OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS/ Mapping software list compiling.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a double din in dash system and I use IGo on road and OziExplorer off road. I have been using Ozi for many years. The reason I like it is that you can scan any paper map and import it into Ozi. You are not tied to propriatory maps at sometimes a huge cost. One example is: I wanted to look through an old gold mine I had read about up here in the North East. The only reference I could find was a hand drawn map in a history book. I copied the page, scaned it and imported it into Ozi. I calibrated the map using the location of creek junctions on the hand drawn map (compared to locations on a modern map) - marked the mine location as a waypoint and drove directly to it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

Avo (3rd May 2014), mudski (11th February 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Hema map app on my ipad, I like it does what I want, came bundled with lots of maps.
    The large download is because the maps are stored on the device, so that it can work when there is no internet connection,
    Other wise it would be like a Google maps and be useless in the bush when there is no internet available.
    2010 TB4.8, 5 speed auto TI Wagon, Beaudesert ceramic coated Extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust, 3inch lift, BP-51 shocks, Black hawk radius arms and drop boxes, Road Runner Offroad billet alloy draglink, Boss air bags, 295/70/17 KM3s, Redarc Gauges, GME XRS UHF, Autometre fuel gauge, Alpine head unit with offroad maps, Carbon winch, Opposite lock bull bar, Light Force Strikers, Safari Snorkel, Duel long range tanks, work in progress.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    I have a double din in dash system and I use IGo on road and OziExplorer off road. I have been using Ozi for many years. The reason I like it is that you can scan any paper map and import it into Ozi. You are not tied to propriatory maps at sometimes a huge cost. One example is: I wanted to look through an old gold mine I had read about up here in the North East. The only reference I could find was a hand drawn map in a history book. I copied the page, scaned it and imported it into Ozi. I calibrated the map using the location of creek junctions on the hand drawn map (compared to locations on a modern map) - marked the mine location as a waypoint and drove directly to it.
    I have a double din too but I find it near useless as it's pointing straight so it's harder to look at. As for Ozi, that's a good idea to be able to scan your own maps onto it. So I take it that not all of them can do this?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    So I take it that not all of them can do this?
    Not all of them can.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    Not all of them can.
    The ones I know that can are:

Hema / Memory Map
    MudMap 2
    OzExplorer
    Androzic (just a raster map reader)

The Hema Maps app uses the MemoryMap program as it's base but bundling it with the Hema Maps for touring.
    I use both the Hema (MemoryMap) and MudMap HD app on my iPad. I have scanned and calibrated detailed high country maps for the Hema app and that is all I really need. It's an extra purchase to grab the import maps license from MemoryMap.
    Lots of folks like OzExplorer but I can't speak for it as I haven't used it but have heard it has an extra level of complexity that I felt I didn't need.
    For turn by turn I use a combination of Google Maps and TomTom (depending where I am) often running concurrently on my phone

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

mudski (12th February 2014)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Drew you are theman in the know with this shite. So are the maps i need to purchase expensive?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which maps do you want?
    If you want the detailed high country maps, I just went to my local map shop, picked up the Rooftops maps I wanted for $10 each and spent a dollar at Officeworks scanning them.
    The map packages from Memory Map are quite expensive (though I did pay for the NSW and Vic topo maps which are quite detailed). They lack some of the track info/notes/historic stuff the rooftops maps have but do give a different view of where you are.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The CFA maps of Victoria are very detailed. They are (obviously) the maps that the fire fighters use and are excellent for navigation in all off road parts of Victoria.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    Which maps do you want?
    If you want the detailed high country maps, I just went to my local map shop, picked up the Rooftops maps I wanted for $10 each and spent a dollar at Officeworks scanning them.
    The map packages from Memory Map are quite expensive (though I did pay for the NSW and Vic topo maps which are quite detailed). They lack some of the track info/notes/historic stuff the rooftops maps have but do give a different view of where you are.
    I just want software and maps that have very detailed map of Victoria mainly. As for scanning and then actually putting them onto or into the app is beyond me. Something I suppose I need to learn. How expensive is it to buy them already done?
    I can see this is going to do my head in and ill probably end up getting the wrong one.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the android version of ozi explorer and it worked great and cost $24 I think, I already had the maps .
    The CFA and topo maps are harder to read as the dotted Lines blend into the background ( you will be zoomed in on the screen)the best high country maps are the rooftop maps but they are no longer available on CD, the maps designed for GPS tend to be the easiest to read.
    If you use your device to tell you where your not located and plan with a paper map you will have the best success.
    Planing with Ozi explorer also works best if you have it on your computer and save waypoints onto the SD card.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast