGU I use a lot of Fire and Conservation maps and they are 20,000:1 or in some cases 10,000:1.
    There isn't usually much out there that is better or has more detail.
    The Geoscience copies of the same scale don't have anything like the details, for example, the Conservation maps will even have teh forestry blocks and tree blaze info.

You must have a dodgy copy or something.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 12th February 2014 at 08:18 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,285 Times in 6,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For dumb sh1t like me. Please define what a roof top map actually is please.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,411 Times in 6,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's a brand of map. Fantastic high country maps, lots of information written on them

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

mudski (12th February 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Thats odd...

Like BillsGU I use a lot of Fire and Conservation maps and they are 20,000:1 or in some cases 10,000:1.
    There isn't usually much out there that is better or has more detail.
    The Geoscience copies of the same scale don't have anything like the details, for example, the Conservation maps will even have teh forestry blocks and tree blaze info.

You must have a dodgy copy or something.
    My maps aren't scanned!!!

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,285 Times in 6,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So rooftop is just the name of the company who makes the map on paper or digital?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast